It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona bill could criminalize Internet trolling

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
So, if one posted a thread with a title that was controversial and barely believable like say

For the purpose of attracting attention, both positive and negative, One could get in trouble?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I hate living in a police state

when this law goes into effect I'm getting life without parole no doubt about it

I don't threaten or intimidate but I can't stop myself from posting funny things and I can get(Blue)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
So, if one posted a thread with a title that was controversial and barely believable like say

For the purpose of attracting attention, both positive and negative, One could get in trouble?

Yea, that's the idea... all it takes is 1 person to claim they're "offended". And clearly the law is that, offensive.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
What a crock. Next thing you know, they'll try to criminalize threadjacking.

You guys and gals ever get into Plasma Electrolytic Oxidation much?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Lock and load AZ trolls. Lock and load....... The ride is gonna get bumpier before we are done mowing over the morons like speed bumps....

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
For cryin' out loud, are we really so far gone that we actually drum up a law making trolling illegal, as opposed to doing the obvious?

Thicker skin on the Internet = something America should check into obtaining.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I guess it all comes down to your interpretation of trolling really, arguments on ATS and the obvious bovine posts are one thing, it is annoying but can be dealt with

Where trolling loses any sense of being funny though is for example when people troll the facebook page of some child that recently died, we have had cases here in the UK where a teenage girl committed suicide due to bullying at school, tragic event, and a terrible loss for the family. And yet morons think it is fine to go on their facebook page and type hateful things, terrible things just to cause even more distress to the grieving family.

Mental trauma is just as damaging as physical trauma, and in my opinion should be treated as such. If you went outside and saw a grown man for example bulling and terrifying your child what would you do? I know what I would do, I would kick the crap out of them, so why should they be allowed to get away with it on the internet?

Trolling is not about disagreements on the internet, it is about bitter twisted little people are have a miserable life trying to make themselves feel good by bringing pain and misery to others and no they should not be allowed to get away with it.

Having said all that, I find this type of law over the top, and could easily be misused. A way to control what is said and genuine opinions and so I also would be wary.

There is a difference between free speech and hate fuelled rhetoric. For example I might make a comment saying I disagree with the way the UK is becoming to tolerant and pampering to the wishes of an ever encroaching Muslim population, it is far different to saying I f-ing hate all (insert word of choice here), murder the lot of the dirty smelly barstewards.

If you want freedom of speech then you have to be responsible with it, freedom of speech does not entitle anyone to cause hurt and pain to others

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Maricopa County, Arizona as in (blankity bleep censored) Joe Arpaio country?

Hmmm, double hmmmm, Aaaaargh! *choke, cough, sputter, gulp*

Well, I suppose there may be other CT sites from other more reasonable states.

P.S. Do you think the excuse of being a Sovereign Netizen would work?

edit on 4/4/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: ps

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Law making Control Freaks need to bugger off.
Here, there, everywhere.

Define trolling? You could not paint with a broader brush. Anything derogatory can be interpreted by the up-tight little control freak as trolling. Next thing you know, we have more non violent people in jail...great!

ATS could use to relax the strict rules too. Perhaps allow people to toughen up to the reality that is our world.
Over modding really takes the fun out of my speech freedom. I would, for example, like to make personal attacks on stupid people so everyone knows what they say is not true.

IMO, People vary too much to follow one groups set of rules.

This kind of thing is responsible for the ongoing PUSSIFICATION of the USA.
There I said it.
Grow a pair AZ.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by assspeaker

... I would, for example, like to make personal attacks on stupid people so everyone knows what they say is not true.

I would prefer to defend or help educate a less intelligent person.

I don't like trolls; but, as you pointed out ... trolling is too widely open to personal interpretation.

Some people can take any statement and twist it into a personal offense. If I say I had a great X,Y,Z meal at so and so's place; my spouse can twist that into ... "You must really hate my cooking!"

I agree, the net does endow us thin-skins with duck feathers so we learn to let it roll off of our backs instead of getting upset.

Besides, if men have to wear pink undies in Joe's jail ... what colour do women get?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Glad you pointed that out. Not exactly what I wanted to get across.
When I said stupid, I don't mean those that will listen to reason, nor those with no education.
I too would try to help anyone who does not understand.
Perhaps I should have used the term: people who say stupid things.

I make mistakes. I say stupid things. I need to be corrected. Just like this.
I stereotyped stupid. My bad.

See how much trolling could help the world?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Some things on that list aren't even illegal, and surely never will be..

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Nowhere in the Constitution are you guaranteed the right to not be offended or annoyed. Freedom of speech basically guarantees that someone will find offense with another someone's comments. Liberals attempt to control free speech with political correctness.

Who says this is liberals??? Do you forget who has been running Az for some time now?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
One more nail in the coffin as Gestapo Amerika closes in on americans civil liberties and Bill of Rights. I think any jail time for saying offensive things to people is over the top by a huge margin. Nazi America here we come. If you have any hebrew DNA in you, you might want to think about relocating to Israel because this is going to get ugly and soon.

I can see Obama holding the original penned Bill of Rights with a ligher underneath it as the flames of oppression begin to consume the document.

In the words of my favorite Supernatural character Bobby Singer...

"Balls".

top topics

<< 1   >>

join