It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Preppers TV show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I saw it the other night.

Anyone from ATS on that show?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Never heard of it before.(watching now)

Here is one of them..

ETA
I`ve watched about 15 minutes so far and I`m sure people can take some good advice from it in a SHTF situation.

edit on 6-4-2012 by gps777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

They are starting season 2 soon and they want the likes of you folks.

They have contact info at the end of the show, if you want to be on it.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I wouldn't go on TV and give away my survival secrets.

The amount of people I share my plans with can be counted on one hand.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I've watched a few episodes online....did you see the episode where some guy shot his own thumb off....I don't think he, or his family got much chance of survivng the apocalypse.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I liked the idea of the show but found the so called experts advice somewhat stupid, with no real comparisons between the different preppers. ThIt show seemed more done to give other people the chance to laugh at these "prepper nut bags" They seemed to focus on all sorts of different survival elements with no common ground, it was almost like that show that compares ninja's with Nazi SS troops etc...... There is some things to be learnt from it but the forums here seem a far better place to look.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Entertaining show to say the least, and a lot of good ideas can be found. I don't like that the preppers always are prepping for 1 specific scenario, seems like that is something the show probably requires. If someone is investing a lot of time, money and resources preparing why limit it to one catastrophic event? I also don't like how the experts have to critique the preppers and always find something that needs to be improved.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I think every group or interest in life has those who just take things so far to the extreme that it gives everyone else a bad name. If that show doesn't SHOWCASE that extreme far side of the survival/self reliance minded people then I don't know what ever could. They're nut jobs. whackos. FRUIT LOOPS!

I'm sorry but in the several shows I saw over a couple evenings I saw no end to outright crimes in home made explosives (molotov cocktails) or very questionable weapons, almost psychologically abusive obsessions with full blown trial runs clear out of town on high stress/high pressure "evacuations" and general menace to society types in overall mindset.

I love the idea that more people are taking personal responsibility for their own ability to feed, clothe and care for themselves without a Walmart or Uncle if things fall apart for awhile. I absolutely don't want Rambo with a full blown armory in my COUNTY let alone anywhere near my neighborhood though. There is a point where preparation becomes an unhealthy world of delusional and dangerously paranoid thinking.

Just my views....take them for what they're worth.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I actually got a pm on another site from someone wanting to do a show with 'preppers' over here.
I declined.
First I wouldn't want the world beating a track to my door should the shops run out.
Secondly I suspect that anyway I'd be too boring/not extreme enough. I'm at the 'low end' of prepping - so basically just sensible preparedness.

edit on 6-4-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I just watched the first few minutes but I wonder.. How do you convince your wife that you NEED to prepare like this and that a coronal mass ejection is so likely to happen that this should be normal for everyone ?

I can see preparing for " something" or " anything" but specifically a CME - Where is his data?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paldr001au
I liked the idea of the show but found the so called experts advice somewhat stupid, with no real comparisons between the different preppers. ThIt show seemed more done to give other people the chance to laugh at these "prepper nut bags" They seemed to focus on all sorts of different survival elements with no common ground, it was almost like that show that compares ninja's with Nazi SS troops etc...... There is some things to be learnt from it but the forums here seem a far better place to look.

While I watch the show for some ideas and entertainment, I find the expert analysis degrading in its attempt to judge us! Its like they are trying to make preppers appear foolish. Yeah its a bad thing to be self sufficient and off the grid

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for them to do a show on prepping for a flood, because that seems to be the one thing most everyone ignores in their preparations. During Katrina I wonder how many preppers watched their coveted horde of food, water and supplies get swept out to sea. And all the underground bunkers they show, good grief I hope they're burying those on high ground. And as cozy as it sounds hunkering down in a nice little hidey hole, it would be really hard to protect it from a gang of hungry thugs that is convinced that all that separates them from a large cache of food is a piece of sheetmetal and a small family. Me, I'd rather throw in with my neighbors if the SHTF and establish an armed zone around our homes. Safety in numbers.

edit on 6-4-2012 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The preppers show is pure entertainment, with a few interesting lessons that might be taken. A far more interesting and realistic show to catch is the Alaskan Homesteading series. Peeps might get a taste of what things are really like, living off the grid.

dsc.discovery.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne
I'm still waiting for them to do a show on prepping for a flood, because that seems to be the one thing most everyone ignores in their preparations. During Katrina I wonder how many preppers watched their coveted horde of food, water and supplies get swept out to sea. And all the underground bunkers they show, good grief I hope they're burying those on high ground. And as cozy as it sounds hunkering down in a nice little hidey hole, it would be really hard to protect it from a gang of hungry thugs that is convinced that all that separates them from a large cache of food is a piece of sheetmetal and a small family. Me, I'd rather throw in with my neighbors if the SHTF and establish an armed zone around our homes. Safety in numbers.

edit on 6-4-2012 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

What I wonder about on Floods and Katrina specifically is how many people were caught in New Orleans and found themselves struggling for clean drinking water. That one aspect more than any other of the whole Katrina disaster had me yelling at my windshield (I was trucking back then..) and just wishing I could yell across the satellite radio to everyone down there.

Fresh Water.....40-60 gallons of it....at every street address, business, store and two bit burger joint. The WATER HEATERS. The media and FEMA types truck in water at ENORMOUS expense so it can be there within HOURS and not days...where it would be far more reasonable. Why? Well....I really don't know. If they'd share that little trivia fact about that big water heater almost everyone has sitting in their home, it would be days before MOST people would even need to look for water as a survival thing. At least days.

If someone were told they needed to, they could hit the water shut off that code should be requiring everyone have...to isolate the Water Heater from outside water lines BEFORE the flooding reaches critical mass...hence...a closed system STAYS clean even if the whole city system is torn up. It's even clean if the water heater is UNDER water. For that case....water heaters even come with a handy hose connector at the bottom so one could connect a hose under water and bring that clean fresh goodness ABOVE the flood waters by hose.

Everyone has their own future for drinking water...Uncle Sammy just doesn't deem that worth mentioning much?

Just my two cents...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
granted the show does make some people look like nut jobs, but in general I think it shows there are lots of other concerned people out there preparing. Gives people better ideas and helps spread information. I think the benefitS of the show far outweigh anything else.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I respect these people.

They do what feels right in their gut.

Me?

I just dont have the time nor money to prep like a lot of them.

but I shall be aware and have the know how just by watching.
edit on 7-4-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I've been watching the show since it premiered. With the exception of a few of the prepper families, I can't shake the feeling that the producers are trying to portray these folks as nutjobs.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I know 3 of the people on the show through youtube there channels are called Engineer775, Southernprepper1, and Dsarti1

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Funny how half of the preppers are fat as hell, if the ball drops I doubt they could move as quick as they would like, how about prepping YOUR BODY for something happening aswell?, you can have all the supplies and things in the world but if your physical/mental fitness fails, your screwed. Funny how the chick talks about "Operational Security" aswell.... yeah..... talking about OPSEC then going on an international TV show revealing everything...
edit on 10-4-2012 by Sypher209 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join