It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attractive People and Unattractive People

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Are they both in a conspiracy against one another in the job world?

Two examples...

If the employment interviewer is unattractive, then chances are they wont hire anyone attractive.
And if the employment interviewer is attractive, then chances are they wont hire anyone unattractive.

Does that all seem true to you?

A case of birds of a feather flock together.

Have you ever heard someone make this comment to another: She thinks she is all that? What do you suppose is behind that kind of comment?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Attractive/un-attractive is all relative. What is attractive to you might not be to someone else. So... No I don't really agree with your theory.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I think the situation you posed would be completely opposite. Unattractive people hire attractive folks for the scenery, and attractive folks hire less 'threatening' unattractive people. Not fair but is anything really 'fair' anyway?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anon77
Attractive/un-attractive is all relative. What is attractive to you might not be to someone else. So... No I don't really agree with your theory.

nah way dude, there are things that are clearly attractive and clearly attractive so I dont believe attractiveness is relative to the extent you suggest.

I would agree with the thread that attractive females would hire attractive males and the other way round, attractive people are more promiscuous generally so I think we can agree this is true however ugly people, just depends whats on the inside really

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I wouldn't say it doesn't happen I just don't believe it happens all the time.

Although I've seen woman hired because they were attractive at a place I used to work. Of course this eventually backfired after an affair happened between the new girl and a long time employee who was married.

They then seemed to hire less attractive people afterwards but as a Anon77 mentioned, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
edit on 7-4-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

They had a piece in one of the online papers here recently. It read "Recent study shows: Attractive people do better by not sending a photo with their job application," Apparently some places like a photo of applicants (something I've never done or been asked to do btw) with the job application. Maybe I just get to work only with ugly people but hey, I don't feel out of place.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Yes, it definitely does happen.

But you have to look at it like this. Attractive people are going to get hired as the front desk / advertising / retail /etc. as the first person you come in contact with that represents that business.

When it comes to long term careers, as the inner workings of those businesses that keep it running, I feel like the "attractiveness" of someone becomes a non-issue, as compared to their education and experience.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Honestly, everyone would be and could be beautiful if they took care of their bodies and actually took some thought onto what they put inside of it.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I don't think it really matters because this guy just got hired:

edit on 7-4-2012 by redbarron626 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

I don't think so. The job I'm at now I had two interviewers, one man and one woman. Not to boast or anything, but the man who interviewed me was not, some would say, as attractive as me. He wasn't ugly, he just didn't have the appearance I do. Needles to say, I got a second interview anyway.

The second one, a good looking woman in her own right, wasn't interested in my appearance based on the last question she asked me. She took one last look at my job history, looked at me and asked ( I'm not making this up) "Why do you want to work here ?

I'm sure the appearance thing does happen, I just haven't seen it in action.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarJohn
Are they both in a conspiracy against one another in the job world?

Two examples...

If the employment interviewer is unattractive, then chances are they wont hire anyone attractive.
And if the employment interviewer is attractive, then chances are they wont hire anyone unattractive.

Does that all seem true to you?

A case of birds of a feather flock together.

Have you ever heard someone make this comment to another: She thinks she is all that? What do you suppose is behind that kind of comment?

While I think being "attractive" is in eye of the beholder...
Yes Ive seen it happen....often. I admit too, as a woman, ive been in positions of hiring people. And while I would hire based on need of the company and qualifications, I HAVE hired on looks too. Let me explain. I have been in the position of having to hire receptionists or people who are at the front office of companies. When a client walks in THAT person is the first person they see. So if the qualifications and personality was right and I thought she was an attractive person who would make a good first impression, I would hire her.

Shallow? Maybe to some. Good marketing? Absolutely.

I also do believe that birds of a feather flock together....and that goes for looks too. But then again, looks are in the eye of the beholder.

In regards to "she thinks shes all that" I have seen that too.....women who think they are so beautiful and live their lives based on that.
Im too Beautiful

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

That 'Too Beautiful' woman...

I wouldn't even say she is average pretty. Although just having the attitude she's got is pretty much a turn off. Although I do agree with her point that being beautiful or attractive can be a negative because many will judge you ONLY on that.

At the reception of a company is the place to put beautiful people. Behind the scenes I'm more bothered that they are actually capable of doing their job properly.
edit on 7/4/12 by Anon77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Where I work, everyone is initially hired as part-time (with the exception of the truck drivers). When a full time position opens up, they poll the rest of the employees as to who to hire full-time. All anon of course.

This may seem like a popularity contest but it is a logistical distro center and there really is not a lot of time to hold conversations around the water cooler.

The full-timers vote on how hard you work (which in the long run reflects in the profit shares).

While I love working for this company, I would never take a full-time position as I do not have the temperment to work 14 hour days at the pace this place goes. Nope...six hours is good for me.

edit on 7-4-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Statements such as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" are largely false, there is a measureable thing called beauty and its based on symmetry.
Eventually through social conditioning and circumstances we all find different things attractive but babies, wh havent yet been exposed to these things know beauty when they see it, a baby will look at an attractive person longer than an ugly one under normal circumstances.
So if babies stare at you it probably means your hot

Studies have shown that attractive people are favoured by teachers, bosses and even parents compared to their unattractive or less attractive classmates/co workes/ siblings. unfair maybe but unfortunately human nature.

In terms of getting hired maybe what your suggesting could apply when the interviewer and interviewee are the same sex but if opposite sex then I would say it doesnt apply.

Next time I go for a job and dont get it Ill remember this thread and make myself feel better by saying "he was just jealous coz Im better looking"

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Statements such as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" are largely false, there is a measureable thing called beauty and its based on symmetry.

You are right; however, I can point out a crap load of "models" or "actors" (men/women) or just random people that people continually say are "hot" or "attractive" and I find them absolutely not attractive. Maybe im just picky

Eventually through social conditioning and circumstances we all find different things attractive but babies, wh havent yet been exposed to these things know beauty when they see it, a baby will look at an attractive person longer than an ugly one under normal circumstances.
So if babies stare at you it probably means your hot

Awesome! My friend's baby boy loves me and smiles at me non stop....it MUST mean im hot!!

Studies have shown that attractive people are favoured by teachers, bosses and even parents compared to their unattractive or less attractive classmates/co workes/ siblings. unfair maybe but unfortunately human nature.

This is true in so many instances....

ARE GOOD-LOOKING PEOPLE MORE EMPLOYABLE?

Next time I go for a job and dont get it Ill remember this thread and make myself feel better by saying "he was just jealous coz Im better looking"

I may have to rememer that myself

edit on April 7th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by atoptreetops
Honestly, everyone would be and could be beautiful if they took care of their bodies and actually took some thought onto what they put inside of it.

I love this quote, it's almost my philosophy

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I get creeped on by people all the time.
It's a nuisance.

Can't someone go to the store or have a coffee reading a book in peace without 20 dozen Y chromosomes tripping over themselves for an excuse to interrupt a girl's solitude?

It's bothersome, and really really annoying.

This happens to other girlfriends, on varying levels, but, typically such that getting chatted up, or outright creeped at happens at least once every time on leaving the house.

I've talked to guy friends and have even set up experimental tests in the wild where a couple guy friends will all take a table at a cafe by themselves, all of us reading separately and in on the game, and then we wait and see how many strangers approach who, and attempt conversation.

On an over 90% factor, even where the girl in the group is placed at a table least convenient for social access, girl gets chatted or creeped at by strangers totally ignoring the other people/guys present.

It's especially bad on the creeper factor with me since I'm pretty much child-sized, and can pass for being under-aged, though I'm quite very much an adult.

With jobs and HR, I think it really depends on the company and the level of social awareness and training the HR department staff have been trained for. Some studies I recall in passing (sorry no sources) indicate a preference by employers in hiring attractive people over unattractive people where study subjects were given essentially duplicate resumes. In most cases, the better groomed, more presentable, attractive person got the job over the person with basically the very same resume that was not as attractive.
Indication in any study is of course not proof.
In studies and research, we get indications. With strong enough indication we can predict higher probabilities.
'Proof', or 'Proven' for any study takes a very long time, and sometimes never occurs.

Thus, the study i recall seeing, or hearing about, possibly aired as a piece on TV back when I used to watch TV, gave indication that attractive people did indeed have a higher probability in finding success during the interview process.
In regards to gender, it really depended on the industry the interview process was for, but, for some reason, men tended to have a higher success/hire rate over women.

I don't know what the indicators were regarding race.

The following is an article in Science Daily on the subject. I have not read it yet, so, whatever it says may contradict what i've said.

Hiring practices influenced by Beauty

Off to the side of the main article there's some related stories that seem quite worthwhile as well.
Anyway, Dats Dat from me for now.

edit on 7-4-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by wackers90

Originally posted by Anon77

nah way dude, there are things that are clearly attractive and clearly attractive so I dont believe attractiveness is relative to the extent you suggest.

Of course it is. Me I don't like fake enlraged chests (for the sake of vanity) and if it's on a blonde then even worse.
She may be the blonde bombshell of your dreams but I wouldn't want to know.

I saw a documentary quite a few years back, were they were saying that "basically all rather plain or ugly looking people are the normal standard for our species as there are far more "ugly" people that stunningly beautiful/handsome, therefore all attractive people are the freaks (they're words not mine).
It's always stuck with me.

edit on 7-4-2012 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Originally posted by nineix
I get creeped on by people all the time.
It's a nuisance.

Wait a minute... are you pretending to be female?? It sure seems like it.

A simple reverse image search of your art work returns a blog by a guy named Matt Marquis from Houston, Texas (same location on your ATS profile). Even your current ATS avatar points back to Matt Marquis... a male.

But, you keep pretending to be a female in most of your ATS posts... For example, here you talk about trying out a girls anime style:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think it is creepy that you are a male pretending to be female who is pretending to be upset with guys creeping on you.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by veritatem

What I see is someone that likes to violate the privacy of netiquette.

I'm sure you are familiar with creepy stalkers. YOU for example.
A girl is entirely entitled to put up different personalities online for her own safety. Please dig further. If you find the real Matt Marquis, you'll find that he 'works' as a proxy for me, not paid, but, lets me use him. He is indeed a real person.
Dig further and you will find other proxies, other real people.

I'm paranoid. I've had LOTS of bad experiences because of people like YOU. Nosey creeper stalker people that can't mind their own business.

I see that your profile has JUST joined ATS too. I strongly suspect you of being a certain other member who just recently U2U'd me with words violating my online privacy in an attempt to find out who I am.

Your digging is not appreciated.
My privacy is MY privacy, not yours to go snooping around in.

What are you trying to prove? Your brand new profile suggests you as a spineless in purpose making a profile specifically for the purpose of calling me out.

I bet that something I said to some other profile you somewhere upset you, and it was then your mission in life to find me, rape me, teach me a lesson, put me in my place, but, now you've run into one of my proxies and suddenly the idea of raping a proxy doesn't sound so great to you since the proxy is a guy, so, you create this profile to try to 'out' me.

you are very sad.

For the record, I'm a girl. For the record I COULD be a robot, an alien, a 500lbs gorilla making sign language that gets put online. For the record, whoever I am, is none of your business unless I purposefully extend such information to you.

edit on 9-4-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join