It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hi all,

I need some help and thought that some of you learned people may have the answers.

I have been receiving some abuse from someone via email and have located the ip address and their approximate location.

Having exhausted all avenues of knowing anyone in that neighbourhood I don't really know what to do now.

Can I find any further info?

I am also worried that they might have access to my mac as they seem to be able to get hold of private pictures.

I know I can report them to their ISP but what will that achieve? Will I get any closure?

Anyway, your advices on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Fanthorpe

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Are they making threats against your person or property? Are you sure these pictures were private on your own computer and not on a social networking site like Facebook? If you feel threatened or blackmailed, I would just go to the police. It sounds like it's becoming a law enforcement issue.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fanthorpe

put your pics into a jpeg file then encrypt the file do this in offline mode make a password to get into windows of what ever operating system you are running make a bios password go back online

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
How did you manage to get their ip address and their approximate location from an email?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by fanthorpe
Hi all,

I need some help and thought that some of you learned people may have the answers.

I have been receiving some abuse from someone via email and have located the ip address and their approximate location.

Having exhausted all avenues of knowing anyone in that neighbourhood I don't really know what to do now.

Can I find any further info?

I am also worried that they might have access to my mac as they seem to be able to get hold of private pictures.

I know I can report them to their ISP but what will that achieve? Will I get any closure?

Anyway, your advices on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Fanthorpe

Either hire a private investigator that does computer forensics or contact the FBI....

But since I worked for a PI firm, if you are really worried, id go the PI route....even though FBI handles cases, not sure the chance of your case getting immiediate attention....

- FBI CYBER CRIMES -

- FILE AN FBI ICCC HERE -

- Cyberstalking and the Law -

article (old but good read)....
- Cracking down on email harassment -

Cyberbulling - National Crime Prevention Council -

personal story (and will try and make it short)...
years ago, i was horribly harssed via a friend who was posing as someone else. it got really bad to the point i nearly had to get a restraining order. PI was hired, cops called, etc....

before the world of proxies and everyone and their grandmother knowing how to use them....it was easy to find someone via their IP addy....that is how I found out she was the one harassing me.....

so if you are really worried....contact authorities.

edit on April 9th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
How did you manage to get their ip address and their approximate location from an email?

You can gather IP addys via the headers located on all emails.
However, an IP does not direct you to an individual per say. Searching an IP wont tell you that "John Doe" sent the email. It will give ISP and general vacinity - in many cases - but not all. If someone is behind a proxy, forget it.

Relying solely on an IP addy for the everyday person doesnt help.....

new topics

top topics

join