It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pit Bull Shot In The Head Trying To Protect Owner, But Miraculously Survives

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
And this says beloved collies and beagles(snoopy!)have a worse temperament than an american pitbull..
what other "family"dogs are rated below the passing 83 percentile?

ATTS Breed statistics

go forth with ignorance, i will continue my pursuit to deny

www.ywgrossman.com...
And believe me these dogs can take ear biting and getting poked in the eye with a smile!
edit on 5-4-2012 by stonebutterfly because: spelling

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture

Wreaks of great PR for such a loveable, loyal pal

www.dogsbite.org...

Yeah, sharks have a bad rep out here in florida. They are always attacking tourists. So we should get rid of all the sharks too. Or the tourists, which is the reason why florida exists....

Again, a dog is a dog. It's up to the owner to make it a friend and train it right. And up to the citizen to be educated on what to do in a vicious animal attack. For instance, do you know how to: fend of a cougar? Scare a bear? Treat jelly fish stings? Set traps? Handle a firearm? A fire extinguisher? Start your own fire? How should you approach a wild animal? What about mountain lions? We have panthers here in Florida as well. Same with alligators.

With all the facts you should know in life, and common sense, you should know how to approach a dog, how to fend off an attack, and how to protect yourself. Your a human being. The animals were here way before us. We are lucky to have such a loyal friend such as the pitbull, the parrot, the cat that craps on the floor, and all these other pets we keep.

Don't be scared of the dog, it should be scared of you. You got thumbs.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sting130u

Best response to this type of thread ever.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

Wow, I'd love to have a wolf-hybrid. Frankly I'd love to have any sort of dog (other than a small dog - can't stand em) right now - stupid apartments and strata by-laws!

But I don't think your example really applies here. Your kids were obviously part of the dog's pack, and so the dog would always be as loyal to your kids as it is to you as the alpha of the pack. But if the dog perceived another child - one who is not a part of the dog's pack - as being a threat to one of your kids, its entirely possible that loyalty would become the reason for the attack. From our perspective the dog has attacked a young child - from the dog's perspective it was just defending its pack from a perceived threat.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have loyal dogs as pets - just playing devil's advocate. I think it is far more a question of nurture than nature - but I do wonder if the more loyal breeds are more dangerous by way of their loyalty.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sting130u

Don't think for a second I'm not prepared for a vicious pitbull.

LOL seriously?
Is the average pedestrian child/adult prepared? Apparently not if there are Pitbulls killing innocent bystanders and such, including BABIES and pregnant woman, so often...

Pit bulls in general are not good pets.They will eventually attack someone.Most of the time it's someone who claims "but they're such loving dogs".No,they are not.They will turn on you.They always do.There's a reason most people do not like them.And it's usually because their owners cannot control them.
edit on 5-4-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Wreaks of great PR for such a loveable, loyal pal

www.dogsbite.org...

Nice anti pitbull propaganda site.

I bet you are a big supporter of BSL.

People like you are as bad as the ones exploiting the animals.

www.americanhumane.org...

For anyone interested here is a link without all the hate propaganda.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

Don't think for a second I'm not prepared for a vicious pitbull.

LOL seriously?
Is the average pedestrian child/adult prepared? Apparently not if there are Pitbulls killing innocent bystanders and such, including BABIES and pregnant woman, so often...

Pit bulls in general are not good pets.They will eventually attack someone.Most of the time it's someone who claims "but they're such loving dogs".No,they are not.They will turn on you.They always do.There's a reason most people do not like them.And it's usually because their owners cannot control them.
edit on 5-4-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

When you say "always", that does mean "always", correct?

My pits have never turned on me. And sounds like other members pits have never turned on them. There are alot of pit bull owners out there....

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by grayghost
Well that's a first a pit doing something good.

I'm no fan of the breed but this one might be different.

This is just one story that leaked out about the good pitbulls do. My pitbulls were amazing, and I had one that slept by my kids crib on the floor and was up everytime he stirred. She would let us know he was waking up. I can't even tell you the stories of the awesome things she was capable of. She was my best friend.

I'm glad this one is different to you, if ever given the chance you should foster a puppy sometime and see how sweet they really are. As long as you raise them right from when they are young and don't reward bad behavior it will be a great dog.

Guess it's hard to explain for me at this point after I just got off work. Great story though.

All puppies are sweet no matter the breed.It's not a matter of raising them right.Some breeds are just prone to being aggressive.And pit bulls are number one on that list.I'm sick of people saying "aw,mine were so sweet!".No it wasn't .There's a reason they're used so much in dog fighting you know.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by grayghost
Well that's a first a pit doing something good.

I'm no fan of the breed but this one might be different.

This is just one story that leaked out about the good pitbulls do. My pitbulls were amazing, and I had one that slept by my kids crib on the floor and was up everytime he stirred. She would let us know he was waking up. I can't even tell you the stories of the awesome things she was capable of. She was my best friend.

I'm glad this one is different to you, if ever given the chance you should foster a puppy sometime and see how sweet they really are. As long as you raise them right from when they are young and don't reward bad behavior it will be a great dog.

Guess it's hard to explain for me at this point after I just got off work. Great story though.

All puppies are sweet no matter the breed.It's not a matter of raising them right.Some breeds are just prone to being aggressive.And pit bulls are number one on that list.I'm sick of people saying "aw,mine were so sweet!".No it wasn't .There's a reason they're used so much in dog fighting you know.

Many types of dogs are used in fighting. And chickens. Again, that points to the individual. That kid that grew up burning bees in a mason jar, or riling up a bunch of cats getting them to fight. Some people are just sick. Dogs want to please their owner, and if that means fighting than they will do it. They like to work for their food, so if they have to be aggressive because of a cruel owner, they will so they can eat.

At the end of the day, its an animal. We are humans. We are capable of accepting responsibility and losses. We can not baby proof the world, but collectively we can be educated.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

The responses here more and more sad.

If ignorance is bliss then what about stupidity?

Take your pro BSL ranting elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOven

I've had enough experiences with pit bulls to know that that MAYBE 1 in 5 are not aggressive.And that's giving the benefit of the doubt.It's probably closer to 1 in 10.So spare me.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I was expecting to read that the police had shot the dog, but it wasn't which is a nice change.

Pit bulls are one of my favorite breeds, very loving and playful dogs. They get such a bad rep because of a few that went a little crazy.

That's the same exact argument that Muslim apologists use. It's also not a logical argument.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

I've had enough experiences with pit bulls to know that that MAYBE 1 in 5 are not aggressive.And that's giving the benefit of the doubt.It's probably closer to 1 in 10.So spare me.

I am quoting this one.

It's priceless.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

I've had enough experience with Pit bulls (as my best friend's little brother breeds them) to know you are talking from ignorance.
I am not a fan of pet mammals. I am allergic to pet dander.
Give me a lizard, snake or (preferably) tortoise or turtle.
But Pits are a good dog to have around. I prefer an Australian Shepperd, but if my fiancee convinces me to get a mammal (We just discovered kittens in our back yard). A Pit would be high on my list for a good dog.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

I am quoting this one.

It's priceless.

Quote me all you want.You know it's the true. I personally could care less about pits.They're nasty dogs and I'll never allow one around my daughter or in my house.You're free to do as you choose,as am I.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Most excellent that this doggie survived.

As for the breed haters,
No surprises here, this dog was and is treated like a family member and was just protecting his pack.
This is how dogs behave when they are not owned by inbred idiots.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
pitbulls are crazy.

i witnessed my neighbours pitbull get shot 3 times with a 9mm by a police officer.

my neighbour and the officer were discussing something in his front yard, and the front door was left open. Dog heard the voices and thought it was time to play...came running outside.

the officer didnt even hesitate, pulled out his gun and popped 3 into the dog. The dog got up and went back inside.

i mean it was bleeding and they had to take it to the vet to get the bullets out and get patched up and everything. but i dont think the dog even realised it was injured. it seemed more bummed out that it wasn't play time.

i was shocked that it just got up and went back inside...

we call him tupac now.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Thank you for posting a positive story about pit bulls. The stigma against them has conspiracy undertones in itself.
As far as I'm concerned they make some of the best family dogs, their whole being just wants to please their "human", which when you have destructive people with these dogs brings out the worst.

My pit get's ridden by my niece like a pony (he's a big one), plays with my friends pet turtle, and let's the cat beat him up. When his tail gets stepped on he looks up as if to say "come on man really"?

A pit bull has won the purple heart medal of valor. Instead of impounding the dog's they need to impound some of the humans who treat them so badly the dog turns vicious.

Mine wouldn't hurt anything that walked in the front door, but when our garage got broken into I found jean pieces scattered about the yard, and the thief's wallet with bite marks on it! We took it and his id's to the police, and it was a wrap. They are super intelligent, about the level of a four year old human, and truly a better friend to man than most humans are.

S+F friend.

Edit to add: several of my friends have dogs & pits as well, when we go camping we take them all with us and they play together perfectly, never an incident though the ratio of males to females is 5:2 .
edit on 5-4-2012 by twtankhamwn because: see above

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
ive never met an aggressive pitbull, only heard about them

and i lived in cali most of my life. theres no shortage of pitbulls in that state

the only thing i dont like about them is they arent the brightest dogs in the world.

playful, loving, and loyal. but still pretty dumb.

poodles and Dalmatians are more consistently aggressive if you ask me. cant think of one ive ever came across that was friendly.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
Pit Bulls are the sweetest most loyal, loving dogs I have ever owned.

I'm not really a fan of pit bulls per se, but I absolutely adore Doberman, and they often get a similar bad wrap.

I wonder whether part of the problem with these breeds is that they're too loyal. Loyalty is a valuable trait like faith, but without the capacity for logic and reasoning it can be downright dangerous.

I don't think for a second that these breeds, whether loyal or not, should be outlawed - but I wonder whether this trait which people generally consider a positive thing might actually be part of the problem.

I think you are correct. Pit bulls are VERY protective and obedient. They have a very strong "pack" mentality and do not do well when isolated to a back yard with no human interaction.. They are highly impressionable when young and that's their downfall. If their owners are not strong willed and don't teach them how to tame their aggressiveness, it stays with them.

We rescued a 6 week old dog that looked lab but it turned out he was 1/2 pit. Even at that young at, it took a couple weeks of firm training to get him to respect us and our other dog. We named him "Norman" after Norman Bates because that dog was a little crazy. Luckily for the 1/2 pit, our shepherd was very patient. The 1/2 pit turned out to be a very good dog but always had a slightly aggressive side.

He was protective but understood his limits. We only had one situation where we turned him on a stray dog that was getting too close for comfort to my son who was 4 at the time. That fight lasted about 5 seconds because old Norm backed off when I called him back.
edit on 5-4-2012 by MattNC because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join