It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone have an actual globe model of the Earth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
If we entertain the idea of tunneling for a moment, where would the tunneling start and end if the tunnel was underneath Wisconsin?

If you take a globe and you connect two points with a string you will notice when you pull the string tight the "bee's line" isn't the shortest path. The shortest path curves with the Earth. The shortest path would be tunneling the "bee's line" but for long distances I really don't see how this would be possible due to heat of the earth's core. For example, think 3 dimensionally and go the "bee's line from New York to Bejing", I'm pretty sure no human could withstand the temperatures at the core of the earth let alone infrastructure.

If there is tunneling it must be only a few hundred feet from the surface so the "string on a globe" example should be accurate.

If anyone has an actual globe can you take a string from washington DC, make it taught so it goes thru wisconsin and tell me where it ends up loosely in California, Nevada or any other place of interest?

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

What are you talking about?
The earth is flat.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Nothing would be tunneling through the molten core im sure........

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

I figured I'd have to go to all the good will's tomorrow and find a globe. I thought I'd save myself a few bucks by asking here.

Thanks for the response tho.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Which is why the string on the globe would give some kind of indication of where they would be tunneling to/from.

For the record, I don't buy the tunneling theory. It would be interesting if it coincided with known strategic points in the US tho.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux

I figured I'd have to go to all the good will's tomorrow and find a globe. I thought I'd save myself a few bucks by asking here.

I have one in the shed somewhere but cant you just use a map?

Or print a map of the US and glue it onto a round ball or something?
edit on 31-3-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Yeah, and make it all globe like...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies

A 2d map won't work. I don't think you understand the concept.

Read this

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Here ya go

I understand what you're saying. Unless the distance is more than a quarter of the distance around the Earth, the shortest route on a map and a globe will be the same.
edit on 31-3-2012 by N3k9Ni because: eta

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

First tunneling deep enough for say a evacuated (no air) tube that can handle a very high speed MAGLEV has been looked at, and won't have to go so deep to worry about the Earths core, or mantel. A MAGLEV could reach supersonic speeds no sweat. Rumor has it some might actually exist in parts of the US, Russia, and China. But I can't confirm that. By the way, Wisconsin has a granite rock base and dolomite, the hardest rock. Great for a super-stable and very hardened tunnel. Its not homogeneous of course broken up into plates (not to be confused with tectonic plates, thats A LOT deeper)

The biggest problem with tunneling is doing so threw different types of material and areas with high water tables, that includes the great lakes region and areas above the ogalvie (I misspelled that I know) aquifer that sits under a large portion of the country.

By the way one reason that Obama ordered a re-route of the pipeline from Canada to Oklahoma (which I support by the way) is that tar sands in a slurry have shown to burst through pipelines 100x to 1 as opposed to a "regular" oil pipeline. Tar sand slurry is incredibly abrasive, so we DO need to get it right. A spill using standard pipelines is going to happen, a lot. That aquifer is the largest known in the world and one easy for us to tap, not to deep.

Thought I'd mention that because I don't know, I like to see myself in print? Its true anyway, and we should deal with it appropriately in time. Assuming the GOP doesn't win the Presidency. If they do, stock bottled water...
edit on 31/3/12 by arbiture because: spelling correction, where possible...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies

A 2d map won't work. I don't think you understand the concept.

Read this

I did it and it ends up near Portland

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think your responses are funny Boncho but if you can refrain from derailing the thread for a little bit so I can maybe get a real person with a globe I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Hmm. Portland, Oregon seems like a terrible place to have a tunnel to. You know with all the past volcanic activity in the area.

Thanks for the update IgnorantSpecies.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
If you draw a straight line from DC to Wisconsin and continue going straight it would take you into Canada.

You don't need a Globe to see that.

Why would the train go to Wisconsin anyway? They run out of cheese?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

By the way a globe is distorted and not to scale. I have a nice one that shows certain geological features like fault lines, ground water tables, and assorted other stuff. Its REALLY not to scale and I can only pull it up by localizing an area I'm wanting to look at and viewing it through an advanced CGI 3D VR viewer. I use one for demonstrations, research and analysis at my firm. Love the oohs and aahhs...

Expensive (but very useful) toys for boys...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Maybe this is an American thing, but can someone explain to a Limey like me what exactly this thread relates to? All I get is "digging tunnels under Wisconsin" and MAGLEV - I don't know whether there's a new engineering project in the US being talked about, or the Chinese teamed up with the Mole People to invade, or what...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
There are other reasons to tunnel and they don't require a straight line

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
www.antipodemap.com...

I thought this is what you wanted, and it shows Wisconsin's opposite on the Earth is actually more akin to Ocean than Earth.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
poke a large needle through a globe

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Kolya

Maybe this is an American thing, but can someone explain to a Limey like me what exactly this thread relates to? All I get is "digging tunnels under Wisconsin" and MAGLEV - I don't know whether there's a new engineering project in the US being talked about, or the Chinese teamed up with the Mole People to invade, or what...

Well I think it has to do with reports of loud noise and vibrations occurring underground in Wisconsin.

Also the speculation that there is a secret project to build a high speed underground rail system.

Mysterious Sounds and Louder Booms return to Clintonville Wisconsin (Mar 27, 2012)

Americas 14,000mph secret transit system

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join