It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far could technology go? Could humans become selfaware?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
In the future could technology be so advanced that you see the interent through contacts or something. These things become hot, like the Iphone did. Everyone has one and you could NEVER go back, we just went through a technological revolution. And then at some point you find out that you can let everyone else see through your eyes. It's like a new type of webcam. Much of the population thinks it's the coolest thing ever, while others are scared about privacy. What if this can be hacked into? What if we knew it could be hacked but we couldn't get rid of it. Either because of how the world works or maybe they are permanently implanted.

You couldn't lie, everything would have been recorded. What a horrible thing, but could it create world peace?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I think it would make you God. You would know everything. All knowledge would be at your fingertips. I think people would start comitting suicide. Those who didn't could start civilization over and keep the knowledge, be the kings of countries and be worshiped like the Gods they are.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I guess the battle would be between those who want the knowledge and those who don't.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cbvh27

I wouldn't doubt this happening in the future. Really weird to think about

What if... Recording through the eyes is what the government really wants. Because they want the "all seeing eye" kind of thing to actually play out literal, be all knowing and all seeing.

But, wait, what if that's already happening.. Could us humans be recording every day life for a collective consciousnesses?

hmmmmmmmmmm

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Reminds me of a movie. In this movie it records the experience and then you were able to play back that.

They showed guys experiencing the woman's pregnancy and other things. The main thing was about a person that watched a murder happen and a trial went on and an innocent person got off. This person didn't want to share because they were doing illegal things while the murder happened and a journalist or somebody had to track down this experience to let the real murderer get put away.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbvh27
In the future could technology be so advanced that you see the interent through contacts or something. These things become hot, like the Iphone did. Everyone has one and you could NEVER go back, we just went through a technological revolution. And then at some point you find out that you can let everyone else see through your eyes. It's like a new type of webcam. Much of the population thinks it's the coolest thing ever, while others are scared about privacy. What if this can be hacked into? What if we knew it could be hacked but we couldn't get rid of it. Either because of how the world works or maybe they are permanently implanted.

You couldn't lie, everything would have been recorded. What a horrible thing, but could it create world peace?

I wouldn't mind if cops, soldiers, and politicians had to have them.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Google/Android is now currently creating smart glasses that could potentially have this capability.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm confused. The title of the thread is How far could technology go? Could humans become selfaware?

Humans are self-aware.

Self-Aware Definition

Edit to Add: Or they should be.

edit on 3/23/2012 by Open2Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cbvh27

I'm all for post human/trans-human progression.

Methinks your scope is, however too limited.

Consider whole brain backup systems, or external storage and even 'software' migration from wet-ware bodies to more durable hardware replacement bodies.

Further than that, consider existence without a body at all; as pure information existing as intelligent self organizing magnetic fields.
Data on computers and credit cards is already stored magnetically.
What's to say magnetic life doesn't exist already?

Then also, there's self organizing intelligently controlled states of pure energy.

Break free of the body through technology that begins with whole brain backup systems and external storage, and then eventually, no body at all is even needed, unless you really want to limit yourself by the constraints of a physical body.

Look past the next iPhone trend. Look larger. Look Beyond.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open2Truth
I'm confused. The title of the thread is How far could technology go? Could humans become selfaware?

Humans are self-aware.

Self-Aware Definition

Edit to Add: Or they should be.

edit on 3/23/2012 by Open2Truth because: (no reason given)

Glad you added the edit, I know many that aren't.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I think we would cease to be human at that point, become something divine as a poster above stated. Well, as divine as a living being can get. I wonder what alien races would think of us at that point should we ever make contact.... Oh crap, we are the BORG!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

TextGlad you added the edit, I know many that aren't.

How could a Human not be self aware?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Think about giving this to like a 2 year old. No more listening to them say why every 5 seconds, just teach them how to do a search

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cbvh27

Hey Buddy

I'm with you!
Actually, I'm ahead of you

In 2008 I realized that the next thing will be glasses with cameras and monitors enabling you to "be someone else". I wrote a complete set of software for the glasses. You can see it here. Complete "Being someone else" plus bonuses.

www.BeMeCollective.com

BeMe Collective Objectives

1. To develop necessary framework for the support of new wearable technology. The primary effort at the initial stage will be on glasses capable of video/audio transmission and reception (also known collectively as binocular optical remote glasses/gadget).

2. To create a collective where people from all over the world can voluntarily share their experiences in real time. Users will be able to ‘become someone else’ for a desired period of time.

3. To provide an architecture for collection of human experience. Such collective memory will be of great assistance to future historians, crime investigation, exploration and more. For self-use, it eliminates(?) the need for human memory as users can always ‘rewind’ to the moment in time they desire.

Now I'm waiting for the glasses to come out !

Cheers

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbvh27
I think it would make you God. You would know everything. All knowledge would be at your fingertips. I think people would start comitting suicide. Those who didn't could start civilization over and keep the knowledge, be the kings of countries and be worshiped like the Gods they are.

Who's to say that it hasn't already happened, over and over many times.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
reply to post by calnorak

TextGlad you added the edit, I know many that aren't.

How could a Human not be self aware?

It wasn't meant as literal, it was a slight to certain people that don't want to wake up. (have to add that I am very tired and rereading that even in this context doesn't make sense, so you can take it or leave it)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It would be an illusion of world peace, artificially created and sustained with psychological terrorism. Considering they can decode brainsignals, this definitely seems like a real possibility.
edit on 23/3/2012 by 1lluminatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

I'm just grateful that a couple of other people picked up on that from the title. I'm still scratching my head.

By the way, the edit to add was suppose to be a tongue-in-cheek comment on the overall state of things, where a reference to humans "becoming" self aware wasn't picked up on by many - not literal.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
awesome to think about.

i still find my self missing a bit of dropped food on my shirt.

need contacts for that first.

good OP.

S

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

The term telepresence was coined in a 1980 article by Marvin Minsky, who outlined his vision for an adapted version of the older concept of teleoperation that focused on giving the remote participation a feeling of actually being present.

To some degree this is a reality today, with surgeons able to do procedures via remote control and of course there is drone war fare. I suppose it's just about making this available to the average consumer.

There are increasing reports of people walking into lamp post and into lakes while texting, so I guess in a 'sufficitianly advanced society, (wireless)technology may become indistigushable from schizophrenia'

edit on 24-3-2012 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join