It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guiding Drones With Hand Gestures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

(for credit, yoinked from globalguerrillas.typepad.com...)

Using air traffic control gestures to control a (or a swarm) of drones from the ground.

Very interesting. Now, how it'll tell the difference between a legitimate operator and Joe Blow isn't really clear. However, I thought some of you might find this interesting.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Just like in the "Sleep Dealers" movie... very nice one BTW... hope it stays as a movie...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

If I was operating it they would need to program it with the "removal of nasal detritus" gesture along with "flipping the bird". The research is cool enough but the application is not in my humble and unimportant opinion. Remote warfare is unfair, whether abroad or at home for surveillance tactics. Cowardly almost...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Unfair compared to what? Is there some form that you do find fair?

I understand your unease. But this isn't two people facing each other at 10 paces.

Don't you think that your unease might be more based on a concern for oppression?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

All nice and dandy but what makes them think that if the drones can be controlled by one person and his hand gestures, that it cant be controlled by others who also know the right hand gestures to control those drones.

But I think there just experimenting, as an implement into eventually controlling it with the mind...Mind power..uhhh.
And as you know there is a lot of links and interfaces into how we control things such as machines between our physical gestures the mental signals and synapses firing in our heads when we perform those gestures, and the translations of the programs of the machines in question. Even when playing videogames on the computer, and consoles the actions of the controlled drone or character when pressing those buttons with your fingers bring different patterns into your head/brain that resemble and induce the actual physical movement...A form of pattern recognition I suppose.

You ever seen a person who never played or used one of them console controllers play a high action video game before, and watch how they physically move around as they try to move the character. When they try to move the character to the right or left instead of just moving there fingers, they have a tendency to move there entire body in a almost mimic of the character or drone there trying to control. And after a long time and they get used to it, they no longer move there entire body when trying to get the avatar to move. A sort of learning behavior, mind and body pattern recognition.

Maybe there trying to create a basic program to control these drones, you know a form of symbolism/hand-gestures that can be both interpreted by the human mind and the machine insync. If anything we might see toys coming down the line in the coming years on the market that can be controlled in funny and cool new ways.

Like in the cartoons, books and movies Aeons...Just hook it directly into my cerebral cortex.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
That seems like a good possibility. Physiological psychology. Also an interesting possible application for those who are wired up different, and not just those who've practiced this through actions such as gaming.

Driving a large action from the central nervous system down to the peripheral nervous system. A nervous system subvocalization. An application for those who've been required to learn to use executive function for nervous system control.

catherine-chadwick.suite101.com...

The Brain Cannot Tell The Difference Between a Real and an Imagined Action
According to Lynne McTaggart in her book The Intention Experiment, electromyography (EMG) has shown that the brain does not differentiate between the thought of an action and a real action. In an experiment with a group of skiers, EMG discovered that when they mentally rehearsed their downhill runs, the electrical impulses sent to the muscles were the same as when physically engaged in the runs.

Intention is everything.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
X-box Kinnect:

And you thought CoD was a beyond obvious training module. The leader boards are the new Monster.com of the military-industrial complex.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

The matrix has you Aeons, obviously your crazy. Don't you know that there is no body and were all energy, the Buddha's and others have been saying it for a long while. So why be surprised that the patterns of energy and its recognition's act the same way as when there simulating and actually doing it for real. The funny thing is some need constructs such as body's and machines, even space ships to travel in this dimension, others just magically think themselves to were they want to go and be at as long as they know the details of how the whole thing functions and operates.

You and we and them are the matrix, and sometimes it's a beautiful sight to behold.

Psychobabble I know, I know.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23
X-box Kinnect:

And you thought CoD was a beyond obvious training module. The leader boards are the new Monster.com of the military-industrial complex.

I would not let the kinnect get to friendly or on all the time, you know there watching you through it. I dont know why, since most people do the same old stuff day in and day out. Whoever or whatever is watching must be completely bored out of there minds.

But ya, toys are and can be much more then just toys. They are the first line of implication in a long chain of recourse and even resource, leading to other things completely. Games are how the mind functions and is best at doing...Even in places such as this, in a vague and impersonal theme of online gobbledygook people just want to have fun, and play games, even with there writing and there words.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

I think you're hitting on me galad.

I bring you ROBOMOTH.

spectrum.ieee.org...

Take a moth during its pupal stage. Insert electrodes and a control chip into it. Wait a few days. The result? An unmanned aerial vehicle, of course!

Turning moths (or pigeons, rats, beetles, bees, and sharks, for that matter) into remote controlled cyborg critters has long been a goal of mad scientists and DARPA program managers.

edit on 2012/3/22 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I think you're hitting on me galad. I bring you ROBOMOTH.

I have seen the robomoth before Aeons.

You know now that you have changed your avatar to something more PG, I can think more clearly. And I think! That I just possibly might have been.

However I deny all plausibility, and you cant prove otherwise.

top topics

join