It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Dark Matter perhaps the elusive and yet unseen "Mass Object" heading towards us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Just thought I would throw a Gray Area topic out for a little discussion and food for thought.

Going on the notion that there is indeed some sort of "mass object" perhaps affecting our solar system's gravity (e.g. Seismic activity on Earth, intense Sun activity, etc) is too far of a stretch to postulate that it may very well be a big heaping blob of Dark Matter that our solar system is barreling towards and not something barreling towards us per se.

Dark Matter is still in it's theoretical diapers as it is so therefore it wouldn't be visible I would suspect.

To the lay person (me for one), if it's matter dark or otherwise, it would have gravity and therefore should have the ability to affect all the bodies in our solar system in ways we're not accustomed to.

Here is a brief excerpt of a good one page explanation of dark matter (link to full description below).

Updated 1993 by SIC.
Original by Scott I. Chase.

What is Dark Matter?

This is the open question. There are many possibilities, and nobody really knows much about this yet. Here are a few of the many published suggestions, which are being currently hunted for by experimentalists all over the world. Remember, you need at least one baryonic candidate and one non-baryonic candidate to make everything work out, so there there may be more than one correct choice among the possibilities given here.

Normal matter which has so far eluded our gaze, such as:
dark galaxies
brown dwarfs
planetary material (rock, dust, etc.)
Massive Standard Model neutrinos. If any of the neutrinos are massive, then this could be the missing mass. On the other hand, if they are too heavy, as the purported 17 keV neutrino would have been, massive neutrinos create almost as many problems as they solve in this regard.
Exotica (See the Particle Zoo FAQ entry for some details.)

Full Page Explanation

Although according to this, dark matter could consist of a Nibiru type of body (as usually described). However, I wanted to draw attention and perhaps bring about some discussion as to the other forms of dark matter that we may actually be hurtling towards as opposed to them bee-lining it to our solar system. The universe is a big place, we should at least consider that it may not be a planetary or binary star at all that is allegedly causing such strange behavior as of late (especially since there is no creditable evidence to my knowledge of said body).

The "Exotica" stuff is interesting. So much we still don't know.

I leave it open for discussion.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Dark matter isn't really an object heading towards us or us towards it, dark matter is all around us its whats supposed to hold our galaxy together.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Agreed, but would it be going too far to postulate that there could be concentrated areas of dark matter?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

Going on the notion that there is indeed some sort of "mass object" perhaps affecting our solar system's gravity (e.g. Seismic activity on Earth, intense Sun activity, etc)

Seismic activity is not increasing.
Solar activity is not abnormal either.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
There was a recent article about dark matter clumps in another galaxy I suppose its possible...

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

"Going on the notion"

...was more meant to translate to "humor me" ...in so many words.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

That's the idea (more or less), as our Sun is the foundation of our solar system, perhaps it goes further up the line (as it were). Perhaps the universe also has similar qualities with respect to dark matter and how it makes up the universe (galaxies, etc) and the gravity throughout.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Thinking even further, provided the 188 day earthquake theory (in plentiful supply here on ATS) is not a coincidence. Could the theory above perhaps account for this apparent anomaly?

In that, if gravitational pull was indeed a factor as has been mentioned and this pull occurs every 188 days +/-, perhaps there is a concentration within our galaxy, or that our galaxy is upon. For this to be true there would have to be two individual concentrations of dark matter approximately opposite one another.

I say two as our annual rotation around the Sun is met twice with seismic activity (188 +/- days) thus explaining this pull occurring at these intervals.

Does that make sense? More so, would it be plausible given the theory in the OP were true?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
That's a very interesting theory. These are definitely interesting times.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

Agreed, but would it be going too far to postulate that there could be concentrated areas of dark matter?

You can postulate it, but the observational evidence from galaxy rotation curves so far is that it's a fairly featureless blob enveloping galaxies in roughly spherical/elliptical shape even when the galaxies of normal matter themselves are complex flat spirals.

We don't really know how it will work for sure since we don't know it's particular particle origin or its interaction laws.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
By crikey!
hellova idea! this is a real possibility which i hadnt even thought may be the essence of what we are going through......
I had considered hat the energy cloud which we have entered, (plasma?)has increased the internal heat of earth as well as other planetary bodies.....
Expanding them somewhat, or that new matter is being formed withing the the core, adding volume...
Concentrated neutrons or other particles passing through earth and doing some damage ....or initiating an exotic process.....
dark matter fits perfectly with this kind of causative explorative postualting.......as we are experiencing planetary size disruptions of late....
I always thought dark matter....was just the residuals of the other dimensions all tacked on to the multiverse....
The silver backing on the mirror.........
But if it has localised concentrations it should be gravitationally reactive....it must be....
this needs deeper minds than mine to ponder....
Wheres Stephen Hawking when ya need him?
F&Sill be back for this one.....

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Wouldnt you detect that super masses gravitational effects on surrounding bodies before it magically appears on your frount doorstep?

Dark matter has nothing to do with a giant mass of matter that flies around and grants wishes.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Concentrated areas of dark matter would amount to invisable objects. We are visable concentrated matter. Dark matter is invisable so concentrated areas of dark matter would be invisable objects. I do not know much about dark matter. Only what I've seen on programs on the science channel or history channel but from what I have heard it is all around us and explains why our universe does not simply fly apart or collapse in on itself.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Wouldnt something that can heat up the earth ( this energy cloud you speak of) heat us up in the process ? If there is a heat source that is heating up the core of the earth then you can bet that anything on the surface of the earth will get heated up even more. So that pretty much rules out any energy source that is heating up the earth because that is just not happening.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Also to further your education: Matter is not formed within the earth or planets. Matter is formed within the core of a dying star. Everything that we see, was first formed within the heart of a star. The final explosion distributes the matter throughout the universe.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Dark matter? A big-ass blob of it hurling toward us in space, but we can't see it because it's dark matter and the whole freakin' universe is dark matter wherever there isn't something else (like a planet or a star), so if we look, all we see is dark matter anyway?

Is this the threat?

So, is this the new Al Qaeda/USSR/Nazi existential threat? How much money will I have to donate to corporations in the form of a % of my tax dollars to ensure that we all survive this one? Damn, staying alive is starting to cost too much to be worth it.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

and the whole freakin' universe is dark matter wherever there isn't something else

Physicists worldwide have yet been able to fully explain dark matter let alone fully understand how it is made up in the universe, or what of, you however managed to solve it all in one eloquent post on a postulation thread on ATS.

Bravo!

...alas, as your avatar states "It really does not matter in the end"
edit on 3/22/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join