It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for the Army guys...APNewsBreak: New security for US troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
My question, for the Army types out there is why is this a new policy?

In the Navy, even in bootcamp we stand watch. A few of us are assigned to stay awake. In a barracks building there will be two guys at the main door, and roving watches walking each floor and checking in with the watch at the podium on the quarter deck (main door).

A watch is 4 hours. midnight to four, four to eight, eight to noon, and on and on. In fact, the bells you here on a ship, to "tell the time". They add one ding every half hour until they get to eight dings (four hours) and then they start over. So the dings do not tell the time as much as they tell you how much longer you have to stay awake on watch until you are properly relieved.

And heaven help you if you forget to ring the bell at the right time. Sometimes OOD will go up and tell the watch not to ring and then when they notice they call away a security violation drill and get out the guns and the reaction force has to swarm the quarter deck and see what is wrong...

And after bootcamp, in the real world, we stand watches. A few of us stay up, with guns, or sail the ship while most sleep. In theory we take turns but in practice we all complain that we always get the midwatch and so and so always skates out of it.

Why is this a normal thing for the Navy, and the Army just started doing it?

Source story link

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. military commanders in Afghanistan have assigned "guardian angels" — troops that watch over their comrades even as they sleep — and have ordered a series of other increased security measures to protect troops against possible attacks by rogue Afghans.

edit on 30-3-2012 by kawika because: add text

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
God, they are so stupid. "Angels", LUL, FRIENDLY FIRE!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
My question, for the Army types out there is why is this a new policy?

In the Navy, even in bootcamp we stand watch. A few of us are assigned to stay awake. In a barracks building there will be two guys at the main door, and roving watches walking each floor and checking in with the watch at the podium on the quarter deck (main door).

And after bootcamp, in the real world, we stand watches. A few of us stay up, with guns, or sail the ship while most sleep. In theory we take turns but in practice we all complain that we always get the midwatch and so and so always skates out of it.

Why is this a normal thing for the Navy, and the Army just started doing it?

Source story link

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. military commanders in Afghanistan have assigned "guardian angels" — troops that watch over their comrades even as they sleep — and have ordered a series of other increased security measures to protect troops against possible attacks by rogue Afghans.

That what i was thinking while reading it also. your in a place that is a warzone your on a side and you have your back to the door? theyh only now thought of this? crazy crazy crazy

S&F
edit on 30-3-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
These are a hoot...

edit on 30-3-2012 by kawika because: added link

edit on 30-3-2012 by kawika because: add video

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
What they mean is that they are adding extra overwatch posistions probably in places that ussually didn't have them. In other words added security measures. It's just a public way of saying they are being more watchfull.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Wow they re-emplemented guard duty.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
In other words added security measures. It's just a public way of saying they are being more watchfull.

There is a reason they are doing this. There are always reasons and we are in the heated moments of humanity's chess game (or the calm before take your pick).

Everyone has their choice.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
Wow they re-emplemented guard duty.

Ding.

& of course the higher up's have some inkling as to why they are doing this. With all the nuclear lingo being spread through the world... & countless prophecy speaking about nuclear usage in our generation.

Better refine that memory of yours, along with your diet. The human mind can see through the veils of illusion.
Stay sharp.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The guardian angels will be because some Afgans who the US have trained are fed up with thier country being occupied. This should be drummed into the heads of the bankers. Afganistan has never really been conquered and have been at war for decades. Even the russians gave up.

You cant take over a persons country long term unless you kill everyone in that country or at least tha majority of them. And if the bankers want thier empire then this is what thry "must" do if they want to succeed. If they dont then they know they will never succeed.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Seriously... YOU are on watch??????

You are kidding right???

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Is this the same thing as guard duty? if so, I had thought that that had been around for ages...
my friends always complain about it xD. and if you fall asleep during it... you're in BIIIGGGGG trouble buddy.

and as for the "guardian angels" thing, It probably has to do with how we've been royally peeving them off, burning the Quaran, the killings that just happened, etc. they're not going to stand for it much longer...
edit on 30-3-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

kinda off topic here, but I had a friend that I met in college, he took a speech class. and for one of his speeches he read passages from the Quaran in Arabic (if that is the correct language, please forgive and correct me if I'm wrong) and it was a stunningly beautiful language, he read it with such serenity and flow.
I'm not much of a religious person, but he was very respectful and insightful in the way that he explained it to me. it was truly beautiful.

I wish that those who hate them could put all of the hatred aside and realize that not ALL of them are terrorists :/ many of the people of the middle-east come from the Persian Empire, which has such a love and adulation for life itself.

/sorry for that veering off topic xD

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Seriously... YOU are on watch??????

You are kidding right???

I stood the watch, until I retired.

Not getting your point... Sending u2u

top topics

join