It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Remember the Alamo" (but forget it was a Masonic treasure hunt in Mexico)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
www.treasurenet.com... and this one seems to site one of the ops net personalities/handles in an article they wrote from 2007 so may also be of interest to this thread long but mildly entertaining read so far either way hope it helps make sense of all of these threads by the op

www.blockscript.com...

www.blockscript.com... and some links on block script as i brought it up in an earlyer post but did not explain what it was so i figured id give these links to explain the program and why i think it was odd i could originaly link and visit that site but after i made my comments i am now blocked by that softwear from viewing their site so interesting indeed
edit on 3-4-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dign4it

200 Freemasons died at the Alamo, James Bonham, James Bowie, David Crockett, Almaron Dickenson, and William Barrett Travis were the most noted.

en.wikipedia.org...

I've never seen any information at all to suggest that any of them were Scottish Rite Masons let alone 33rd degree masons. Actually, I'd say it's highly improbable since the first united council of 33rd degree Masons didn't occur until 1867 and the Alamo occurred in 1836. So while it's not impossible that they were members of some variation of the Scottish Rite which did exist at the time (founded in 1801) in South Carolina, it's improbable the men in the Republic of Texas were.

Not that it would make any difference.. the highest rank a Mason can ever hope to achieve is the 3rd Degree .. a Master Mason. Which all 200 men at the Alamo were (not including many Freemasons in the Mexican army though.)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dign4it

Source: www.freedom.org...

"This is not about land or money... but the one thing that no man should ever be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, and how he'll raise his family."

Col. William Barrett Travis

Travis, himself, speaking through time has even disagreed with your OP. Though I must admit that the first line was included due to his not being aligned with the Matamoros Expedition; but almost presciently this quote works to take you down, OP.

As for masons being involved, yes there were masons, but they clearly were at odds with each other at every point. Nowhere in any transcript I have ever read have I seen mention of masonry influencing their decisions. As a matter of fact it was always quite contentious between all, not brotherly one bit! These Texans came from across the U.S. and from countries around the world, all looking for their version of freedom.

There were also some interesting and nefarious characters who through bits written here and there intrigue us as to their true intentions, usually it comes across as greed. Below the requisite acknowledgement of the Alamo and the true heroes listed you will find just a couple of snippets that might acknowledge a bit of what you suggest in your OP.

STM
edit on 4/3/2012 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Remembering "The Alamo"

Originally named Misióón San Antonio de Valero, the Alamo served as home to missionaries and their Indian converts for nearly seventy years. Construction began on the present site in 1724. In 1793, Spanish officials secularized San Antonio's five missions, and distributed their lands to the remaining Indian residents. These men and women continued to farm the fields, once the mission's, but now their own, and participated in the growing community of San Antonio.

In the early 1800s, the Spanish military stationed a cavalry unit at the former mission. The soldiers referred to the old mission as the Alamo (the Spanish word for "cottonwood") in honor of their hometown Alamo de Parras, Coahuila. The post's commander established the first recorded hospital in Texas in the Long Barrack. The Alamo was home to both Revolutionaries and Royalists during Mexico's ten-year struggle for independence. The military - Spanish, Rebel, and then Mexican - continued to occupy the Alamo until the Texas Revolution.

San Antonio, and the Alamo, played a critical role in the Texas Revolution. In December 1835, Ben Milam led Texan and Tejano volunteers against Mexican troops quartered in the city. After five days of house-to-house fighting, they forced General Maríín Perfecto de Cóós and his soldiers to surrender. The victorious volunteers then occupied the Alamo - already fortified prior to the battle by Cóós' men - and strengthened its defenses.
On February 23, 1836, the arrival of General Antonio Lóópez de Santa Anna's army outside San Antonio nearly caught them by surprise. Undaunted, the Texans and Tejanos prepared to defend the Alamo together. The defenders held out for 13 days against Santa Anna's army. William B. Travis, the commander of the Alamo sent forth couriers carrying pleas for help to communities in Texas.

On the eighth day of the siege, a band of 32 volunteers from Gonzales arrived, bringing the number of defenders to nearly two hundred. Legend holds that with the possibility of additional help fading, Colonel Travis drew a line on the ground and asked any man willing to stay and fight to step over - all except one did. As the defenders saw it, the Alamo was the key to the defense of Texas, and they were ready to give their lives rather than surrender their position to General Santa Anna. Among the Alamo's garrison were Jim Bowie, renowned knife fighter, and David Crockett, famed frontiersman and former Congressman from Tennessee.

The final assault came before daybreak on the morning of March 6, 1836, as columns of Mexican soldiers emerged from the predawn darkness and headed for the Alamo's walls. Cannon and small arms
fire from inside the Alamo beat back several attacks. Regrouping, the Mexicans scaled the walls and rushed into the compound. Once inside, they turned a captured cannon on the Long Barrack and church, blasting open the barricaded doors. The desperate struggle continued until the defenders were overwhelmed. By sunrise, the battle had ended, and Santa Anna entered the Alamo compound to survey the scene of his victory.

While the facts surrounding the siege of the Alamo continue to be debated, there is no doubt about what the battle has come to symbolize. People worldwide continue to remember the Alamo as a heroic struggle against overwhelming odds - a place where men made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. For this reason the Alamo remains hallowed ground and the Shrine of Texas Liberty.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The men who fell at the Alamo
March 6, 1836
Juan Abamillo - San Antonio
R. Allen
Mills DeForrest Andross - Vermont
San Patricio - Texas
Micajah Autry - North Carolina, Tennessee
Juan A. Badillo - San Antonio
Peter James Bailey - Kentucky, Arkansas
Isaac G. Baker - Arkansas, Gonzales, Texas
Willima Charles M. Baker - Missouri, Mississippi
John J. Ballentine - Bastrop, Texas
Richard W. Ballantine - Scotland, Alabama
John J. Baugh - Virginia
Joseph Bayliss - Tennessee
John Blair - Tennessee
Samuel B. Blair - Tennessee
William Blazeby - England, New York
James Butler Bonham - South Carolina, Alabama
Daniel Bourne - England
James Bowie - Tennessee, Louisiana
Jesse B. Bowman - Red River, Texas
George Brown - England
James Brown - Pennsylvania
Robert Brown
James Buchanan - Alabama
Samuel E. Burns - Ireland, Louisiana
George D. Butler - Missouri
Robert Campbell - Tennessee
John Cane - Pennsylvania
Willima R. Carey - Virginia (or Maryland)
Charles Henry Clark - Missouri
M. B. Clark - Nacagdoches, Texas
Daniel William Cloud - Kentucky, Arkansas
Robert E. Cochran - New Jersey
George Washington Cottle - Tennessee (or Missouri)
Henry Courtman - Germany
Lemuel Crawford - South Carolina
David Crockett - Tennessee
Robert Crossman - Massachusetts, Louisiana
David P. Cummings - Pennsylvania
Robert Cunningham - New York, Indiana
Jacob C. Darst - Kentucky, Missouri
Freeman H.K. Day - Gonzales, Texas
Jerry C. Day - Missouri
Squire Daymon - Tennessee
William Dearduff - Tennessee
Stephen Denison - Ireland, Kentucky
Charles Despallier - Louisiana
Almeron Dickinson - Pennsylvania, Tennessee
John H. Dillard - Tennessee
James R. Dimpkins - England
Lewis Duel - New York
Andrew Duvalt - Ireland
Carlos Espalier - San Antonio, Texas
Gregorio Esparza - San Antonio, Texas
Robert Evans - Ireland, New York
Samuel B. Evans - Kentucky
James L. Ewing - Tennessee
William Fishbaugh - Gonzales, Texas
John Flanders - Massachusetts
Dolphin Ward Floyd - North Carolina
John Hubbard Forsyth - New York
Antonio Fuentes - San Antonio, Texas
Galba Fuqua - Gonzales, Texas
William H. Furtleroy - Kentucky, Arkansas
William Garnett - Virginia
James W. Garrand - Louisiana
James Girard Garrett - Tennessee
John E. Garvin - Gonzales, Texas
John E. Gaston - Kentucky
James George - Gonzales, Texas
John Camp Goodrich - Tennessee
Albert Calvin Grimes - Georgia
James C. Gwynne - England, Mississippi
James Hannum - Refugio, Texas
John Harris - Kentucky
Andrew Jackson Harrison
William B. Harrison - Ohio
Joesph M. Hawkins - Ireland, Louisiana
John M. Hays - Tennessee
Charles M. Heiskell - Tennessee
Thomas Hendricks
Patrick Henry Herndon - Virginia
William D. Hersee - New York
Tapley Holland - Grimes County, Texas
Samuel Holloway - Pennsylvania
William D. Howell - Massachusetts
William Daniel Jackson - Ireland, Kentucky
Thomas Jackson - Kentucky
Green B. Jameson - Kentucky
Gordon C. Jennings - Missouri
Lewis Johnson - Wales
William Johnson - Pennsylvania
John Jones - New York
Johnnie Kellog - Gonzales, Texas
James Kenny - Virginia
Andrew Kent - Kentucky
Joseph Kerr - Louisiana
George C. Kimball - New York
William P. King - Gonzales, Texas
William Irvine Lewis - Pennsylvania
William J. Lightfoot - Virginia
Jonathan L. Lindley - Illinois
William Linn - Massachusetts
Joséé Toribio Losoya
George Washinton Main - Virginia
William T. Malone - Georgia
William Marshall - Tennessee, Arkansas
Albert Martin - Tennessee
Edward McCafferty - San Patricio, Texas
Jesse McCoy - Gonzales, Texas
William McDowell - Pennsylvania
James McGee - Ireland
John McGregor - Scotland
Robert McKinney - Ireland
Eliel Melton - South Carolina
Thomas R. Miller - Virginia
William Mills - Tennessee, Arkansas
Isaac Millsaps - Mississippi
Edward F. Mitchusson - Kentucky
Edwin T. Mitchell - Georgia
Napoleon B. Mitchell
Robert B. Moore - Virginia
Willis Moore - Mississippi, Arkansas
Robert Musselman - Ohio
Andres Nava - San Antonia, Texas
George Neggan - South Carolina
Andrew M. Nelson - Tennessee
Edward Nelson - South Carolina
George Nelson - South Carolina
James Northcross - Virginia
James Nowlin - Ireland
George Pagan - Mississippi
Christopher Parker - Mississippi
William Parks - San Patricio, Texas
Richardson Perry
Amos Pollard - Massachusetss, New York
John Purdy Reynolds - Pennsylvania
Thomas H. Roberts
James Robertson - Tennessee
Isaac Robinson - Tennessee
James M. Rose - Virginia, Tennessee (nephew of President Madison)
Jackson J. Rusk - Ireland
Joesph Rutherford - Kentucky
Isaac Ryan - Louisiana
Mial Scurlock - Louisiana
Marcus L. Sewell - England
Manson Shied - Georgia
Cleland Kinlock Simmons - South Carolina
Amdrew H. Smith - Tennessee
Charles S. Smith - Maryland
Joshua G. Smith - North Carolina, Tennessee
William H. Smith - Nacogdoches, Texas
Richard Starr - England
James E. Stewart - England
Richard L. Stockton - Virginia

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
A. Spain Summerlin - Tennessee, Arkansas
William E. Summers - Tennessee
William D. Sutherland - Alabama
Edward Taylor - Liberty, Texas
George Taylor - Liberty, Texas
James Taylor - Liberty, Texas
William Taylor - Tennessee
B. Archer M. Thomas - Kentucky
Henry Thomas - Germany
Jesse G. Thompson - Arkansas
John W. Thomson - North Carolina, Tennessee
John M. Thurston - Pennsylvania, Kentucky
Burke Trammel - Ireland, Tennessee
William Barret Travis - South Carolina, Alabama
George W. Tumlinson - Missouri
Asa Walker - Tennessee
Jacob Walker - Nacogdoches, Texas
William B. Ward - Ireland
Henry Warnell - Arkansas
Joseph G. Washington - Tennessee
Thomas Waters - England
William Wells - Georgia
Isaac White - Kentucky
Robert White - Gonzales, Texas
Hiram J. Wlliamson - Pennsylvania
David L. Wilson - Scotland
John Wilson - Pennsylvania
Antony Wolfe - England
Claiborne Wright - North Carolina
Charles Zanco – Denmark

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
dude, whats next oak island ?

edit on 3-4-2012 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
dude, whats next oak island ?

edit on 3-4-2012 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

Nawww... First he'd have to define for us that George Washington stored his treasure horde(s) inside Martha's Vineyard...lol

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
found another link aobut op but i dont think i can post it as they posted their cell phone number in the thread and im pretty sure thats against the T and C but basicly it seems to be their goal in life to spread knowlege on treasure or treasure maps and from what ive seen everything in their life (on the internet at least) relates in some form to treasure or treasure hunting or treasure rooms (and selling a boat) so its either one hell of a hobby or one hell of a delusion .....

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Source: www.texasmonthly.com...
by Skip Hollandsworth
June 2009

X Marks the Spot

Texas is full of buried booty—or, to be a bit more accurate, full of stories about buried booty that no one has been able to find. Here are six of the supposedly greatest Texas treasures still out there. May the hunters strike gold.

Excerpts:

4. The Lost Padre Mine Somewhere in the Franklin Mountains overlooking the Rio Grande River in El Paso County is the Lost Padre Mine. Back in the 1580’s, Spanish conquistadors and priests often passed beneath the peaks of the Franklins on their way to New Mexico to colonize the Indian villages. According to one legend, a group of priests put about three hundred burro loads of silver in a mine on one of their expeditions to New Mexico. They then filled in the shaft. Another legend has it that in 1595, Juan de Oñate hid five silver bars, 4,336 gold ingots, nine burro loads of jewels, and four priceless Aztec codices (books or manuscripts) in the mine. My favorite part of the legend is that the Guadalupe Mission in El Paso was built in way so that the shadows of the mission point to the Lost Padre Mine.

6. The Lost San Saba Silver Mine This lost mine, with its rich vein of silver, has been what one treasure hunter writer has called “the Holy Grail of Texas treasure seekers.” In 1756 a Mexican official traveling through Texas learned from Indians of an exposed strain of pure silver that ran through a certain hill in Central Texas. In the early 1800’s, Stephen F. Austin, on his first trip to Texas, also heard about a rich silver mine on the San Saba River and a gold mine on the Llano. He sent soldiers to look for it, but they found nothing.

By 1829, the mythical “lost” silver mine of San Saba began appearing on Austin’s maps of Texas. More maps appeared showing various locations of a lost silver mine. Just about every book written about Texas in that era mentioned it. James Bowie went on an expedition to find it.

So where is it? An historian named Herbert Bolton, using the original journals of the Mexicans from the eighteenth century, found what is now known as the Boyd shaft on Honey Creek. In 1909 members of the United States Geological Survey visited the site, which they described as being unproductive. But to this day, treasure hunters are unswayed. They know it’s there. They know it.
And the search goes on.

Source: archive.org...

While the troops were before Bexar, a Dr. Grant arrived, and
joined the Army. He had been concerned with an English Mining
Company, at Parras, but he had fallen under the displeasure of
the Mexican Government, and was obliged to fly. He was a
Scotchman by birth, but did not seem to possess much of the
methodical shrewdness which characterizes that nation. He
was a man of much more than ordinary capacity, but, in all
military affairs, seemed to be destitute of judgment and discretion.

Dr. Grant is interesting to me due to his later influence, you might want to read the source and do some research as to his true origins and intentions. Maybe look up the mining co. he represented?

STM

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
200 Freemasons died at the Alamo, James Bonham, James Bowie, David Crockett, Almaron Dickenson, and William Barrett Travis were the most noted.
200 died, six were Masons…

Among the nearly 200 defenders who died at the Alamo were Freemasons James Bonham, James Bowie, David Crockett, Almaron Dickenson, and William Barrett Travis.

More interesting, in my opinion, is that there were 150 Masons among the 850 soldiers at the Battle of San Jacinto…

source

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Dign4it's OPs are always a fun read but his lack of participation and failures to provide evidences makes them really pointless. All this energy should be better spent writing a fiction novel.

IMHO the speculations of those fascinated with the mason subject that every notable character in the Americain history being masons get really old over time. I'm not saying none of them weren't, I'm saying that throwing these assumptions around are as wacky to me as people claiming important figures are....Iluminati or worse....Lizard people

We have a lot of Masons here on ATS that can disprove a lot of misconceptions about the subject. I tend to take their words over it

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
So how many masons were in the Spanish Army? Masonry was very big in Mexico as well especially among many in the military....if this was some secret masonic errand....why were Masons killing Masons????? It seems to me in this discussion we're forgeting there are TWO different armies, both of which had masonic members.

Santa Anna was a mason, which is why Sam Houston spared his life.....forget the nunnery, "get thee to a Library!!! " BOOKS!!! they're good for you. I'll bet money there were as many masons in Santa Anna's forces if not more then in the forces at the Alamo and later with Houston.

Course if you prefer wild speculation and conspiracy based on fancy and rumor rather then fact....stay away from Library's and other worrisome harbors of truth as I feel certain the original poster has.
edit on 4/4/2012 by ForkandSpoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I see two problems with this story.

1) 33rd degree freemasons fighting as soldiers on a battlefield.

and as if that wasn't enough we have to think about:

2) 33rd degree freemasons fighting each other

So I think this whole story is a crock of crapola.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
Well, among the OP's many delusions (along with his false belief that 33° Scottish Rite Freemasons and Illuminati are synonymous) is the idea the any of the Masons at the Alamo were 33° to begin with. The Scottish Rite was still pretty new, and hadn't really spread very far into the territories.

The following men at the Alamo were Master Masons (3rd degree):
  • James Bonham
  • James Bowie
  • David Crockett
  • Almaron Dickenson
  • William Barrett Travis

• Brilliant extra info thanks. I like the pic also. Very interesting (to me anyway) that there is a plaque to the Masons involved from a Masonic Lodge at the site. To me, that says there really isn't anything in the premise of this thread to be honest.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:12 AM
    link   
    NOW FOR YEARS ive read the history of the Alamo battle,I still dont accept the fact that somebody with a kniffe and a few soldiers went into battle and won fair and straigth against thousands of mexican militia!!...NOW THAT IS PRETTY FAR FECHTED TO ME.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:25 AM
    link   

Originally posted by rocha123
    NOW FOR YEARS ive read the history of the Alamo battle,I still dont accept the fact that somebody with a kniffe and a few soldiers went into battle and won fair and straigth against thousands of mexican militia!!...NOW THAT IS PRETTY FAR FECHTED TO ME.
    Then you should re-read your history, because they LOST and were killed by the "thousands of mexican militia".

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:26 AM
    link   
    Ray Charles was probably a Mason...what do you think was the hidden meaning in ''Gold Digger''

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:27 PM
    link   
    OP lost me at "treasure codes."

The reason you hide treasure is to ....um.....hide it.

If there was a "language of symbols" indicating where bags of money was hidden, it would be lost in a week. Why encode your secret in church architecture? Why tell it at all? That right there makes absolutely no sense.

Dude is daydreaming of a "Da Vinci Code" involving a thrilling plot with the Protestant version of Opus Dei.

Where's the hot chick to pull this whole thing together as in "National Treasure"?

There was treasure at the Alamo alright, but it wasn't buried there.

It has never been buried---because courage lives on.

Sadly though, we live in an age when people cannot believe that there are some ideas worth fighting for, that there are some ideals worth dying for. There were actually FOUR states rebelling against Santa Anna's nascent Mexican Empire. And while the previous regime had welcomed American immigrants, Santa Anna wanted them gone, and denied Texas (even the Spanish speaking, Mestizo colonists) rights that were granted in the rest of Mexico. In other words, Santa Anna started treating 4 states like colonies or dominions, instead of constituents of the Mexican Republic.

There is good evidence that at least some of the Texians would have preferred to remain Mexican subjects. More tellingly, once Texas achieved independence, there was a large minority who did not want to join the United States, and spoke against the Act of Union when it was voted on. Sam Houston only belatedly joined the American bandwagon.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:30 PM
    link   
    reply to post by tovenar

More tellingly, once Texas achieved independence, there was a large minority who did not want to join the United States, and spoke against the Act of Union when it was voted on. Sam Houston only belatedly joined the American bandwagon.

There still are!
    That sentiment hasn't gone anywhere. Neither has the sentiment in the South. The Union is more over-bearing than ever before, and the sentiment is as strong as it ever was.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join