It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well, we see how they have downgraded earthquakes, so now we're seeing them do this with hurricanes, too.

Here's the new wind speeds and their category:
www.orlandosentinel.com...

Category 3 will be 111-129 mph; it used to be 111-130.
Category 4 will be 130-156 mph; it used to be 131 to 155.
Category 5 will be 157 mph and higher. It used to be 156 and higher.
Category 1 and 2 systems will remain unchanged.

The new numbers will be used as of May 15.

"The change is a minor math thing between the knots and mph," said Dennis Feltgen, hurricane center spokesman. "It has no other impact on the scale."

Maybe it's a misprint, but how much would you bet that if there is a hurricane with 130mph winds that they'll say it's a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 4? I think it's a misprint though. At least I hope so.

These changes are just a "minor math problem"? So, making a storm with 156 mph a Cat 4 instead of a Cat 5 is supposed to make me feel safer? I just don't get their reasoning for changing this scale.

Also, I find it interesting that the new categories won't be used until May 15th. Hurricane season starts June 1st.
Are they anticipating the season getting started early? It did last year.

Hurricane season has never bothered me, but for some reason, I'm feeling nervous about this year's storms. The Atlantic waters have stayed warm throughout the winter months and the land temps have been five to seven degrees above average here (Florida).

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
yeah with the initial forcast release I think we are going to get burned they are actually predicting a weak hurricane season because of the possibility of an El Nino. I think alot of people are going to relax too much, like you said warm waters off the coast and higher than average temps this winter I am watching the weather like a hawk this year.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by N3kr0m4nc3r

I'm not surprised that they would be predicting a weak hurricane season since they always report that it's going to be a worse season. They really took some flack last year for their forecast. I have never underdstood why they insist on trying to predict hurricane season anyways. It doesn't seem to do any good and they're always wrong.

I moved into my house in August of 04 when Charlie came through. It was terrible the way the other three came in one after the other. It was impossible to move my furniture, so for almost 8 weeks, I slept on an air mattress and kept my clothes in my suitcase. The only good thing about it was that I was able to paint everything without having the furniture get in the way.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
130mph - which was category 3, will be category 4. you know what it means? that your post is pure fear mongering. what? you hope it's a misprint? so that they won't rise 130mph to category 4, because that will make your theory null and void?

do i think something's coming? yes.
do i think hurricanes are one of those things? a tip of an iceberg, imho.
do i think this new wind scale matters at all? hurricane is a hurricane, nothing will change that.
edit on 26-3-2012 by jedi_hamster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jedi_hamster

You could have kindly pointed out to me that I had read it wrong. You can easily see that I had bolded the numbers incorrectly. I thought it said that 130 was included in the Cat 3 and Cat 4 winds.

So, you think reporting a scale change is fearmongering? Did anyone force you to click this thread? Do you live in an area that gets hurricanes? So, admitting that this coming storm season has me nervous is unacceptable to you? Why are you so rude?

Please understand me loud and clear.
I'm not trying to create fear. I'm posting knowledge. The scale has been altered because of a math problem (so they say). Because I find it significant that they are using this new scale two and a half weeks before the actual start of hurricane season raises a red flag for me. I'm not saying you have to agree with me, but consider yourself warned. Please conduct yourself accordingly and prepare however you see fit, or don't.

Forewarned is forearmed.

edit on 26-3-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Maybe it's a misprint, but how much would you bet that if there is a hurricane with 130mph winds that they'll say it's a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 4?

I won't bet anything because who gives a damn? You don't think "they" could have done the same thing with the earlier scale?

Do you know what the difference between mph and knots is?

Do you really think a 1mph difference in classification levels will have any affect on anything? If a hurricane has 130mph winds it has 130mph winds. Who cares if its called a Cat3 or a Cat4?

BTW, earthquakes were not "downgraded". With the MMS scale some earthquakes show a higher magnitude than with the Richter scale and some show lower.

edit on 3/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hello, Phage. Thanks for stopping by.

I've always heard of hurricane strength referred to in miles per hour and the speed they are moving from east to west. Living in a hurricane prone area, I'd much rather have a fast moving system than one that's going to lolligag and stall over land.

I have no idea why they have chosen to change the scale. Can you think of any?

Edit to Add: The scale seems to have a psychological effect on some people. I know several people who aren't concerned with a Cat 2, but will go get some water and other necessities as soon as it's upgraded to a Cat 3. It doesn't matter to me what they say it is. I stock up before hurricane season and don't touch that stock until November 30th has passed.
edit on 26-3-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

The scale has nothing to do with how fast a storm is moving. It's a measure of the speed of the wind within the storm.

Normally, the National Hurricane Center computes storm strength in knots, widely used by boaters and pilots but not the general public.

To more accurately convert knots to miles per hour:
www.orlandosentinel.com...

Hurricane - Category 3: Winds of 96 to 113 knots. Storm surge 9 to 12 feet above normal.

www.jfsc.ndu.edu...
1.0 knot = 1.151mph
113 kts = 130.06 mph

Here's more detail...from the source:

The National Hurricane Center (NHC) and Central Pacific Hurricane (CPHC) assign intensities of hurricanes in 5-knot (kt) increments. For advisory products, these intensities are converted to miles per hour (mph) and kilometers per hour (km/h), and then rounded to the nearest 5-mph or 5-km/h increments. Challenges occur when the current Category 4 intensity is 115 kt (132.3 mph). Although 115 kt is within the Category 4 range, the equivalent rounded wind speed in mph is 130 mph, which is in the Category 3 range. To classify the hurricane as a Category 4 in both sets of units (kt and mph), NHC and CPHC must incorrectly convert 115 kt to 135 mph in the advisory products. A similar issue occurs when the current Category 4 intensity of 135 kt is converted to km/h.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

edit on 3/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, I'm well aware that the scale is measured in miles per hour. I was addressing your question to me about mph compared to knots.

You didn't answer my question about why you believe they've altered the scale. I'm interested in your opinion.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

To more accurately convert knots to miles per hour.

top topics

join