It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Advise/ Suggestion From Dog Owners & Lovers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
More walking can never hurt. We have a pretty big fenced in yard and I work 12 hour days, so we can't get out as much as I'd like.. Dogs in the wild would be walking and running non stop all day, so as much walking as possible is good for burning excess energy and maintaining good health. You sound like a great dog owner and your dog sounds lucky.

All dogs have essentially the same dietary needs, with the exception of specific health requirements. If your home made food meets these needs I see no reason why they wouldn't work the same for a beagle as they would for a retriever.

I'm not a vet, but my mom was a vet tech. There are definitely people much more qualified than I am to answer these questions, but this is my take on it.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Thank you so so much for everything and sharing all the valuable knowledge and patiently replying all my queries. You are the best

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
If the Cat people are getting jealous here's something for you

Take that Cat people

edit on 4-4-2012 by Ek Bharatiya because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
OP has asked me to talk about cockers. OK. First, a clarification.

To an American, "Cocker Spaniel" means "American Cocker Spaniel."
To an Englishman, "Cocker Spaniel" means "English Cocker Spaniel."

The differences are minor. An English Cocker Spaniel is a bit larger than the American variety. Its legs are longer and its snout is longer, too. An American Cocker Spaniel is built a bit lower to the ground and is a bit huskier in its build. Its bark is a little deeper. They come in several colors: Black, "Fawn" (tan), "Rust" (reddish), and "Parti-colored" (Black & white), and sometimes tri-colored (black, white, rust).

Moses up there is a good example of a parti-colored American Cocker. he is also a "Field Cocker," which is a variation with rather large feet bred to allow him balance in marshes. His front feet were larger than my hands and I'm a six foot male. Cockers were originally bred to retreive Wood Cocks, a bird native to England, hence the name. Moses was a rather large male. He weighed 38 pounds. He lived for 16 years. He died last summer. He was my only dog. Most other dogs in my life, owned by neighbors and friends, were also cockers. He was the last survivor of his litter, which I followed because my wife's ex had Mama Dog (Margaret Rose), and his brother and sister. Females are probably in the mid twenty pound range.

Disposition wise they are very gentle and unassuming. They aren't really aggressive. They are known as "fooders" because they are extremely interested in anything to eat and will eat just about anything. About the only thing Moses wouldn't eat was green olives. He loved tomatoes and, indeed, anything else. I kept him mostly on an Iams diet of dry food and a little garlic bread, which kept the fleas off of him. Never had a problem. Oh, he was aggressive with other dogs if they got close to the dishwasher. He owned the dishwasher because sometimnes he would manage to lick spoons clean when it was open. He went after my daughter's Black Lab once during Thanksgiving (about five times his size). Nobody was hurt, but we do have a story to tell.

I'd judge them very good around small children. Like many dogs, they'll even take a little abuse, a few pulled ears without retaliating. I've only known one cocker that I would consider a bit hyper. She was a small female, Moses' sister, Elizabite, and she seemed pretty psychotic to me. Moses' brother, Sylvster, was as mellow as you could be. Cockers aren't big enough to accidentally hurt a child. I had to rescue a neighbor boy from his own Golden Retriever once. the kid was getting pulled around the yard like a chew toy. The dog was just excited; he meant no real harm, but he was so big that the kid couldn't handle him.

Cockers are lovers. They have a big heart. Moses thought he was a lap dog (Uumph!!) and loved scratches and human attention. They do not like to be left alone and will follow you everywhere. That's the nature of the species. They will follow you into the bathroom if you let them. I never let Moses sleep on the bed, but right below me on the floor. As ususal, if you set the ground rules, you'll be fine. If you are too liberal a parent, you can create a monster! They play a good game of ball and tug of war, which they really do try to win. I never had 'authority' problems with him. He could learn some tricks, but you have to be persistent. They are not as bright as an Australian Shepherd. One odd thing. Once he smelled you once, he knew who you were forever. You could come back a year later. He'd be wary until he smelled you and then it was like, "Oh, yeah. I remember you!" But the point remains: Moses was not good with strangers. He would not come to you if he didn't know you, especially to men.

American Cockers do have long curly hair and must be groomed periodically. (Not sure about English cockers) They need haircuts just like humans. I can't say about hot climates. I live in a very temperate area. He seemed to take the few days of hot weather we have okay. Cocker's ears can be an issue because they fold over. They need attention so they don't get a yeast infection. They make several different potions that you just spray in there and mush about. If you use it weekly they should be okay. I did not have any serious health issues with him until the end.

Anyway. Hope this helps. Moses was my only dog and I sure miss him.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

I'm going to have to agree with your vet. Personally, I think the Beagle would be the best match up with the lab. Although, I can't imagine why you'd want two dogs in an apartment in India.

Still, to each their own...best of luck there!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thank you for sharing that. It has been really helpful and it sounds like your dog had a wonderful life and you were a good dog owner. I will not ask you further regarding this as I can understand it may hurt remembering your old pet. If I unintentionally caused any hurt please forgive me.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

During my childhood, we had both an English Cocker Spaniel and after she died, an American Cocker. They are the most loving, gentle animals on the face of this planet. I still miss them both and it has been decades.

Condolences on your loss, schuyler. I know what you mean when you say you're still missing Moses. I still miss mine, too.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

After hearing about Cocker and Beagle, my heart goes for both but ultimately I will get one of them. I will not get a pup with my current Lab though only "after" him. He is old and needs peace and rest at this time and all the attention and love he can get.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ek Bharatiya

Thank you for sharing that. It has been really helpful and it sounds like your dog had a wonderful life and you were a good dog owner. I will not ask you further regarding this as I can understand it may hurt remembering your old pet. If I unintentionally caused any hurt please forgive me.

OH, that's OK. You couldn't have known. If you have ?s please ask. Yeah, I get a little teary sometimes still, but remembering him is a good thing. I grew up with cockers on both sides of me and seem to encounter cockers on a regular basis. It was a natural for me to get one when the time came.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I agree on the Jack Russell....they are HIGHLY intelligent and sociable.....it's what I would choose. Any Terrier which is of the short hair type actually. One thing though....they require lots of attention from their owners and lots of play and exercise.

There was a TV show for kids called "Wishbone"....sooo cute! Check this out to see a Jack Russell and how well trained this one was!

Anyone else remember "Wishbone"?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Schuyler....I share your love of cockers and spaniels in general. My Hiedi just passed this year ( here she was with her favorite pastime "killing palm fronds" LOL!

However, her later years were VERY expensive. They have many issues.....but are worth it IF you have the time and money for maintenance.

They have eye issues (Hiedi had to have one removed due to "cherry eye" when she got old)

OP they are playful, and funny, as well as smart....but beware if you buy one. If it's not good breeding they can have "rage syndrome"...you can look it up. Also, much much grooming and maintenance. EARS.....they have to wear a "snood" when eating, else food gets all in their ears....also you must keep snood on at times to let ears get air circulation or PEEEEEW!

This is true with ANY long eared breed.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

If the Cat people are getting jealous here's something for you

hehe .... I'm a cat and dog person, but I LOVE cats...

here's one for you...

Dog says:

"These humans, feed me and take care of all my needs...THEY must be Gods!"

Cat says:

"These humans feed me and take care of all my needs....I....must be a God!"

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I was going to get a Beagle myself but things went another way and I ended up with an American Pitbull Terrier.
I would'nt change him for a Beagle now, but if I was you I'd get a Beagle.
Ever heard the phrase "it does exactly what it says on the tin"?
Listen to your vet and your ATS fellow members and get a Beagle.
But like the other member said; remember they're hounds and need to be kept busy.
Good luck with that

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Thank you for all the suggestion for Cocker Spaniel and that was a good one
I used to have a cat when I was small but I'm more in love with dogs.

reply to post by Dr Cosma

Thanks. Yeh thanks to everyone here I have received some wonderful suggestions. Someday when I get a bigger house with a yard and all I would like to get a Boxer..I think they are just amazing and very lovable.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Glad to hear it.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

my advice? DO NOT get a new animal if you plan on bringing a baby into the world. until you understand the absolute incredible amount of time and stress a new baby causes, your puppy/dog will either end up being neglected or another source of stress.

want a baby? have a baby and be a parent and let that baby be the focus of your attention.

get a dog later on down the road when you have the parenting figured out.
edit on April 5th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks for the advise, I have also thought about this and have discussed it. I understand it's a huge responsibility.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Have you seen the tv show, Dogs 101? If you don't get it, you might find it online.

Its an excellent show, they feature 2-4 breeds at a time but tell you everything that you could want to know, their history, what they were bred for, what they do now, famous dogs, the pros, the cons. Chronic health problems, what grooming is like, do you need to be an experienced owner, etc. Are they good with kids, not good with kids, low energy, high energy, protective, anything you could want to know.

You should give it a watch and get some ideas.
edit on 11-4-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Never heard of that show but will try to find and watch it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join