It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth [WRC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
An emaciated man in disheveled attire peered out a window at a celestial body as if a self-proclaimed lord of all creation. The planet is blanketed by dark clouds and apparently devoid of life. A yearning overtakes him of things that a normal man would cherish. Like the birth of a child, love of a woman, or an exquisite sunset. Stroking his long beard thoughts continued to pummel his mind of the past, present, and future. Hopelessness and despair pierce his mind like a hot knife. At one time he was adorned with flowers, marching bands, and speeches from important figures, but now the only adoration being given is dead silence while being engulfed by the blackness of space.

The man walks away from the window and enters a room with another man with the same appearance hogtied and with a gag squirming about. Around the man is an array of skeletons that were once men. What happened on that dark desolate rock that was once engulfed in clouds, lights, and radiant blue? We carried out our routine duties, and one day large flashes peppered the surface of the world below. They were different from the flashes we had seen before which was attributed to storms and lightening. Months had passed with no communication. Everything seemed dead. Miraculously our composure endured. Given our isolation at this outpost, a leader had to be appointed to regulate day to day activities when all thoughts of a rescue faded and resources had to be rationed. We were marooned and surrounded by the dark vastness of space and the desolate world below. Why did the others appoint me as leader?

In another life, I had a high-ranking position in the military. Perhaps that is why I was appointed to the position? We faced shortages of every kind imaginable. I did my best to distribute our scarce resources as justly as possible. Water had become scarce, food, and even oxygen. Severe rationing had to be initiated if any chance of survival was even possible. Months had passed beards had grown, and madness began to set in among some of the best and brightest of society. Scientists, engineers, and even the finest of the military. Tough calls had to be made to restore order and some inevitably lost their lives. Our crew started with 15 men, but now it is just the man on the ground and I.

Food had run out. Therefore, I had to make difficult decisions. Desperate times deserve desperate measures. I had to decide by age, mental faculty, and even to the extent of whom consumed the most water and oxygen. To put it bluntly, I had to decide who would live and who would die. Some went willingly, because the very thought of hopelessness and desolation weighed heavily on them. Some even took their own lives without any assistance. When assistance was required? The man below me was tasked with carrying out my decision, and he was called the sheriff by members of the crew. He would carry out the deed when others were uncooperative.

Food was gone, but we ate. However, the group got smaller and smaller. The sheriff and I deliberated on what to do next when any thought of sustenance faded away like the world below. Before long it was only he and I. A week or so had passed and severe hunger pains set in. I became a light sleeper. It was either the sheriff or I. Luckily for me, if you want to call it luck? He is in the position I could have been in. Looking down at the man squirming about like a fish out of water. He thought about the dark desolate world below. It dawned on him, could I be the last one left? All thoughts of being human was now consumed by hunger. He approached the hogtied man with a knife in his hand. It was once said, “The meek shall inherit the earth.”
edit on 7-4-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

You took me on a chilling episode of a very contrasting theme. What if there were no rulers left? You've presented a viable solution to that scenario, one in which survival overwhelms authority, and instincts reign supreme. What better ruler over a man than the need to survive?

SnF.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
kinda reminds me of a Rush song"2112". That song is a piece of artwork. great meaning to it. sort of fits the bill even with todays times in society.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Thanks for the reply and I am glad you enjoyed it. This was always something that has captivated my interest.I found it quite difficult to put into context being leader of the world. I have to admit the world is a big place, and putting a story together about one such person reigning supreme was quite daunting. I was in the same boat as many on Masqua's introduction thread.

Apparently, a lot of writers found this topic challenging? I have thought about this topic to some degree and what if just a handful of people were left consisting of the known world after a doomsday event? Make that group some of the best and brightest of society and remove many of the character traits that makes us who we are. Who would want to be leader under those circumstances? The man in the story became leader of the world, but it devolved into a mere exercise of survivability. Invariably he became leader of everything, but leader of nothing at the same time. Quite chilling to think about.

reply to post by Pegasus2000

I am familiar with the song and a fan of Rush. It does kind of fit it into what went on in the story, and the situation we face in the modern age. What a great conclusion you have drawn. I am glad you enjoyed the story and thanks for the reply. Here is the song for those who may not have heard it.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Whooo! You really pinpoint the desolation and despair of a person relegated to "ruler" who didn't choose the task. Difficult decisions, indeed. Are there survivors on the surface? We don't know. All we know is that those stuck in orbit are no longer of the Earth, and no help is coming. Good read!
edit on 20/4/12 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Now that is what I call, "Burden of command." For me, leadership under those circumstances would be, "Thanks but no thanks." Glad you enjoyed reading it.
edit on 21-4-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join