It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student Engagement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This is a write up I did concerning the benefits of student engagement. Specifically, how it relates to social and emotional intelligence.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

When people think of a school setting they more often than not focus on the learning aspect of it. While part of a schools job is to focus on preparing students intellectually for adulthood, another overlooked facet of what they do is prepare students socially and emotionally for adulthood.

Doing this in a school setting is also doing this in a structured setting. Engaging students emotionally in their classwork, helping them understand that they WANT to learn, is going to prepare them for when they get out of school to want to keep learning in the career field of their choice. Their career is going to be a structured setting as well in its own right.. The school is preparing them for their journey into constantly wanting to better their lives on an intellectual level which in turn will help them make a better living.

This will help them on an emotional level as well as confidence is built through the success their intellect has afforded them. Having this as a steady process is going to ingrain in them the importance of building relationships with fellow students as well as teachers. This will carry over into the work field as having good relationships with co-workers and bosses. Being socially balanced in this way paves the way for having good emotional and professional relationships. It all starts in the school setting at an early age and should progress gradually through the years until graduation when they are fully prepared to face adulthood.

Source: heblab.research.yale.edu...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I know that the majority of the public schools here in the U.S. don't really focus on this aspect of education, as in they don't take this facet of learning and incorporate it into their curriculum, but this really is an additional benefit of being schooled in a structured environment. I guess if there are questions to be asked in all this for the sake of discussion, they would be:

Which do you think is more important? Social ( Business) intelligence or emotional ( personal) intelligence?

Can you excel at one without being adept at the other?

Have you known someone who has excelled in business yet didn't excel on a personal level?

Have you known someone who has excelled in their personal understandings of people yet is not a professional success?

I'll leave you all to chat about this, have to get to bed. ly

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

I know that the majority of the public schools here in the U.S. don't really focus on this aspect of education, as in they don't take this facet of learning and incorporate it into their curriculum,

Actually, many states do have a social component in their curriculums. The problem is that there simply isn't time to teach social skills adequately. Why? Standardized testing.

Which do you think is more important? Social ( Business) intelligence or emotional ( personal) intelligence?

Both are important. Depends on your personal life goals.

Can you excel at one without being adept at the other?

Absolutely. I've known folks with great business sense who lack social skills, and vice versa. Just like some people are great with math, others with languages, still others with physical endeavors.

[Have you known someone who has excelled in business yet didn't excel on a personal level?

Yes. The person I'm thinking of you might consider a "lone wolf" type.

Have you known someone who has excelled in their personal understandings of people yet is not a professional success?

Again, yes. But I don't think its just that they aren't good at professionalism so much as they lacked true interest in their career choice.

You might be interested in the work of Dr. Becky Bailey. She is the founder of Conscious Discipline, a program designed for schools and individuals. Basically, CD helps people become aware (conscious) of their thinking and emotional processes, and learn how to respond appropriately. I've used this in my classroom and at home for the last three years, and its an amazing program. It's also helped me tremendously in my own life. You can find out more by visiting her website www.lovingguidance.com

S&F

edit on 30-3-2012 by smyleegrl because: how the heck did the angry smiley face show up on my post?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
What an excellent thread.

Yeah, some schooling on emotional intelligence would have been great when I was knee-high to a cricket. This prompted me to do a casual sample of current Early Child Education curricula at a few middle-of-the-road colleges. I found it encouraging to see that child guidance is heavily emphasized. I also noticed a trend toward addressing the effects of social media and pop culture on young students.

It becomes a balancing act, I would imagine, for how much slack the teachers take up on the E.Q. front when the child has a difficult homelife.

new topics

join