It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Architects' Answer to Rising Seas: Floating Homes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This is just fantasy, I know. But at some point, I might have nothing better to do than to figure out a way to live on the water, away from all the Zombies.

Might be a little sailboat. One of those old floating building things the Navy used to use for portable buildings.

But at some point, my responsibilities may allow me to live on the water again.

Here is a new article that came on the email today about what the Dutch are up to.

pddnet.com... 3363&et_rid=45586471&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fpddnet.com%2fnews-architects-answer-to-rising-seas-floating-homes-040312%2f

A floating mosque and golf course for the submerging Maldives islands. Amphibious homes in the Netherlands lifted to safety as waters surge beneath them. A hospital perched on 400 stilts to protect patients from Thailand's devastating floods and the encroaching sea.

Around the world, architects and city planners are exploring ways mankind and water may be able to coexist as oceans rise and other phenomenon induced by climate change, including extreme, erratic floods, threaten land-rooted living.

With the Dutch at the helm, projects in the cutting-edge field of aqua-architecture are already in place, including a maritime housing estate, floating prison and greenhouses in the Netherlands. An increasing number are coming on stream, and while earlier blueprints appeared to be the stuff of science fiction, advocates say leaps of imagination are still needed given the magnitude of the danger.

"The focus on floating solutions has grown enormously. It has shifted from freak architecture to more sustainable, flexible alternatives," says Dutch architect Koen Olthuis, citing growing support by governments and interest among private investors in Asia and Russia.

See also previous thread on ATS www.abovetopsecret.com...

pddnet.com... 3363&et_rid=45586471&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fpddnet.com%2fnews-architects-answer-to-rising-seas-floating-homes-040312%2f

edit on 3-4-2012 by kawika because: added link

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

But what happens when there is a cyclone or tsunami?
I think it is just better to relocate to higher ground.
edit on 3-4-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

There is always risk on the water.

One hope to survive by planning and experience.

There is much more open water space than there is high ground...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
reply to post by Jace26

There is always risk on the water.

One hope to survive by planning and experience.

There is much more open water space than there is high ground...

While that may be true, there would be all sorts of environmental problems with building cities on the ocean, such as where would all the rubbish go?
It seems this is just transplanting our current problems from land to water.

I think it would be much smarter to just build in the deserts like Dubai has done, that way we don't have to cut down forests, and we don't have to pollute the ocean.
edit on 3-4-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The desert is the last place I'd want to be in a SHTF scenario. That's a pretty harsh environment to try and survive.

On the ocean isn't too much better, but at least you'd have food and water (yes, I know it's salt water, but it's easy to make a solar still with just a couple of rudimentary materials.)

Personally, I'm staying on dry land, though I'm not opposed to hopping on a boat and heading for an island if the zombies come, hehe...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

South Pacific islands are a great place to be foraging. Lots of wild food.

We have quite a few that are still US property, after the war they put up a no trespassing sign. Islands like Midway and Palmyra.

new topics

top topics

join