It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GIANT SPIDER IDENTIFICATION REQUIRED - HELP!! PICS BELOW

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Your second picture is an opiliones. Also called Harvestmen. They are not really spiders but closer related to mites. They are not poisonous and can't make web. This is not the real Daddy Longlegs, but most people don't know the difference. Here is some pictures from a danish site: www.vestrehus.dk... They are called Mejere in danish.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Looks to me like what we call "Rain Spiders" here in South Africa.I personaly call them Ceiling Fairies" cus they always to be found on the ceilings here,not ever on the walls or floor for some reason.What i do is,i spray a goodly blast of Raid on it.(Raid works on snakes too,i killed a Moçambique spitting cobra with it once,sprayed in its face till it was stunned+then beat it to death with a sjambok.You have to wear glasses though,cus it will try to spray venom in your eyes+its a crack shot.) When it drops,it hits the ground running,and its VERY fast,so dont waste time bludgeoning or stomping it,be ready as it starts falling.You need to plug that hole in the bathroom with something like that white foam stuff that dries to become solid,ask at a hardware store.Good luck.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Living in the tropics of Australia, I'd say it kinda looks like a Huntsman but we have so many spiders it's not funny! Although I can't stand hurting animals, the bottom line is if I find any sort of spider in the house it has to be killed, because you can never know here what can seriously hurt you. Does your local museum have a insect/arachnid drawer display that you can look through to see if there's a match? The last thing you need is a nest of spiders brewing in the bathroom....

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RestlessNRG

Do they sell cans of sealant foam there, you could run it along the tub edge and then seal the hole with duct tap and foam.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
thats not a daddy long legs they have small rounded bodies, non-prevalent eyes, and long skinny spindly legs/ whoever said that has never lives in southern new jersey

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I couldn't help to click the link as I'm so fascinated by spiders and also super creeped out by them too I think I'm going to vomit now.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberdaz

I sometimes wonder how any Australian makes it through the day alive,lol! Seems the only non-poisonous thing in Oz,is the air you guys breathe.Seriously,i am not a wimp,but i would be scared to go outside,and inside's not perfectly safe either.Add in bad health/diseases,crime and road accidents..a miracle there's more than 5K people alive on the entire continent.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
To me it looks like a wolf spider, especially in the first picture. The striated body is most common feature and they can vary greatly in shape. Wolf spiders are fast, afraid of people, can get quite large and are also called "trap door spiders" because they hide and dart out at insects but are not poisonous. For this reason houses make a great hideaway. They're probably the most frequently killed around my area because they move so quick and people don't want to take the time to try to get a positive ID on them. I've gotten fairly good at catch-and-release for them, they're just as happy on a tree in my backyard.

Wolf Spiders

Best not to take chances however, and what I try to do is look up all spiders found in my local area online to be sure I know how to spot the lethal ones.
edit on 23-3-2012 by saint4God because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2012 by saint4God because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I'd like to share my spider story. Actually, a couple of stories. The first story, briefly, is that I was bitten around the eye by some kind of spider when I was three or so, while I was sleeping, and the fact that the bite was in such a sensitive area meant that my eye (tissue around the eye) swelled to the size of a baseball, and I went screaming to the emergency room, and was given an injection there (a corticosteroid?) that I still remember 40 years later.

Second story: about ten years ago, I lived in Charlotte, NC and used to love to travel to Linville Gorge in the mountains, and climb to this lovely place called The Chimneys, where you can see for miles into the gorge. One time, I arrived late and was too lazy (for some reason...) to climb all the way to the top. I made the bad choice of camping solo in the loam among the trees. Overnight, I discovered I had chosen inadvertantly to camp in the midst of a colony of these babies:

www.petbugs.com...

Carolina Wolf Spider, the largest Wolf Spider. There were hundreds. I had no light, and didn't feel like going to find the trail. They crawled over me all night, big as mice, and suicided themselves in the embers of my fire, roasting like little pieces of bacon. Afterwards, I felt sorry for them. Of course I couldn't sleep all night, with these things crawling over me; literally they were a swarm, and I could see actual lines of them heading for me and the fire!

I didn't get a bite all night, of course, but it was still scary.
edit on 23-3-2012 by godspetrat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I am scared to death of spiders so a dead spider is a good spider. I don't care what type it is.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
It is a Wolf Spider

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
The 10 most deadly spiders in the world:

www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

www.vincelewis.net...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
i havent read far into this post. but if not said yet it looks alot like a wolf spider.
Heres a pic:

edit: Beat by two. sorry i missed the one literally two ahead of me. Long trip for it looks like it may have mated with something over there. I remember playing hiding go seek as a kid. hiding behind one of those 80's style leafed look couches. When i noticed a gigantic one, almost face to face, due to him being almost camo'd to it. Freaked me the hell out. Never played hide n seek again. =(. lol.
edit on 20/09/2011 by 10111011 because: beaten to it. Srry

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RestlessNRG

that spider aint a spider !! you should see the size of them over here...

well I just tried to find a pic of a bird eating spider to put up here but as soon as I found the pic I had to click x straight away cos I got too creeeped out.

I am internally shivering right now. lmao

a big white one was right above me while I was outside this outback restaurant having a smoke and I was really relaxed until I saw it and then I was like internally screaming and moved away but I tell ya, the mf's eyes were that big it really freaked me out cos it was just watching me.

oh holy hell.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Please don't kill these spiders they are harmless here in US we call them "Daddy Long Legs" not

''Hooiwagen spider'' Love them !!!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
That for certain is a dead spider. Name him Boris, listen to old Who albums, all will be O.K. Or name him and take him off your taxes as a dependent.
edit on 27-3-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by starlitestarbrite

That's not a Grandaddy Long Legs. Body is way to big, GDLL is also very poisionous, problem being it has no way in inject the venom. So they are harmless, unless they get on you then you bang your self all to snip trying to get it off.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262
reply to post by starlitestarbrite

That's not a Grandaddy Long Legs. Body is way to big, GDLL is also very poisionous, problem being it has no way in inject the venom. So they are harmless, unless they get on you then you bang your self all to snip trying to get it off.

Urban legend. They have no venom glands.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I never kill a spider, always get a glass and a piece of paper and slide the spider into the glass and throw it out the window; it can take its chances outside.

I sure as hell havent seen anything as big as the house spiders that people have linked but as much as spiders dont really bother me, this freaks me out big time!

And here in Scotland a daddy long legs is a crane fly, well at least in my generation and older it is.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I haven't seen a large spider in my house since the time about three years ago, when my brother brought me the "gift" (gift is German for poison, you know!) of two Brown Recluses (I believe in his guitar amp) from grad school in Arkansas.

I don't normally kill spiders, but killed those mercilessly as they left their hiding place within thirty minutes of each other, and bolted for doors, one to the back and one to the front! Not only are they dangerous, they are not native to Virginia except for warehouses and in other isolated cases, and could be considered an invasive species.

Oh yeah; any other spider I can tolerate, especially little house spiders that help to cut down on little bugs. The house spiders I mean may be called something else, and are the ones that live in corners and between windowpanes and storm windows. My latest thing is wasps, and I trap them in a jar and let them go outside. Almost got stung today by a particularly fast and clever one, but luckily I have fast reactions as well!
edit on 28-3-2012 by godspetrat because: additional information.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join