It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing 3D Printer in Action-makes a wrench: (truly the future will change fast)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Can it replicate it self. ?? LOL. I want one.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by douggie60

Yes, RepRap's can sort of self-replicate. All you need is a RepRap, plastic, some metal rods and few inexpensive parts and you to connect the dots.

The problem is with materials at the moment. They are great for prototyping, but a plastic wrench isn't nearly as useful as a cast metal one.

What's really interesting to me is the prospect of using a larger scale setup to "print" concrete.

edit on 21-3-2012 by AnAlienAmongUs because: Added MIT Concrete vid

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Here's one last video that I think is particularly cool. It's a one off printer apparently, I still don't quite understand how it works, but it's fun to watch.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by Trueman
Why members keep posting?
Why mods are not closing this thread?
What's this mess?

Because its more content on the ATS site.
Its more activity, more views of advertisements.

There is no penalty for creating duplicate threads.

Try it yourself. Go create a new thread, citing this exact same youtube video with "OMG go look at this amazing video!!"
You wont be banned, warned or penalised in any way at all.

Conversely, anyone who tells you another thread already exists *will* be in danger of being banned.

You got that right. No wonder why "Top Members" are disappearing here. Good threads for ATS are like organic crops for Monsanto.

Also, a good practice in ATS was to ask the mods to close your own thread as soon you find out it's been posted already. So, blame on members hungry of flags and stars too.

This post has a big chance to be deleted right ?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
thanks for posting

it reminds me of the first time i was exposed to a 3d printer

watching Jurassic Park III Replication of the Raptor voice resonator i

Jurassic Park 3 Velociraptor Special Effects Prop

Speaking of Dinosuars

Check this Out ! just Recently too ! 3d Printing ! Dinosaur Bones for their Movement

Scientists To Print Robotic Dinos From Bone Scans
February 24, 2012 in
www.geekologie.com...

The researchers, from Philadelphia's Drexel University, are using 3D printing to create dino-bones and then attaching artificial muscles and tendons to create dinosaur robots.

Because universities and museums generally frown on folks who want to experiment on actual fossilised bones, Lacovara used the printed bones to test out theories of how dinosaurs moved and stood and did the wild thing and other things boffins like to know.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

I was thinking about a mother cube (like a motherboard, but one more dimension) but I think there would be massive heat issues...

NOT if it wrote the copper piping for water cooling all through the cube. and the pumps as well? Anyway if one of these machines can make a CV joint for a car, ball bearings and all, THEN ill be impressed. until then i will consider it a fancy drop-forge machine.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Man that is AWESOME

I want one so bad now, I bet they will cost more then a spankin new SUV?

I was thinking could they make a replica of Megan Fox?

Another great thing would be to replicate firearms? Make a copy of my AR15

DO WANT
edit on 21-3-2012 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by gunaire
I bet the Chinese are drooling. Think of what this could do for mass production.

No, the opposite. This technology could eventually disrupt the current business model and undercut the developing world. In a world of 'replicators' creativity and IPR enforcement becomes the most valuable commodity. A cheap labour force becomes irrelevant when the product comes out a machine at the touch of button and the machine itself could be anywhere on the globe.

At the moment it can't do things like electronics but all the mass produced plastic crap could be made locally instead of in a 'low cost country'.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
If these are several of the technologies that are available to the "general public" can you imagine what the government and the hidden PTB have (covertly) at their disposal?

Betcha' it's mind blowing !!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

I agree only on the commercial side of things though, on the military side though, it will be a HUGE change to the way ammo and weapons are produced.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I had vaguely heard of 3d printers, but I had not imagined them being this replicator machine. WOWOWOWOW.
I saw someone mentioned graphene...... So basically you can make anything you want out of the most amazing new supermetal ever. Graphene is already pretty cheap, and they're saying it's just gonna keep getting cheaper. I don't think we're going to have to wait very long before these are common. People are going to design so much amazing stuff, and it'll be so easy to download the design and print it out.
I've been sitting here just shaking my head in amazement for the last 15 minutes.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
imagine the future an what this machine could be capable of..atm it can copy toys, wrenches ect whats to say down the track maybie people? living things? kindve like a clone of some sort.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ozzeetruth

Living things not until you can print atomic arrangements - then it might as well function as a teleporter... But that is ridiculous for the foreseeable future. I have seen a heart/kidney cartilage being printed, then stem cells get sprayed on - and BANG - replacement organs!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I've seen dolls made with a 3D printer (not play line dolls,but really expensive collectors items around $1000+ each) and they're are just awesome, can't wait to see what else can be made, the possibilities are endless

edit on 21-3-2012 by Urbanshadow because: Laptop being iffy...O_o

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

First of all your probably going to have to pay to print or some #, 2nd something like this in an industry could, no I mean will destroy hundreds of thousands of jobs, not to say its value to society is indemnible! 3rd:people will be able to create clones of themselves, possibly having to grow internal organs separately, and transplant their brains into the new body! As long as technology changes, the future changes, then Divine Proportion will prevail, It's how we live, so soon everything will be on one device and heck we might not even need homes, just gathering centers!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pshea38

On Topic: Fantastic technology. Imagine what is hidden!
I am still back in the 90's with my 1D printer, It will probably be a while before I can
afford a 2D equivalent, and by the time I look at purchasing a 3D version, they will
probably have moved on to a 7D printer, or something.

I am forever destined to be behind the times (and dimensions), I guess.
Bollocks!

That's me, I still don't even have a hi-def TV. This technology is amazing, I'm still finding it hard to believe that it has been around for 10+ years as a lot of members claim?? Makes me really wonder what else is out there that I've missed.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

..I can't count how many times when I was a kid hearing about science fiction where we would one day buy things online (which was a new invention, long before even Amazon!) and just print it at home.

This ... this is astounding.. I can't remember the last time I was blown away by something before, it's science fiction in real form!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

This is old. I and many others saw the this 2 years ago............

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This has been posted a hundred times

Still amazing though.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
You know how expensive "normal" printer cartridges are... now imagine how expensive the material cartridges most likely will be...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join