It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
5 minutes with google, turns up multiple threads on this very topic on ats already, and ACLU is already handling a number of cases over this.

However, I seem to recall that there is legal precedent that a government agency demanding your facebook login credentials is legally valid. I can't quote the exact precedent, because google isn't being cooperative, but as I remember, it was a law case with the Maryland Department of Corrections was involved in a case vs one of their prisoners. The courts said that the department of corrections did have the right to demand logins off their prisoners.

As I cannot find the source, I may be misremembering, so take that as you will.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris
5 minutes with google, turns up multiple threads on this very topic on ats already, and ACLU is already handling a number of cases over this.

However, I seem to recall that there is legal precedent that a government agency demanding your facebook login credentials is legally valid. I can't quote the exact precedent, because google isn't being cooperative, but as I remember, it was a law case with the Maryland Department of Corrections was involved in a case vs one of their prisoners. The courts said that the department of corrections did have the right to demand logins off their prisoners.

As I cannot find the source, I may be misremembering, so take that as you will.

The key word is prisoners. Not potential employee.

This is still invasion of privacy for law-abiding citizens that choose to keep their profiles private and for family and close friends only.

-TS

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Then why not just ask for a friend request? And why would they need the password just to look at what they are posting? They should not need to see the site from your side of the fence, so to speak.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DivineFem

Then why not just ask for a friend request? And why would they need the password just to look at what they are posting? They should not need to see the site from your side of the fence, so to speak.

Exactly!
Where does this company, or any for that matter, get off asking permission to snoop?
That's what I want to know: Why do they want this information?

What good will it do them?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Many police forces in Canada ask for your facebook password when you apply and they actually check your private messages, pictures, as well as your posts...

It's been done for a few years now... don't want to hand it over? sorry, we found someone else for the job...

I don't see a problem with that.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

Originally posted by Magnum007
I don't see a problem with that.

If that were the only context for this kind of requirement, then perhaps not.

But even there, how far can/should it go? Hand over your personal phone? Home inspection? How about the requirement to take a monthly pregnancy test?

When this kind of intrusion enters the realm of the commercial world and becomes ubiquitous enough, do the same considerations apply to other jobs? Retail sales? Food service work? Etc...?

When do we lose the distinction between simple employment and a return to some iteration of indentured servitude?

Some labor practices are simply not in the commercial interest of the country.

IMHO, I think this is one of them.

edit on 20-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

First allow me to cite source
www.facebook.com...

Now allow me to quote section 4 , line 8

You will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.

Go ahead and provide that info

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Sadly, Ive seen this as a long time coming but it can be stopped. Employees already snoop before and after being employed at non private accounts. If employees want to treat people with such disrespect well then they don't deserve to have people quality working for them. If this happens to you reject it at all costs. Otherwise it will become another norm and more will suffer from it. Though, the non quality people have posed a lot of corruption we see.
edit on 20-3-2012 by dreamingawake because: more

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dirttrck

Originally posted by dirttrck
First allow me to cite source
www.facebook.com...

Now allow me to quote section 4 , line 8

You will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.

Go ahead and provide that info

Love this post.

It immediately had me thinking of a possible legal claim or defense along the lines of inducement to breach a contract.

Sadly, the elements don't precisely fit in that it would require FB to sue the employer for such requests...and I'm quite certain that will never happen.

edit on 20-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
UPDATE:

Facebook to users: Don’t give your boss your password

Facebook privacy chief Erin Egan has issued a stern statement regarding employers and prospective employers who ask individuals for their Facebook passwords. Egan cites a “distressing increase” in reports of individuals being asked to turn over their passwords or other Facebook account information to bosses, prospective employees and others.

Addressing users of the social networking site, Egan wrote, “This practice undermines the privacy expectations and the security of both the user and the user’s friends,” and added, “If you are a Facebook user, you should never have to share your password, let anyone access your account, or do anything that might jeopardize the security of your account or violate the privacy of your friends.”

Egan held out the possibility of Facebook taking legal action against organizations and individuals who attempt to coerce users into forfeiting their private information.

Well, look at that!

edit on 25-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I agree. They will not believe you or think you odd for sure.

Myself, I do not have a FB, twitter, or myspace or anything like that.

I do not understand the password thing though. I can understand to a point them asking that you friend them but asking for your password makes no sense. They do not need to have access to an account in that manner. Not sure how FB works but I assume that friends of a user can see what they put online. Again though I have no idea how FB works so I might be wrong there.

I will never have a FB or anything like that. If a job requires that I do I guess I will not be working at said job.

Raist

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

Myself, I do not have a FB, twitter, or myspace or anything like that.

Wow!
You too?

The loner in me desires not to do social media.
I suppose that's reason enough not to hire me.

THE INTERVIEW:
"No sir, I do not have a social media account"
Reply: "Sorry, you are not normal and we have no position available for you at Serfco Industries."
edit on 25-3-2012 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2012 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

ATS and a car forum is about as social media as I get. I guess that would make it worse.

"Nope, no FB for me, but I am a member of a conspiracy forum."
"...............Ummmm the position has been filled......"

Raist

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
UPDATE:

Facebook to users: Don’t give your boss your password

Facebook privacy chief Erin Egan has issued a stern statement regarding employers and prospective employers who ask individuals for their Facebook passwords. Egan cites a “distressing increase” in reports of individuals being asked to turn over their passwords or other Facebook account information to bosses, prospective employees and others.

Addressing users of the social networking site, Egan wrote, “This practice undermines the privacy expectations and the security of both the user and the user’s friends,” and added, “If you are a Facebook user, you should never have to share your password, let anyone access your account, or do anything that might jeopardize the security of your account or violate the privacy of your friends.”

Egan held out the possibility of Facebook taking legal action against organizations and individuals who attempt to coerce users into forfeiting their private information.

Well, look at that!

edit on 25-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

I have been hearing the reports too, that facebook may try to sue the employers, but I find the whole idea ludicrous.

Facebook has no legal standing to sue the employers only their customers, since the employers haven't ever signed any terms of service contracts with facebook, nor have legally submitted themselves to Facebook's policies.

Second, the employers aren't really "forcing" anyone to do anything; they simply are asking for the passwords and if the people don't want to cough them up they don't have to, they also don't get the job. That is actually freedom, it's a little rough sometimes but that is the way it works. Of course I am sure corrupt politicians and others will warp and twist the law and gladly steal more of the peoples freedoms, to stick their nose in the issue eventually. The road to totalitarianism is often paved with good intentions.

The truth is in a free nation, there already is a remedy for this problem, and that is if noone gives the companies their password and they can't fill the jobs, eventually the companies will stop asking for the password as a requirement.

I also find it disingenuous when facebook; a company that is becoming well known for eroding peoples privacy is now standing up defending peoples privacy when it's suddenly their bottom line at risk.

edit on 25-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typos

edit on 25-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

top topics

<< 1   >>

join