It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing 3D Printer in Action-makes a wrench: (truly the future will change fast)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somamech

Have you had a part made from an SLA Machine from Either the OLD Days or the New Days ?

Ask Engineers what they like to work with

Granted though mate some Machines which deposit material layer by layer have incredible resolution compared to other machines

The last part I had made for me was in the 1998 1999 timeframe, I haven't worked with any of these new parts. I was designing new equipment that had some molded plastic parts that snapped into metal parts. Covers, basically. And these SLA parts were good for "1" snap. Perfect for design reviews though.

They really did look nice, the flat surfaces were smooth and shiny, angled surfaces would sometimes exhibit the ropey layering of process artifacts.

This new stuff is cool, and the "low" cost is encouraging, a small SLA machine was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars back then. Small like shoebox sized tank small, if I recall correctly.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Hi,

I guess by then they would have nano-assemblers that would print your bodily part inside of you - using your own stem cells to create your own (bone and flesh) replacement organs which would not be rejected.

To a certain extent our own body already repairs/regenerates itself naturally. Given the correct stimulus things like missing limbs can regenerate (an ats'er mentioned growing replacement new teeth and roots too!).

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I am just wondering how effective paper wrenches are, and is there really a need for paper wrenchers once paper women are discovered?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
They should printed that guy a new sweater. I have one at camp I sometimes let the dogs lie on it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
If you think a wrench is crazy check this out.

edit on 21-3-2012 by Azdraik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Somamech

I was an FC in the Navy, so I studied advanced electronics (radar systems, weapons targeting, etc.) I know how to build a circuit board, and this 3D printer still impresses me.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ishum
Printer for buildings

www.shapeways.com...

Human body parts

www.organovo.com...

Food printer

web.media.mit.edu...

all of them amazing.
edit on 21-3-2012 by ishum because: (no reason given)

Humans Body Parts

Here give me that tissue well will replicate the Skin cells Cartilage & Nerves Cells and give you that new Ear
Finger Hand etc No Problem we will just Mirror & Duplicate the Part you still have Left

Well in the Near Future well... may be like within 100 years or so

We will see a aBIO 3d Printing Machine Machine Like this

Fifth Element - Leloos Reconstruction

and the Terminator ( Factory ) Cookie Cutter Bio Machine

from the Movie Terminator Salvation

Food Printer LOL

instinct Food in so many Old SCIFI Movies !

like the SCIFI Space Comedy TV Show RED DWARF ( FISH )

Red Dwarf - Cat Fish

Life Imitates Art....

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
DIY, cheap 3D printing.

reprap.org...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This has turned out to be an interesting and fascinating responses-thread.

Thank you guys/gals. I will be busy watching these recent videos.

My mind has gone far beyond a wrench-with this tech.

Now, thinking back about a thread I did on nano-tech flying machines being able to fly in formations and whatnot.
Someone posted something to the effect of "Just print off a thousand of those and you could...". Now I got what they were saying.

Continue to enjoy, please. Keep the ideas and concepts coming.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by onthedownlow
I am just wondering how effective paper wrenches are, and is there really a need for paper wrenchers once paper women are discovered?

How effective is a Titanium Wrench made from SLM

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Can i print a girlfriend now?!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
reply to post by Somamech

I was an FC in the Navy, so I studied advanced electronics (radar systems, weapons targeting, etc.) I know how to build a circuit board, and this 3D printer still impresses me.

Nice

Its good to see some real folke posting here on ATS

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by xFloggingMaryx
3D Printers are awesome. When I heard about them years and years ago... I thought they were going to be very important in the future. And I'm sure they eventually will be... but I've got to say, I'm still surprised that they are not mainstream yet.

I mean, not only are they selling 3D printers now, but you can even buy kits to MAKE a 3D printer yourself! And yet I've still never seen one in person.

They are out there, my friend built a RepRap. I have only seen it run one time, but seen many little parts he has printed from it.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
What amazes me is how it copied the working parts of the wrench and then made it work the same. How powerful is that scanner? Does it X-ray the part?

There is gonna be a bigger problem with "knock off" parts being created. I see this thing running into copyright issues big time.

It doesn't scan anything. The blueprint is downloaded into the printer and then it knows how to make the part.

This is the way the Venus project would work but on a larger scale. We could send robots to Mars and they could build our shelter while we get prepared for the trip.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Good thread.

They're already printing bones:

EXACT replicas of a man's thumb bones have been made for the first time using a 3D printer. The breakthrough paves the way for surgeons to replace damaged or diseased bones with identical copies built from the patients' own cells..

"In theory, you could do any bone," says Christian Weinand of the Insel Hospital in Berne, Switzerland, head of the team that copied his thumb bones. "Now I can put spares in my pocket if I want," he says.

www.newscientist.com...

Here's another one:

A husband-wife team of researchers at Washington State University can manufacture bones with 3D printing technology, a breakthrough idea they hope will change the future of medicine. This year, scientists have also developed 3D printing techniques that can be used to create human organs as well as the blood vessels that would connect them to the recipient and could one day solve the problem of organ donor shortages. We know what you're thinking. Pretty soon science is going to 3D-print a horrifying real-life Frankenstein that will eat all our kittens. That would be a funny movie, but the science fiction-like reality is much more promising.

www.theatlanticwire.com...

This does beg the question, if you 3D print a human, what will happen? Will it be like weird science? Could you build a female with Jennifer Lopez body 10 years ago and Halle Berry's face? It could get interesting.

edit on 25-3-2012 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

Bones. Dam.

Thank you for that info and reply. STAR.

I am please this thread took off and info got out there..... even if some claim other things. Peace

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Starred and flagged.

Wow the future is now..............great stuff!

Don't know what more to add.

I guess the replicator on Star Trek for food isn't that far off - I'll have a Chamomile tea hot and then a omelet with cheese, spinach and mushrooms.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
10 - 20 years from now they may even be printing human parts like an assembly line. Imagine, you need a heart, your doctor prints one out and the surgeon puts it in. This has so many possibilities, it's hard to imagine all the things it could be used for.
edit on 20-3-2012 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

Extrude pink slime, get a steak.
Add DNA data get a chicken.
It was the chicken thing that really got me to thinking. If I could print a live chicken, what would the egg be? Would it be a real truely natural egg?
This 3D printer thing has my mind spinning.
Need a kidney add your DNA, there is your own perfect kidney.

It does seem far off but if you would have told me 20 years ago that I would know how to turn on a computer, I would have laughed you out of the room. I held on to that circle dial telephone way, way, way, after everyone went push button because I had dreams I couldn't push the numbers in the correct order. By the time the smart phone came out I was one of the first to get one. Things change quickly.

And, la la la la la, it does seem great. But there are always those few (you know who you are) that can turn the most wonderful new inventions into something evil. Time will sort out the questions. God can sort out the evil.

All I can ask for now is that new model, upgraded so the extruder doesn't plug up as often.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join