It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ketamine & Near Death Experiences

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
First and foremost, I would like to state that I am in no way, shape or form promoting Ketamine (Special K) for recreational use. I stumbled across this information and found it quite interesting as it is the first that I am hearing about the connection.

The Ketamine Model of the Near Death Experience: A Central Role for the NMDA Receptor
By Dr. Karl L. R. Jansen, MD, PhD, MRCPsych.

Abstract
Near-death experiences (NDE's) can be reproduced by ketamine via blockade of receptors in the brain (the N-methyl-D-aspartate, NMDA receptors) for the neurotransmitter glutamate. Conditions which precipitate NDE's (hypoxia, ischaemia, hypoglycaemia, temporal lobe epilepsy etc.) have been shown to release a flood of glutamate, overactivating NMDA receptors resulting in neuro ('excito') toxicity. Ketamine prevents this neurotoxicity. There are substances in the brain which bind to the same receptor site as ketamine. Conditions which trigger a glutamate flood may also trigger a flood of neuroprotective agents which bind to NMDA receptors to protect cells, leading to an altered state of consciousness like that produced by ketamine. This article extends and updates the theory proposed in 1990 (Jansen, 1990b).

More: www.mindspring.com...

And more here: www.mindspring.com...

Has anyone experienced this through K or have any other information on it?

[edit on 23-9-2004 by Jonna]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Ok kiddies, remember if someone ask you if you want to try some kitty tranqualizers say "NO" because it is actually (Special K) or aka ketamine.

I have also found out that this is a widely used drug amongst teens in rural areas then in suburban areas. Be careful, don't do it and Just say "NO".

Good read, Jonna

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
K is a dissociative, it seperates your mind from your body (and is used as a pain releaver for this reason).

The right ammount will send you into a "k hole" its allmost if you pass out and wonder about inside your own thoughts, a few people i know have talked about OBE's on ket, but i have never experienced one.

Yes, drugs can be very bad if you are not prepared or knowledgeable in what you are about to take, but i have had some amazing experiences on natural ones (such as '___') when in the right environment.

Here is some more info:

www.erowid.org...
www.erowid.org...

(on the subject of OBE's and NDE)
'___' is similar in the way Ketamine works, but it is found inside the Australian Wattle tree....and not made syntheticly, it is known as one of the most powerfull hallucigenics in the world and your average '___' experience would invole;

Everything fading to black
Being shot at the speed of light away from the earth
Meeting other beings (people describe them as "elves" because they are small and playfull) and communicating with them on different levels.

It is a very hardcore experience. I find this subject really interesting.

Here are some reports of what people have experienced on '___':

www.erowid.org...'___'.shtml

[edit on 23-9-2004 by electric squid carpet]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Please keep the discussion objective and on topic. The discussion of drug use violates the board T&C.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
16.) Discussion of illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia, hacking, etc. are strictly forbidden.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Most drugs arn't too bad for ya, sure theres some drugs that are bad for you, but most of them like opiates, cannbis, etc... are ok for you.

The only halucinigens I have tried are Magic Mushrooms and Cannabis, and those were fun, except when you get a bad trip on mushrooms, they are the biggest nightmares of your life come to reality... that would probally be why I've stopped using mushrooms.

Pain killers are cool, well most of the ones I know of are, they dull pain and come with a really pleasant feeling, euphoria.

I am also very knowledgeable on drugs, I know pretty much everything to be known, well, as far as I can research which is quite far.

Special K or Ketemine, are said to sperate the mind from the body, dulling pain and causing halucinogenic effects... All drugs effects vary from person to person, so quite a few may see what may be deemed as "near death exprience" or maybe he/she overdosed and actually did have a "near death expirience" who knows.

new topics

top topics

join