It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Sky Sounds.... I just heard it too!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
From 600am to 605am .

I'm still shaking.

By the time I realized what this was, it was gone. Part of me is hoping that it will come back, and that same part is hoping that it won't. It was scary!

I have been reading post after post lately about the strange sounds, more often than not, with a large dose of skepticism. I've seen the hoaxes, I've seen the explanations. More often than not I have accepted them. As of today I can no longer look at this phenomenon with a skeptical eye. I've experienced it!

I live near an Air Force base, (about 2 miles) so I know what planes and jets sound like. At first, that is what I thought that it was. But as the sound did not seem like it was fading, with all the weird weather we have had lately around here, and just reading about the tornadoes I started to get a little concerned. We had a tornado last summer that tore through here ripping a path of devastation. We had a freak snowstorm in October that sent many into darkness for over a week. This winter has been the warmest on record, and many weeks in March saw us in the 80 degree range when the usual "high-normal" temperature is around 40. There has been other weirdness (shaking) going on around here that I have pretty much dismissed, because my house is the only one on the street that has people that can feel it.

The sound woke my son it was so loud. It sounded like a fleet of jets, not just one or two. It was so loud that it was shaking the ground. I'm no hoaxer and I will tell you, this was like nothing I have ever heard before.

MODS: if this is in the wrong forum, please move as appropriate.
edit on 4/5/2012 by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh

space station just went over me at your exact timing

dont worry though i heard it 2 nights ago, only 1, i mean i heard 2 and after the first one i stoped to see if i could hear another one and did, then spent the reast of the night trying to hear one again lol.

and then came noises as if LARGE pieces of metal were bashing against eachother, it was wierd

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Wisconsin or near there by any chance?

Are the Seneca Guns phenomenon anywhere near you?

Do you happen to have a goldfish or pets actly oddly?

Have you seen any unexplainable flashes of light in the sky?

Are you near a waterfall (Niagra Falls) or in an area that felt the quake up there last year?

Did family, housemates or neighbors hear it? How did they describe the sound? Have they seen any lights or odd animal behaviour?

Don't worry, relax ... but, this is an interesting phenomenon to me. Thank you!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
Wisconsin or near there by any chance?

Are the Seneca Guns phenomenon anywhere near you?

Do you happen to have a goldfish or pets actly oddly?

Have you seen any unexplainable flashes of light in the sky?

Are you near a waterfall (Niagra Falls) or in an area that felt the quake up there last year?

Did family, housemates or neighbors hear it? How did they describe the sound? Have they seen any lights or odd animal behaviour?

Don't worry, relax ... but, this is an interesting phenomenon to me. Thank you!

I live in Western Massachusetts, so nowhere near any of the mentioned areas.

I have seen unexplained flashes in the sky, but only for brief moments, and no one else around me has seemed to notice them. There is a lot of noise and light pollution around here, so most people would easily dismiss it. Especially being so close to the base.

We did feel a quake up here recently (August 23) but I slept through it. It was the 5.0 that happened in Ontario Canada.

My son also heard it, and it freaked him out. He's going to be checking with his friends at school to see if any of them heard it. We both describe it the same way- very similar to a jet, with a "high wind" sound, but much louder and lasting a full five minutes, coming from everywhere (the sky AND the ground) at the same time .It was so loud that I could hear it through all my closed doors and windows.

Like I said, I live near an Air Force Base (less than 2 miles). My oldest son works at the base. I know what jets sound like. Although there seems to be an increase in activity lately, this was no jet! It would have taken far more than a single jet to create the sound that we heard, and it lasted a full 5 minutes.

A few years back we had the Blue Angels at an air show doing a fly by. This sound was at least 10 times more intense than that.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Whereabouts in Western Mass? I have family up that way, above Springfield. I can call and see if they heard anything.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Springfield is the next town over from me.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Thank you for your answers. I have one more question I forgot to ask.

Do you now, and did you at the time ... have a "high pressure" weather system over your area? Is it unusually dry, windy, calm?

Thanks again.

My notes for future reference:

credits to: www.wunderground.com...

East Longmeadow, Mass.

Lat: 42.08 Lon: -72.48 Elev: 250 ft
Conditions
Sky conditions not available for this station.
Temperature 34 °F
Feels Like 34 °F Wind Calm
Moisture Dew Point: 29 °F
Humidity: 82%
Precipitation
Precipitation: 0.00 in
Daily Precip.: 0.00 in
Conditions
Pressure: 29.73 in
Visibility: - in

edit on 5/4/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: my notes

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

No high pressure system in my area. The sky is clear, and it is not unusually windy for this time of year, but there is a fair breeze.

Also forgot to mention that the birds were awfully noisy afterwards.

The area you mention is about 5 miles from me, so that is pretty accurate.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Thank you. That blows my whole high pressure idea out of the water.

I'm in Texas and last year we had a high pressure sit over us the entire year. I heard similiar sounds a good dozen if not two dozen times during the year, but they lasted 20 minutes. Anyway, guess it's not related to high pressure. Thank you!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I live in western mass as well... there was a bit of unusual weather here last night a bit of wind and rain all of a sudden around 7 pm. I didnt hear anything unusual but i wish i had.
your very lucky to hear something but i know how scary that must of been ... do you know what time it was that you heard it... i do know my son woke me up around i think it was 3 ish... he said he was scared.. (hes 6) i dont know if he heard anything.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
It may have been a test of a F-35 engine.
Not to place doubt in you but I too live near a military base, 3 Miles, and this is the sound of the F35 engine test that last from 3-7 minutes depending of the issue being tested. The only reason to conduct this test would be if a F-35 landed at your base and had an engine issue that engine techs had to test to confirm the engine was safe to fly. They happen infrequent around here but when they do, it is a scary sound.

The only engine that was louder was the F-14 and when that was tested, you thought the world was ending.....

Hope this helps.

Sirric

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I also live near an airport and an Air Force base. When the giant cargo planes come in to land, they are extremely loud and impossibly slow but there's no mistaking what the noise is. The sound of planes and jets taking off and landing is so frequent, it becomes part of the background noise of the area, so I would imagine hearing an unrecognizable noise like in the OP would freak me out, too.

I'm getting to the point that I"m jealous that everyone is hearing these sounds! I want to hear it because it'll make it "real" in a sense for me that they're happening but at the same time, I don't because it's creepy.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Natame

As stated in my original post, I heard it from 6am to 605 am this morning. My son heard it too. The absolute best way I can describe it is sounding like a combination of a freight train and a fleet of jets at the same time. When I first heard the noise, I was in the bathroom (I had woken up with a stomach irritation). With the recent outbreak of tornadoes, I thought that it might be one so I looked out at the sky. It was clear. When I ran outside I could feel the ground shaking (the house was not shaking). I ran upstairs to grab my cell to try and record it when it ended.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sirric

I hear jets and helicopters from the base every day. There is also a water treatment plant across from the river from me that makes a pretty loud noise when it fires up. This noise was far louder than either of those have ever been. They are frequent noises that I hear, I can recognize them easily. The only way that it could have been any jet engine (and specifically the one you mention) was if it was sitting in my back yard.

I checked, no jet engine in the yard.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

i will have to ask my daughters if they heard anything. They are usually up and getting ready for High school at that time i was sleeping pretty heavy from being woken by my son. I will take a look around on the net see if there is any news of booming.. or incidents around the area. I am closer to the base so you would think if it was related then it should of been alot louder here. At least i think i am closer
.. Westfield.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Natame

I'm 2 miles from Westover Air Reserve Base. Westfield is a bit of a distance from here.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Your right.. you are much closer... if my girls heard nothing then i would have to say it was local to your area... i would ask your neighbors and such if they heard anything. Alot of people are up at that time maybe someone knows something.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I just got confirmation that I am not the only one that heard it, and the areas that heard it are further from the base than I (Agawam and Feeding Hills). Sound is described the same way....like a jet, but definitely not a jet. There is something very unique about the sound.

At least I'm going crazy!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Could you identify the direction of the noise or was it omnidirectional?

If it was in the direction of the airbase, it's more than likely an engine test. Being a reserve base, the chances of a F-35 there is slim so it maybe a emergency landing site for a F-35 with Engine issues and that is what caused the noise you heard. If pre-flight checking an engine for takeoff for the day, most aircrews will wait until 0600 to conduct these checks. That is my clue as to this is an engine check. You may never know the answer, but ask around and if any neighbors are from the base, see if they know if a F-35 landed the previous day.

I believe you heard the noise, I am not sure it is anything more than a engine check due to the time and duration of the noise and the proximity of an Airbase.

Keep vigilant and have a recording device ready when or if you hear it again.

Thanks for your post as there is definitely something happening and causing weird noises around the world.

And no you are not going crazy

Sirric
edit on 5/4/12 by sirric because: added clearafication

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by sirric

It was omnidirectional. It came from everywhere at the same time. From the sky, from the ground.

Now, I also feel that I have to mention that I lost 2 of my hearing bones in my right ear to a tumor that have been replaced with prosthetic bones and I also have a 30% hearing loss. So, telling direction isn't as easy for me.

That said, my son (who is 16) said he heard it too. I asked from what direction, and he said the same as I thought. As I have described the sound, is what I have heard, prosthetic bones and dampened hearing. It was painfully loud to me, I can only imagine what he heard. I will have to talk to him when he gets home from school. I have gotten confirmation from others that a fair distance away that they heard it too.

I think we can eliminate the "jet test" because the same sound was heard 10 miles away.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join