It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you download videos from Youtube to your hard drive for later viewing?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
There is a documentary I really wana watch and the only time I have to watch it is going to be this weekend. The problem is that I will be away from any type of internet connection.

Heres the doco from their website
TROM: The reality of me

And the youtube page its also on
TROM--Youtube

My question is:
Is there anyway I can download this video onto my laptops hard drive now from either their site or youtube so I can watch it later?

Thanks in advance for any help.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
yes you can download a program called spool (need to create account but its free to do so) and save it that way for later viewing offline or a program called vdownloader which works in the same way.
i personaly use spool i find it much more easy to use.

hope this helps

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Yes. There are several ways to do so. For you, I would recommend a program called "Free Youtube Download." All you have to do is copy and paste the URL (of your video) into the program and FYD will convert the Youtube video to something you can watch on your computer. For those of you who are more knowledgeable about Internet videos, there is another program. Personally I use "Replay Media Catcher" (Pirate it!) which actually captures RTMP streams (aka Internet videos) from almost any site. I can go on Youtube, CNN, Foxnews, etc and the program will record and download the source of the video as I am watching it. It will save the video as an FLV file, but VLC media player can handle those files. The program does have it's faults. For one, it can't download Hulu videos. A bug I noticed in the program is that sometimes it will capture 1.74MB of the video and stop after that. But besides that, it works great!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Thanks for the help guys.
I know I cant put ANY pirating software on my laptop though, because it is my work computer and that would constitute a secruity breech.

Thanks though, I will check out the sites you recomended.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

I use the Speedbit Video Downloader from DAP. I believe it integrates with Firefox and Internet Explorer. The video is saved as an FLV so you will also need the necessary codecs to view the saved video. Hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Get Download Helper from the add ons section in Firefox.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I use Youtube Downloader HD. Works perfectly.

Also, I live on campus at a university so torrents are strictly prohibited here too. But I've never had a problem with this.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by anarky1965

I use the Speedbit Video Downloader from DAP. I believe it integrates with Firefox and Internet Explorer. The video is saved as an FLV so you will also need the necessary codecs to view the saved video. Hope this helps.

Sorry but I have no clue what 'codecs' are.
Any help for how I would figure that out?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

a codec is basically a particular file format for audio or video or both but generally if you use VLC it plays 99.99% of stuff thrown at it unlike windows media player

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by faint1993
I use Youtube Downloader HD. Works perfectly.

Also, I live on campus at a university so torrents are strictly prohibited here too. But I've never had a problem with this.

This looks like my best bet. It looks like its pretty easy to use too.
The only problem is that my work computer has some pretty high security settings and when I tried to downlad the software, I got a restricted security message from my companies security. Im sure I will be contacted shortly about what I was trying to download that set of the security moniter.

Actually Im supprised I am even able to get onto ATS.

So I guess I will just have to download the program on my home computer, then get it saved on my home computer, then transfer the video file via flash drive to my work laptop.

Dang security B.S. ......cant we all just get along

Thanks guys, you've been a big help!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheUnusualSuspect

Was just about to recommend that....

It's very easy.... you click on the download helper icon, click the file which is already automatically detected and then save wherever you like on your laptop.

It's usually .flv but sometimes mp4 also.

I'd use .flv and as long as you have flash player... you're good to go.

edit on 22/3/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
@ OP -

try this my friend; www.onlinevideoconverter.com . . . .it might work, I use this too download certain music from youtube. Take the URL, copy and paste it to the download bar, and DL. I have never tried too download a video though .. maybe it works for that too

~Love is an art

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by TheUnusualSuspect

Was just about to recommend that....

It's very easy.... you click on the download helper icon, click the file which is already automatically detected and then save wherever you like on your laptop.

It's usually .flv but sometimes mp4 also.

I'd use .flv and as long as you have flash player... you're good to go.

edit on 22/3/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

Do I have to download and use firefox from now on? Because like I said earlier, this is for my 'work' laptop and changing the settings and what not, is a big no no here. Weez gots top secret stuff

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Quite sorry I should have included the links and more information. The Speedbit Video Downloader has been updated to convert the videos as well. I have also used VLC but prefer the browser integration of Speedbit. If you are using Media Player to view your documentary I suggest downloading and installing the K-Lite Codec Pack although it is a fairly large file and you will probably never need all the codecs.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I'll copy and paste my reply from a similar thread:

"Easiest one out there is keepvid.com. Just copy and paste the link from youtube into their site, and you can either download the full video in flv, mp4, or just mp3 audio. There's also a firefox addon called ANT video downloader, though I've had trouble using it with youtube lately. Definitely check out keepvid before any of the others."

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I usually download videos from Youtube through an online video grabber. It is very convenient that you only need to copy the URL and paste it to the website. It will then grab online videos for you. There is no need to install any programs and it is totally free.
edit on 17-4-2012 by Mavis01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I do this all the time, it is perfectly legal. First you need Mozilla Firefox Browser. Then you will need this extension:
Video DownloadHelper
VDH will be on your taskbar, at the left side of your URL bar. I configure mine for "Services, Download Mode" to "Normal", and
"Behavior" in the General Tab to "Download". Now, when I want to download a video that is Flash, and online for viewing, the little Download Helper animates, I just click on it, and decide which folder to download it to. By default DH will place it in a folder named "dwhelper".

That's all there is to it!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
nobody has bothered to tell you that downloading youtube videos is not exactly legal,

just because something can be done does not make it ok and legal,

may i suggest reading youtubes terms and conditions

www.youtube.com...

you agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Website itself, the YouTube Player, or such other means as YouTube may explicitly designate for this purpose;

you agree not to access Content or any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as intended through and permitted by the normal functionality of the Service, and solely for Streaming. "Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material by YouTube via the Internet to a user operated Internet enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Yes, actually, most youtube videos now have a ''download'' feature at the bottem of the player.

Also if you have realplayer, you can download videos directly to it.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by solvectra

How is it illegal, when youtube itself gives a download option...

gyazo.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

<<   2 >>

join