It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Advise/ Suggestion From Dog Owners & Lovers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Hi,

I am in a dilemma and need your help dog lovers and everyone who knows about dogs. I have a 13 year old Golden Labrador and now planning to get a new pup "after" my current dog. Like anyone else I want to make an intelligent decision not only for my sake but also for dog's happiness so I have come here seeking help and advise. I also had a Doberman before my Lab and now I want to get and try a new breed "after" my current dog.

I will explain my situation to you. I live in New Delhi which gets pretty hot through our prolonged summers so I need a dog which can sustain this kind of environment. I live in a duplex apartment so the dog should not be very large or aggressive. Me and my gf are planning for a kid soon so the dog should also be good to kids.

I have scoured several dog related websites and talked with my dog's current vet. She has suggested me two, Pug and a Beagle. I have four breed in mind:

1. Beagle : Suggested by my dog's vet. Absolutely adore it and is the right size for me and after reading through several websites found it is very homely and fond of children's.

2. Pug: Another small breed which my dog's vet. Is the right size and lovable. The only thing I'm put off is that it's age is mentioned as only 8-10 yr old in several websites.

Remaining two breeds are my own choice but the vet. advised me against these two. She said these two breed has difficulty in surviving in such a hot climate.

3. Saint Bernard: Love this one too but it's very large and has heavy fur so might not be able to sustain such a hot climate.

4. English Bulldog: Absolutely adore this one and my heart is set on this one but the vet. is against it due to hot climate.

Now I need your advise, which one should I go for? Apart from these four do you have anymore suggestions? Can you tell me something more about the dog's I have posted here from your own experience? The vet. suggested me I should go for a Labrador or Retriever again but I really want to try a different breed. Also I was thinking about French Bulldog. Anyone have any idea about them? If you have anything to share please post them here. I will be checking on this thread frequently.

Also post your favourite dog's here and pictures and stories or anything about them here

Edit to clarify: Several posters have advised and I just want to clarify I am planning this pup "after" my current dog not for now. I will not get a pup while I have my current dog. I love my dog and will never think about replacing him while he is there for anything or anyone at all.
edit on 4-4-2012 by Ek Bharatiya because: Clarified again within the post

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Jack Russell Terrier.

Never a dull moment and very friendly and lovely.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Do you own one of these? How is their behavior? Are they very active and need lot of space?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Negative to Jack Russells. They are very very hyper and bark a lot. Your neighbors will hate you if you get one.

Negative to the Pug. They are very difficult to house train. They also can be hyper, though not quite as bad as a Jack Russell.

Of the dogs you mentioned the Beagle is probably your best choice, though I must say, a cocker spaniel is a very kind-spirited dog as well. Are you sure you want a puppy while your old dog is still there? Introducing a new pet to a very old one is, IMO, not a good idea. It's HIS house, and he knows you are replacing him.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
My advice?

don't get a puppy. Wait till your dog has passed.

Older dogs generally don't like younger dogs around. The hyperactivity makes them nervous.

Not to mention, it usualy upsets the older dog because they feel like they are being replaced. I have seen many older dogs die right after a new puppy.

Your dog is a senior, let them happily live out the rest of their life without your attention being diverted.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

Not sure about the Pug but English Bulldogs (or some of them at least) are notorious for being over-bred (for want of a better term) and suffering from breathing difficulties.
ETA And I concur with both previous posters too. Jack's are known for their territorialness, lots of barking and guarding your property while running manically all over it.

And introducing a younger dog to an older one might send your existing dog the wrong message.
edit on 4/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ek Bharatiya

Do you own one of these? How is their behavior? Are they very active and need lot of space?

Actually that's a good point...

They are ridiculously active and will need several walks and a LOT of attention.

If you're looking for chilled and calm dog.... probably not the dog for you

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I have brought a Spitz puppy and a Pug puppy before at home (my friend left them with me for a day while he was busy) and my dog behaved very well and even played with them. He did not show any aggressiveness towards them. Though I'm planning this after my current dog not now.

Are you talking about English Cocker Spaniel? Oh wow' I just googled them and love them at first sight. Do you own one of these? Can you tell me if they will cope in hot weather and anything about them? I'm worried about the weather as I dont want the dog to suffer when I take him/ her for a walk or outdoor activity otherwise the apartment is fully air conditioned.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I have a beagle and he has possibly the best personality of any dog I've owned (which is many.)

He's my good buddy, is extra patient with my 2 year old (which means he deals with a lot of abuse and never gets aggressive), he's a great listener and a quick learner. He's small and has short hair, so hygiene is easy too. One thing about him, I do need to keep him entertained - he's a hound and he wants to track, so we've devised games where I'll hide treats in tupperware containers and he'll track them down. This keeps him feeling like he's doing something useful and it keeps me from chasing him down the block.

On top of that he's about the cutest thing on 4 legs and I get confirmation of that by passerby's every time we go out for a walk.

This isn't the best pic but it's the only one I've got readily available right now at work.

imgur.com...

As others have said JR's are cute and fiesty, but they can be really aggressive too.

edit on 4-4-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Thank you for the advise. I completely understand and only planning all this after my current dog.

I am planning ahead and will only get a puppy "after" my current dog. This thread is to help me understand better and make a wise decision for later. I will never get a pup as long as my current dog is with me.
edit on 4-4-2012 by Ek Bharatiya because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Thank you for replying. I have read about the breathing problems which also concerned me.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Mixed breed mutts are the best, preferably from a rescue shelter. They are often healthier than pure breds, and I've found they seem to have a unique sense of loyalty to their rescuer (you), as if they know how lucky they are and love you more for it.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I would also wait until the older dog has passed. Let his old age be peaceful
Then the beagle would be a good choice.

The dogs that have skin folds, have to have their folds cleaned often through the day, or they get infections.
Also, the dogs that have protruding eyes and short muzzles, often have issues with the eyes, and breathing.
Anything too big and/or furry, will get too hot in your climate.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Wow! your dog is absolute cutie and it shows he is well kept, healthy and happy. Thank you for adding to this thread. Can I ask you how old is your dog and how does he cope in hot weather?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ek Bharatiya

Wow! your dog is absolute cutie and it shows he is well kept, healthy and happy. Thank you for adding to this thread. Can I ask you how old is your dog and how does he cope in hot weather?

He's about 4 years old now. He's a small breed beagle and he hasn't gotten tubby like others tend to (good food choices and exercise tend to do that..)

I wouldn't let him run hard in really hot weather, but he does just fine in the Utah desert summers where 100f is fairly common. Just make sure on long walks in hot weather you'll be passing a water source or bring some along.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

That's great. I hope I'm not pestering you too much but would like to ask you few more questions.

1. How did you dog cope when you brought a newborn baby to house?
2. Did you have to train him regarding the baby?
3. How long do you take your dog for walk and how many times?
4. Do you just give him dog food or he eats homemade stuff?
5. I read somewhere that Beagles tend to have bark like howl does it anyway affects you in comparison with a bark like a Labrador?

These may sound silly but I'm very excited to know these things and want to make a good decision for everyone involved.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gemdog

I have been to several rescue shelters here but they only have stray dogs which are older. I go there from time to time to donate dog food. Rescue shelters here dont work like they in US. Most of the organisations just relocate the animals after neutering them and very rarely are they pups.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
You're fine, happy to answer what I can.

1. How did you dog cope when you brought a newborn baby to house?

He probably had to adjust a bit, he was kind of the baby then we had a baby.. So for a bit he got a little less attention. I tried my best to let him know he was still my best friend and we got through it just fine. The thing about a dog is all the need from you is some kind words, something good to eat and some exercise and they'll forgive you for just about anything.

2. Did you have to train him regarding the baby?

We didn't really do any intensive training, but the two weren't allowed together alone for a long time. We slowly introduced dog and baby and allowed them more freedom with each meeting. Mileage may vary depending on the personality of the dog, but I was convinced pretty quickly that we wouldn't have a problem. I still keep a careful eye on them though.

We try to go for at least a short walk (30 minutes around the neighborhood) every day, but sometimes settle for a run in the yard. In the summer we usually make a few trips to the local off lease park to get the wiggles out and these trips can last a few hours, but you meet people there and it's really enjoyable. It doesn't feel like a chore. All said and done we go for 4-5 walks a week and they can range from 30 minutes to 3 hours.

I use EVO dog food, but he gets the occasional home made meal too. I steer clear of wet food because it's bad for a dog's teeth and gastrointestinal system. (don't believe me? Give your dog a can of wet food then walk behind him for a couple hours.)
I free feed my dog which means his bowl is always full - and we don't have weight problems. Different people have different approaches to this, but this works great for us. I've always used this method with my pets and never had issues.

5. I read somewhere that Beagles tend to have bark like howl does it anyway affects you in comparison with a bark like a Labrador?

They do have kind of a bray. It's manageable if you have good techniques for training your dog. Benny the Beagle doesn't bark so much anymore, and never did to a point where it annoyed me or the neighbors... The style of bark is a little different and I think that's what people are talking about. In my opinion it's no more disruptive than the bark of any other breed.

Some people might disagree but my method of training is instant positive reinforcement and a squirt bottle for undesirable behavior. A squirt bottle is great for immediately breaking their chain of thought when they get into a bad place, like barking or chasing or whatever else. You can also get them instantly from the other side of the room which is much more effective than reprimanding them a few seconds after the act.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I would also wait until the older dog has passed. Let his old age be peaceful
Then the beagle would be a good choice.

The dogs that have skin folds, have to have their folds cleaned often through the day, or they get infections.
Also, the dogs that have protruding eyes and short muzzles, often have issues with the eyes, and breathing.
Anything too big and/or furry, will get too hot in your climate.

I also read that while reading about English Bulldog. Their skin fold needs to be wiped with moist cloth and about their breathing concern due to breeding. I think they will be more suited to a bit colder climate as they get overheated if taken out in hot sun.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I cant thank you enough for all the valuable information you shared. I want to add emphasis to two points and discuss them with you. I understand you are at work so if you want to reply later it's fine too.

We try to go for at least a short walk (30 minutes around the neighborhood) every day, but sometimes settle for a run in the yard. In the summer we usually make a few trips to the local off lease park to get the wiggles out and these trips can last a few hours, but you meet people there and it's really enjoyable. It doesn't feel like a chore. All said and done we go for 4-5 walks a week and they can range from 30 minutes to 3 hours.

I take my Labrador for 50 minutes to 1 hour walk everyday since the beginning. I take him for walk 3-4 times a day without fail. Do you think if I get a Beagle I should maintain same schedule or change it. I have never had a small dog so I dont want to exhaust him.

I use EVO dog food, but he gets the occasional home made meal too. I steer clear of wet food because it's bad for a dog's teeth and gastrointestinal system. (don't believe me? Give your dog a can of wet food then walk behind him for a couple hours.)
I free feed my dog which means his bowl is always full - and we don't have weight problems. Different people have different approaches to this, but this works great for us. I've always used this method with my pets and never had issues.

I never give my dog canned food, I am not too fond about canned food and want to avoid them. He always eats homemade food twice a day. He is treated with dog biscuits, bones etc. daily. If I get a Beagle should I feed him canned or homemade food? Should I take a different approach in regards with food for Beagle?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join