It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Computer Built Inside a Diamond

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Quantum Computer Built Inside a Diamond

www.sciencedaily.com

Diamonds are forever -- or, at least, the effects of this diamond on quantum computing may be. A team that includes scientists from USC has built a quantum computer in a diamond, the first of its kind to include protection against "decoherence" -- noise that prevents the computer from functioning properly.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The article explains how quantum computers use "qubits" that can act as a one or a zero at the same time. (something that's referred to as superposition.) This makes them a lot faster than normal computers using bits which can only be one or the other.

Have only just started researching it anyway, so will leave you to read the article with more details if you're interested.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by robhines

Thanks for the article S&F op. Quantum computers is hard subject for me to follow i am still learning. I still understand enough to know that it is a subject to follow closely

Indisputable

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
That is super cool. I didn't see anywhere in the article whether they created the diamond or used a natural one. But, it gets me thinking. When my parents died, their bodies were cremated. I learned that, for a hefty price, we could have their ashes made into a diamond.

Imagine in the future, what if one could use mom's ashes to make a cool computer?!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
hi op

wow
no interference whatso ever
therefore as it reads 1 and 0 at the same time cancels out flux reversals
no magnetic properties
its like all the old films we seen that shows this E.G:
Superman
remember when he puts the crystals into the holes which shows his father and mother..
and also in FORTRESS a big diamond is used to show the layout of the prison...

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by robhines

The test is a search of an unsorted database, akin to being told to search for a name in a phone book when you've only been given the phone number.

Sometimes you'd miraculously find it on the first try, other times you might have to search through the entire book to find it. If you did the search countless times, on average, you'd find the name you were looking for after searching through half of the phone book.

Mathematically, this can be expressed by saying you'd find the correct choice in X/2 tries -- if X is the number of total choices you have to search through. So, with four choices total, you'll find the correct one after two tries on average.

A quantum computer, using the properties of superposition, can find the correct choice much more quickly. The mathematics behind it are complicated, but in practical terms, a quantum computer searching through an unsorted list of four choices will find the correct choice on the first try, every time.

Though not perfect, the new computer picked the correct choice on the first try about 95 percent of the time -- enough to demonstrate that it operates in a quantum fashion.

This just completely blows my mind. I guess this works because it's able to try every solution at the same time or something like that?
edit on 5-4-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Assuming everyone here knows what Random Access Memory is for (RAM), imagine being able to run multiple process' in the SAME allocated RAM space. The implications would totally crush and obliterate current computing speed records by a leap so huge I cannot even begin to fathom it.

Same would go for processing speeds. Processors could be able to compute multiple algorithms within the same computing space.

I am absolutely drooling over this technology and cannot wait until the inevitable consumer release.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
wow. This is mindblowing stuff.
A computer with that sort of increase in power, granted to the average user it won't make much difference, but for businesses (servers, CAD design PCs, number crunchers) it would be an amazing step forward.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by facchino

Even consumers like you or I on user end would see a considerable notice in difference of power. To put this in layman terms, imagine running a program that used up all your system at once and you were unable to run anything else at the same time. This technology would allow you to run multiple copies of that program at the same time with little to no loss in computing capability.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
For the paranoid folks here is the picture
pretty neat.

From what I know the quantum computers
get very hot that is what is holding them back
now the diamonds can heat up and withstand
quite a high degree.. These leaps in technology
are getting longer and longer and mores law
is slowing down.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Using diamond for cooling? That's freaking nuts. Computer components are already expensive as hell due to all the gold, nickle, and copper in them. I can't imagine how much it is going to cost me for DIAMOND cooling. I suppose I can kiss my liquid coolant system goodbye and start saving now

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

...unlike earlier gas- and liquid-state systems -- may represent the future of quantum computing because they can be easily scaled up in size.

Okay, I get the idea behind this. And I believe I could scale it up no problem, someone find me some really big diamonds...

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Okay, I'm drooling for one like everyone else....

What if this can be done with cubic zirconias' instead of diamond? Although not 100% identical on a molecular level they're both diamonds..

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
QC; years if not a decade or more away from any form of general marketing.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Makes me think about those crystal skulls.

Maybe those are computers also

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by twtankhamwn

Although not 100% identical on a molecular level they're both diamonds..

Cubic Zirconia is a diamond simulant, and is only visually similar to a diamond. I doubt that it could be used instead of a real diamond for this computing method, as the smart guys would have already thought of using a material many times less expensive than diamonds.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
That is super cool. I didn't see anywhere in the article whether they created the diamond or used a natural one. But, it gets me thinking. When my parents died, their bodies were cremated. I learned that, for a hefty price, we could have their ashes made into a diamond.

Imagine in the future, what if one could use mom's ashes to make a cool computer?!

I can see the advertisements now. Intel:your mom inside processors. Only at best buy!

or....Intels are made with people!! they are made with people.....

Anyway. I think diamond computers would be awesome. Extremely resitant to over heating. Strong as a diamond if it falls and does not break. What will the internet meme be then? Im in ur computerz mining yur diamondz.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
There are more uses for this than meets the eye. Especially if this could be used unsuspectingly for or against the benefit of mankind. What if it already has. What if this could be introduced into an organic being.

If then goto, If then goto. Programming in Basic commands come to mind.

My imagination should not be let out to play.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Maybe moissanite can be used...it is almost identical to diamond including heat conductivity.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Like all diamonds, the diamond used by the researchers has impurities -- things other than carbon. The more impurities in a diamond, the less attractive it is as a piece of jewelry, because it makes the crystal appear cloudy.
The team, however, utilized the impurities themselves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join