It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Window to prepare is closing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Good Day fellow patriots, expatriots, and home grown terroristas. March is almost over... another week and it will be April. Have you been busy? I sure hope so...

Why? Do pray tell...Why should we be ready?

First, time can never be recovered. A lost opportunity when it comes to planting is just that... a lost opportunity. The right time to buy groceries and long term storage items is now, while you have money or a job or while the prices are still within your buying power. Now is the time to check your inventory. Do we have enough ammo or medical supplies or batteries or matches or firewood.... Once the stuff starts, it will be too late.

Second, gas prices are still on the rise. The gas we are buying today was purchased and processed last month at the going market prices back then. of course market dynamics and speculation also drive the prices. Anyway, as gas and oil rise, expect to see a continued spiral up on all consumer items... food, steel, plastics, rubber, concrete. Yesterday, I retagged my fenced in yard at work. We are a farm supply store and all...ALL of my fencing and 3 point eqipment went up...anywhere from 5 dollars a roll on barbed wire to 100 dollars up on a 3 pt landscape rake or 20 blade disc.

Thirdly, social instability in the US. Last years OWS movement...right or wrong...good or bad... will continue in various forms this spring and summer. People are hurting more than ever and with gas approaching 5 dollars a gallon in some places and above 4 bucks in most others.... there will be a host of disenfranchised peoples in the US. Throw in the shooting of the unarmed, young, black man in Florida... an increase in violent and theft crime in the US... things can spiral out of control quickly. Now, mix in the Democratic and Republican Conventions and a vitrolic election year... and you have the ingredients for a replay of the 1968 Democratic Convention. Anti-war protests, Civil Rights Protests, Economic Protests... all of these things make for an exciting and dangerous summer.

Fourthly, and by no means the least...Israel and Iran. I just read a report and analysis of a potential strike on Iran via Israel. The conditions ripe for such a strike include new moons for cover and suprise, weather conditions, political climate, and potential for world support or condemnation. We are in a new moon phase right now. The weather conditions only get worse as we enter summer. And with the shooting of Jews in France, the rise in anti-Semmitism in Europe, and Obama growing weaker and needing the support of US Jews, and a more favorable attitude to an Israeli strike by Israeli citizens... an Israeli strike may come sooner than later.

Imagine you awake Sunday morning...

the Sabbath is over in Israel and a predawn attack en masse by Israel on Iran has occurred with the help of US AWACS, Special Forces and British SAS forces on the ground, and US cruise missles. Iran has retaliated with quicker than anticipated speed...using their high speed patrol boats... despite heavy losses, a string of stray rockets have managed to sink a US frigate and seriously damage a US carrier. Tensions in Pakistan and Afghanisatn boil over in uprisings, protests, and a massive upswing in terrorist bombings and suicidal shootings. Russia sends "advisors" to Iran and Syria... Egyptian forces are massing along Gaza and israel's southern border in the Sinai. India troops are placed on alert along the Pakistan Border and N Korea joins Iran in retaliatory strikes against the US and S Korea. China plays neutral trying to reign in N Korea... but really use the mounting conflict to play politics in the UN and converge it's troops strategically along the Korean Penninsula and along the Indian and Afghan borders.

In the US, the OWS movement has merged with other political and social groups...including Farrakhan's Nation of Islam in protesting the joint US/Israeli strike and another war. A few buildings are seized in NY, Washington, and San Francisco... in NY, hostages are taken and a few of the OWS members are shot by tactical units in a rescue attempt. In Chicago, a Jewish synagogue is burned by extremem militants claiming membership with the OWS, but the acts are quickly condemned by the OWS.

Oil speculation and world crisis impact the markets Monday morning and gas shoots to $5.50 -$6.00 a gallon before lunch. Unconfirmed rumours are coming in that a missile counter strike has been launched by Iran and that Syrian and Lebannon have launched ground strikes along the Golan Heights with air support from Russia. Gas shoots to $7.00 a gallon by close of markets Monday evening.

All that being said...and it is purely speculation, are you ready yet?

Like many of you, I am not made of money. I work for a living. Do you have the basics to survive not going to the store for a week? Maybe two weeks? How about a month?

There are other threads that list all the things you need and they are probably better written. Have you acted on those threads and started staging items for survival?

I went shopping today and loaded up two full shopping carts for a little over $200 dollars. I know prices vary from state to state, but if you use your head..it is easier than imagined.

Dry beans..usually $1.00-$1.20 a lb bag...can feed a family of four one meal. left overs can be turned into chili or beans and rice.

Pasta...nowadays about $1.00 for a 16ounce box. Makes a quick, easy meal for four and served as macaronni salad, maccaroni and cheese, pasta and sauce, pasta and a butter garlic sauce, mixed with a thickened chicken broth for a wonderful soup or main course.

Canned goods... at my local Dollar Store I can buy canned veggies at 60cents a can... others at .66 a can or 3 for $2. Loaded up on corn, string beans, pork and beans...all stuff that you can eat as a side or use to make something else.

Potatoes... apples... cabbages... if kept in a cool NOT cold..cool, dark, and dry space.. they will last a full 6 months or longer. I just planted red potatoes I dug up last July. The rest I ate.

Hygeine supplies...toothpaste, brushes, deodorant, mouth wash, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, aspirins, cold medicines, allergy pills... toilet paper...in a SHTF situation...toilet paper will be worth more than the US dollar is today.

Can Openers... Can Openers...Hand Turned Can Openers...nuff said.

Basic tools...hammer, nails, screw drivers, hand saws, shovels, crow bar or wrecking bar, wire and tin snips, pliers...wood screws, metal self drilling screws, hinges, latches, etc.

Coffee.. I bought 2 big tubs of coffee for 6 bucks a piece. No, it is not starbucks, but after a crappy day fighting the Apocolypse... a good cup of joe makes things more better.

Canned milk or powdered milk. Or if you have room, a couple of Nubian milk goats.

Which leads us to livestock. chickens...you do NOT need a rooster to get eggs. In an HOA community, keep the chickens hidden and no one will know you have fresh eggs.

If in the country...pigs, hogs, or with less room to grow..heritage or guinea hogs...small hogs that make a lot of meat. A food reserve literally on the hoof. And put into a small mobile pen on skids or a sled..move around the garden... you have a pig tractor similar to a chicken tractor that actually tills and fertilizes your garden area.

OK... my time grows short and so does yours. Look at the news. Follow your heart. Get ready... now.
edit on 23-3-2012 by AlreadyGone because: spelling

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
That was all a great read except for the part where you think OWS will join forces with the nation of Islam. That's just preposterous on so many levels.

I agree that people should have a measure of preparedness (and I am moderately prepared), but I should also note that I've been reading threads like this for about 10 years, and I can still get a burrito from taco cabana.

I did give you a star and flag for a nicely thought out piece overall (sans the OWS / Islam thing)
edit on 23-3-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Nice Post

I thought I was ready now I'm stressed out and I have to go buy more and check.

That was novel worthy for a bit...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Costco, outside of Atlanta, as of yesterday evening, has no dried beans on the shelves. Also no space to put anymore in the future. As of this afternoon, Walmart is charging $2,49 for a 2 lb. bag of dried beans.

This past month, I found large frozen Jenny-O turkeys for 74cents a lb. Bought 5, 20 lb frozen turkeys. Turkey is one of the most cost effective meats available right now. Soups, sandwiches, casseroles...bones to freeze for stock and making pet food with.

Des

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

In a SHTF situation...toilet paper will be worth more than the US dollar is today.

It already is.

All joking aside. Thats was a fairly informative post, minding the OWS/Nation of Islam union.

The world is becoming more and more volatile, not just politically and economically, but also envronmentally.
You can't run to the store and buy a fire extinguisher once the house is already on fire. You can't run out and purchase a firearm when the burglar or looter is standing in your living room.

Get your supplies now and just hope you never have to use them.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I just noticed a few days ago that Overstock.com has an Emergency Preparedness Depatment:
www.overstock.com...

Click on thumbnail for larger photo.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
I just noticed a few days ago that Overstock.com has an Emergency Preparedness Depatment:
www.overstock.com...

Click on thumbnail for larger photo.

Sam's Clubs, for the 3rd month in a row, their #1 selling item online has been a $1,600 survival pallet of goods packed in smaller, labeled boxes..

A lot of people thinking the same thing methinks.....

Des

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I understand that some people were put off by my coupling of OWS with the Nation of Islam... however, there is already some audio and news reports of OWS being associated with leftist and extremist groups... again, OWS may not associate itself with these groups... but these groups do profess an association with OWS.

Further, as I said, the speculation on my part was fiction. However, many groups follow the ideal that " The enemy of my enemy is my friend." The opponents of capitalism, greed, and Wall Street will at some point become allied.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
In email from Costco this morning. They now are selling vegetarian emergency food supplies, plus others. They also have a gluten free emergency food kit.

Seems that enough people are prepping in some form or another, that large wholesale warehouse stores are including
bulk supplies in what they offer to the public. Makes you think doesn't it.....

Limited Time Offer:

$15 discount is reflected in the price. Valid for orders placed March 26, 2012 through April 15, 2012. While supplies last.
Online price $99.99
Less -$15.00
YOUR COST $84.99

Ready to eat every day of the week! With all-new recipes made from high quality ingredients, all 275 servings burst with flavor and nutrition. Savor the comforting essence of Creamy Potato Soup or the family-pleasing Italian Tomato Pasta for lunch or dinner, or start the day off right with a heart-healthy bowl of oatmeal. These meals are no longer just long-term food supply but tasty enough for everyday use.

Along with the enhanced flavors, Food for Health has also increased the nutritional value as well. Each entrée is high in protein and offers no hydrogenated oils(excludes whey milk), trans fats, or added MSG. Making a healthy meal has never been so easy or affordable. Just add boiling water, and in 25 minutes, a mouth-watering meal is ready to serve; priced under 35 cents, Food For Health's Food Supply Kit easily fits into any budget.

Although recommended for daily use, the 275 serving Food Kit is still the best choice for any outdoor activity and stocking your shelves with a long-term food supply.

Easy to Prepare Nutritional and preparation information
Up to a 20 Year Shelf Life*
Must have water and heat source
275 servings – 55 pouches per kit (5 servings each pouch)
25 Servings of Cheesy Broccoli & Rice
30 Servings of Vegetable Rice
35 Servings of Creamy Potato Soup
25 Servings of Italian Tomato Pasta
25 Servings of Tuscan Butter Pasta
35 Servings of Barley Vegetable Soup
50 Servings of Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
50 Servings of Whey Milk**
Sealed in convenient Weather-Proof pail for easy transport
100% Vegetarian – added MSG or Trans Fats
Total Weight 23 lbs.

Our company's name reflects our commitment of providing food that promotes optimal health, increased longevity, and a sustained quality of life.

The Date of Manufacturing is printed on each individual packet, The Expiration Date for all the food is printed on a sticker located on the outside of the pail.

*For best taste and nutritional value, use product before:
20 years of manufacturing date when stored at 60° F (16.6° C)
10 years of manufacturing date when stored at 70° F (21.1° C)

**Contains Partially Hydrogenated Oil www.costco.com...
[

edit on 26-3-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Here's one of the big kits, a best seller for Costco.....It offers a one year peace of mind in the advertising....

17,586 Total Servings of
Emergency Food Kit By Shelf Reliance® THRIVE™
17 Cents Per Serving
336 #10 Cans Freeze-dried & Dehydrated Food with Cookbook.
Item # 559948
Rated
4.6 out of 5

$2,999.99
After $500 OFF
Shipping & Handling included *

Shelf Reliance® is your premier source for food storage and emergency preparedness planning. Because nothing is more important than the health and safety of your family, Shelf Reliance® provides only top-of-the-line products. As with all of Shelf Reliance's products THRIVE™ Foods are held to the highest standards. All THRIVE™ foods are reviewed by a quality assurance team that carefully tests each product to verify that it meets the standards of premium, long-lasting quality. THRIVE™ Foods have been developed with everyday menu planning in mind, and the extended shelf life of each product makes this package the perfect addition to your long-term food storage supply. Great taste and simple preparation make THRIVE™ a trusted source of healthy, delicious meals anytime.

This THRIVE™ Package was built to provide an estimated 1-year food supply for 4 people based on a 1500 calorie per day diet. It comes complete with 336 #10 (gallon-sized) cans of grains, fruits, veggies, meats, beans, dairy, and baking essentials. This package provides the variety and nutrition needed to survive emergency situations for up to a year and is a perfect addition to your existing food reserve. With 17,586 servings and many foods with a shelf life of up to 25 years, this package will give you peace of mind during times of need.

www.costco.com...

top topics

join