It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women's Intuition, Psychic or Evolutionary?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
We have all heard a woman say, "I just knew in my gut...", be it in reference to something that could have a reasonable amount of evidence to lead her to the conclusion (a cheating spouse), or something more unlikely (waking up in the night just -knowing- her child is ill). I have had very real, very scary moments of intuition, and I feel as though they are increasing in frequency.

So here we arrive at this thread. Is this a psychic ability bestowed upon women only? Is this an ability men are just less aware of in themselves? Is this just the way we are programmed to protect our children? I want to open a conversation to talk about symptoms of your own intuitive moments, as well as theories on the origins of what I consider to be an amazing ability.

-Where does this ability to read emotions come from? It has been suggested that it is mainly due to social power. Women, who have been historically lower in social power, spend more time observing and scrutinizing those in power (i.e., men, and powerful women), and become more attuned to their nonverbal cues. It has also been suggested that evolutionary elements have been involved, selecting females who have better ability to decode the needs of children and potential mates.-

Source

One opinion on this phenomenon is that women are simply better at picking up on verbal and non-verbal cues. I can understand this argument, and it certainly explains several of my own encounters with "knowing". However, it does not explain them all.

One night I was working, in my teenage years, as a cashier at a local store. A guy came through my line whom I had never met before. The minute I laid eyes on him I broke out into a cold sweat. I remember this DISTINCTLY before I knew anything about him, because I remember placing my hand on the phone to the office as he approached my register.

The guy was a little older than me, not by much. He was dressed non-descript, a white t-shirt and jeans. He was purchasing a drink, it was late, I was almost off work. I remember looking into his eyes and making small talk, a knot growing in my stomach.

He left, I relaxed, got my drawer together and went to get in the car with a friend who was picking me up. There he was. Talking to my friend. Come to find out they knew each other, and we ended up spending a lot of time together in the same group of friends.

A string of very terrible crimes started happening in my town. The entire town was freaking out because they could not catch the person involved. Every time I got close to this guy, I felt the need to run. I explained this to friends who insisted on hanging out with him and they brushed me off (mostly males). One day I woke up and I knew. He committed these crimes.

I went to a payphone to make an anonymous call to the police department. I got them on the phone and told them. They had arrested him only an hour before I called. These crimes were so heinous I honestly cannot believe that I am still alive today to tell this story, it was one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. This was the first day I truely believed in intuition.

I believe that this falls somewhere outside of just being able to read someone. In the moment I laid eyes on this man I was entirely present, I knew with every cell in my body that there was something incredibly wrong with him. No one could convince me otherwise, everyone thought I was insane. He insisted on keeping a weapon with him, not unusual for people in this area. When I was around I would leave or demand he leave it in his vehicle or far out of reach. This one demand may have saved my life or the life of one of my friends.

Another notable experience is one night I woke in a cold sweat. My son was very young and my body was already in fight or flight mode. I ran to his room, knowing something was wrong. I placed my hand on his forehead and he was burning up. His temperature was 104.6 and shortly we were on the way to the hospital.

One more that I will share, as not to make this too long, involved another night getting off of work. I worked the bar and closed every night for a fine dining restaurant. Every night for four I walked out of that parking lot and to my car without fear of worry of being attacked, as this was an incredibly safe part of town. I was training for management position also, so sometimes it was just me and the manager for several hours after closing.

I always left out the front door, the manager turned all the lights and left out the back. This night, he went to lock the door behind me and I became sick to my stomach. I asked him to walk me out, he said sure they were supposed to do that anyway they just didn't. He was walking a bit behind me, very slowly just to have me in eyesight. I turned the corner and a man came out from behind the bushes. "Hey girl, get your --- over here" he started to run towards me. I screamed my managers name right as he turned the corner and saw the man. My manager started running for me full speed. This scared the guy who was hiding in the bushes and he ran away.

These are experiences that I believe are unexplainable if you look at intuition from an evolutionary perspective based on the ability to notice body language and verbal cues. Of course there are many other experiences I have had that are easily explained by the evolutionary outlook. What experiences have you had that strike you as entirely psychic?

Another point I would like to touch on is the connection that seems to form when women talk to each other. There is an underlying unspoken dialogue that happens that is kind of hard for me to explain. For instance, if I am having coffee with a friend and hear a conversation going on a few tables down that is interesting, I merely make eye contact with the woman, slowly draw my eyes over to the direction of the conversation.

A silence will come between us and naturally we will both listen. As our attention comes back to each other, a silent exchange of "Can you believe they just said that?" happens, and we continue with verbal conversation. We may not actually verbalize this until weeks later, by saying "Do you remember what that guy said at the coffee shop?".

Alternatively in this experience with a man, if I make the same small movements, he gets confused. He asks loudly "Who? What?" and it takes a bit to explain what I am trying to get across.

On the flip side...
A friend and I were swimming close to the shore of a lake, naked. This lake is always incredibly secluded, no one is ever there, and we have done this a thousand times. Suddenly we looked at each other and started swimming out...far out...in a panic. No words spoken, no cue for fear, just overcome with a feeling to run (swim) away. Not five minutes later a man appeared out of the woods.

He watched us for a while as we tread water uncomfortably far from land. Together we yelled, at the same time "Can we help you!?" he asked if we were camping nearby. Together we yelled out a campsite we knew was far down the opposite side of the lake from where we were parked. The man lingered a bit and then disappeared back into the woods. In a mad dash we got our stuff, threw it in our kayak and hauled butt back to where our car was parked.

I can't explain this any other way than our intuition syncing up for a split

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
second, and us just "knowing" we needed to run.

This is not meant to exclude men. I am intensely interested in this manifesting in men as well. Just because intuition has become stereotypically female does not mean that it doesn't occur in men. In no means am I trying to start any type of gender argument, I would appreciate any responses from either gender.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
second, and us just "knowing" we needed to run.

This is not meant to exclude men. I am intensely interested in this manifesting in men as well. Just because intuition has become stereotypically female does not mean that it doesn't occur in men. In no means am I trying to start any type of gender argument, I would appreciate any responses from either gender.
It manifests in everyone, certain people are just more sensitive to it than others. I've had plenty of events like the ones you mentioned (minus the guy trying to rob your store).

I believe it has a lot to do with observation and paying attention to what goes on around you. From what I've noticed most men just seem to live in the 'now' (can't really think of a better way to put it), thinking that the only senses they have are the ones they learned about in school, and they don't take too much time to observe the world around them in real depth. Without that they don't seem to notice these 'connections', either that or they're just brainwashed.

I could go on and on, but it all basically leads back to the fact that we are all interconnected; to put it more cheezily "We are one"

This video was posted in another thread, but I believe they go hand in hand. Specifically around the 6 minute mark when they start talking about the experiments with Random Number Generators.

Just my $0.02
edit on 4/6/2012 by ArrowsNV because: added a bit more

edit on 4/6/2012 by ArrowsNV because: grammar

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I like that theory, thanks for the video. Going off to watch it now

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
I like that theory, thanks for the video. Going off to watch it now
I added a bit to my theory, just fyi.

Found that video in another thread yesterday, it's a real trip, gets you thinking about a lot of existential stuff.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
It seems reasonable it is an evolutionary result.

Consider this. Men breed..we seek out good birthing hips, shapely breasts for milking, etc (talking our biological instincts.). We seek out physical desires for our mates
Women however seek out providers. They pay far more attention to our attitude, our essence. Whereas a man can be a bit turned off should a woman have a odd hair coming out of her chin, a woman will look past a man being bald and fat if he has an outstanding personality and demeanor.

they are tuned into our deeper levels of behavior...genetic trait designed to judge us for providing and protection. Keep in mind, physically fit only is one form of protection. in homo-sapians, a quick and stable mind is what elevated us from tiger snacks to top of the food chain, so our mental state would also be under the microscope.

The intuition is reading us subconsicously..our actions, or different twitches and movements that registers with them on a different level, alerting them of changes in their understanding of us. This comes as a "gut" feeling to them, but really its millions of years of evolution at play here to study the mentality of the males.

Women aren't alone in this however, Men also are intuitive about certain aspects...such as tension in a room and the like..knowing external dangers a bit more than women..when a man is trying to make a pass at the woman he is with, etc..again, biological training and progression.

Thats my opinion on it anyhow.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I stopped believing in "womans intuition" back in college.

You don't need to watch dozens of women go home with obvious Neanderthals then see them the next morning crying and bruised to know it doesnt operate with any usefull level of accuracy.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I can't help but thinking your post is a bit shallow and sexist. I do pretty much everything you say is common of women, and no I'm not gay.

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It's not a male or female thing. It's instinct interacting with intellect. That's how I understand intuition.

Most people are lacking in either or both departments.
edit on 6-4-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I agree that there is an evolutionary reason for our "gut" instinct. People that were oblivious to dangers ahead ended up dead and most likely not able to pass their genes on. People that paid attention to their feelings about a situation were more likely to survive.

Speaking of "gut" instincts, it is a proven fact that much of our emotional wiring is in our intestines.

I have had many instances of my intuition being correct, usually involving my kids. Here are a few:

When my oldest child was around 3 years old, I was working full time and I had her in a home day care setting. I had an odd feeling that I needed to leave work and get her. There wasn't a lot of thought behind it, just the feeling that I had to go pick her up. I said I had a migraine and left. When I got to the day care, everybody was out in the back yard playing....except for my daughter. They had baked a ham and had it out on the counter top after cutting it up. She had gone back inside and helped herself to a big chunk of what turned out to be a big wad of cartilage. I found her on the floor of the kitchen, all alone, turning blue because she was choking to death. I picked her up and smacked her on the back, and the meat chunk flew across the room. Had I not left work, she would have died there on the floor.

Another time with this same child, we were visiting my parents for a pool party. Everybody was inside eating, drinking and visiting after a long day outside by the water. Out of the blue something told me to run outside to check on her, even though she was supposed to be in a back bedroom napping. I found her sinking to the bottom of the pool at the deep end. Another few minutes and she would have been deceased.

Those mothers who listen to their gut, have children who survive.

I have other stories concerning myself, and I have an uncanny ability to sense when a cop is hiding along the roadside ready to give tickets, but I used the examples of my child to bolster the claim that it is evolutionarily advantageous for mothers to have a sixth sense when it comes to their children.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
While my body is male, I think of my intuition as a feminine aspect. Perhaps because of popular culture? Either way, "manly men" are less likely to listen to intuition for this reason alone, thereby reinforcing the "women's intuition" stereotype. But it's not just for women. Anyone who listens to their heart can feel it. Translating what it says into words is another thing entirely which requires a discerning mind and a balance between the two.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's entirely made up, in fact you only have to look at the supposedly enlightened women who still cling to materialistic nonsense to conclude they can't possibly be legitimate.

That's most true if you look at these Psychics. You expect me to believe you can channel the dead and have life sussed and you're running around in designer clothes and for the most part entirely superficial? I don't buy it

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Men are equally intuitive. It's a myth that only women foresee things.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I think women are far more sensitive to instincts than men are. Sometimes I think it's related to the ability to grow and produce a life inside you. S+F to OP.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Anon77

B a h .

Men's instincts serve them equally well. Try a little warfare some time.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

I'd like to say that, at the least only in my humble opinion, that intuition and other psychic abilities are the result of evolution.

Mutations are inherited. From my own experiences with the paranormal, I believe that these traits are inherited. My parents are both somewhat psychics. My mother (Cherokee) hears plants whisper secrets of the future. I know, utter foolishness, but I've seen such secrets validated, or I wouldn't believe her.

My father is German, and he sees spirits. He says they talk to him, and he an see their mouths move, but can't hear them.

I've had similar abilities myself. I don't hear spirits or see them in the traditional sense. Ill just suddenly become aware that the spirit is there. I'll also get a sudden stream of images running through my mind in quick succession, which over time I've learned How to interpret into words and phrases.

I believe these traits are inherited, although I don't know why these abilities vary so much. My siblings and grandparents and most of the rest of our family have different levels of psychic ability too, which I'll go into further detail if asked to. I'm open to any theories S to why these abilities differ from family member to family member, I think I even saw on television one time that other families with psychic traits have the same variance.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
reply to post by Anon77

B a h .

"All Warefare is Based on Deception --Sun Tzu

Seriously, women are equally instinctive with warfare, but men tend towards direct aggression, and women towards passive aggression.

Sexist stereotyping is lame!
edit on 6-4-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Women really don't seem to have better or worse instinct than men. People who comment on their 'intuition' are just trying to feed their ego. There's nothing paranormal about the ability to observe and analyze- whether it's conscious or subconscious.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charmed707

Women really don't seem to have better or worse instinct than men. People who comment on their 'intuition' are just trying to feed their ego. There's nothing paranormal about the ability to observe and analyze- whether it's conscious or subconscious.

You know, I anticipated somebody would say this...

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
reply to post by Anon77

B a h .

Nah, different instincts I think. Maybe just the ability to pick up on different aspects of the same situation? If I hadn't failed the medical because of a back injury I would have tried warfare by now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join