It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords

'It's akin to requiring someone's house keys'

When Justin Bassett interviewed for a new job, he expected the usual questions about experience and references. So he was astonished when the interviewer asked for something else: his Facebook username and password.

Bassett, a New York City statistician, had just finished answering a few character questions when the interviewer turned to her computer to search for his Facebook page. But she couldn't see his private profile. She turned back and asked him to hand over his login information.

Bassett refused and withdrew his application, saying he didn't want to work for a company that would seek such personal information. But as the job market steadily improves, other job candidates are confronting the same question from prospective employers, and some of them cannot afford to say no.

The article continues:

Since the rise of social networking, it has become common for managers to review publically available Facebook profiles, Twitter accounts and other sites to learn more about job candidates. But many users, especially on Facebook, have their profiles set to private, making them available only to selected people or certain networks.

Companies that don't ask for passwords have taken other steps — such as asking applicants to friend human resource managers or to log in to a company computer during an interview. Once employed, some workers have been required to sign non-disparagement agreements that ban them from talking negatively about an employer on social media.

Brave new world...

While searching for this topic, I found the following thread concerning this practice in the government realm:

Gov't employer asks man for Facebook login during job interview

It's interesting to me how many posters in that thread said "if you don't like the practice, don't seek a government job."

Well, I guess the issue isn't quite that simple.

edit on 20-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Employers should have the right to see whatever you put in the public domain.

This is a fine demonstration of your level of judgement, or lack thereof.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Originally posted by babybunnies

Not quite, genius.

If the profile settings are set to private, that is no different than closing the door to your home. Should employers have a right to look there as well?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
...and i presume if you say you dont have a facebook account, you are either lying or a strange weirdo...

not cool

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

This is the most absurd comment I have ever read.

Facebook is not the “Public Domain.”

If it were, there would be no need for passwords, security settings, etc. Everyone would have access to everyone’s profile.

This is, in my opinion, the same as asking for admittance on sexual orientation, religion, etc., to qualify for a job.

It is no employers right to ask for your Facebook information, or any other social networking sight.

Just to prove your point: why don’t you give us all your username and password to your Facebook account? After all it should be public domain, right?

Practice what you preach. Or better yet, do better critical thinking.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I suppose the one upside to this kind of intrusion is that more and more people will simply attempt to give up working for the "man" and become self-employed.

Of course, that strategy will most likely not work for most...

Those who think this practice makes good public policy deserve the hell hole we are creating for ourselves.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This should be illegal. SOMEONE will jump on this at some point. ACLU?
It's just itch'n for a big public lawsuit. Betchya a box of donuts there will be lawsuits ...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Oh god yesss, just strip away my privacy oh god I love it so much. Take away all my freedom AHHHH IT FEELS SO GOOD.

I swear, people like you are either completely wacked in the head or paid to troll like this.

I have a facebook, just so I can stay in touch with friends - but I'm completely untraceable unless you've got some serious connections in the security industry.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
If I was asked for this info on a job interview I would say I don't have any social network account.

What's next, employers asking to see your mobile phone messages? Or that you empty your pockets? Check your underwear?

Tell 'em to get stuffed.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

And this post is a stunning example of a clear cut lack of intelligence.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

If you have public information, employers should be able to use that against you.. I don't see that as a problem.

But if your profile on a social media site is private.. I don't think employers have any right at all to either demand you "friend" them or give you your password. That is so creepy.. weird.. asinine and insulting I can't even comprehend it.

But the real question is..... while these actions are clearly unethical .. should they be illegal? Personally I view it as a form of discrimination .. if you demand a certain level of privacy you are barred from employment.. not cool.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Illegal? Perhaps...perhaps not.

The problem with these kinds of issues is that the line should clearly be drawn somewhere. No line is simply unworkable. As a poster mentioned above, should an employer make your employment contingent upon their access to your personal mobile phone? Mail? Etc...

This is not a good trend and as a matter of public policy discourages commerce, if allowed to be commonplace.

The internet (or aspects of it) and other technology is quickly becoming a burden that in many instances outweighs the benefits.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Absolutely agree.

If i want to dress up like a goth on weekends and go clubbing till 6am, thats my business and it does not affect my job in anyway, yet if they see that by weekday job wont be there for me in the first place because of their individual prejudice.

And that stinks, look at my job record to see if im a good employee, not on weather im a nice guy out of work time.

Stupid invasion of privacy, suckers will just like sheep do it anyway because they want the job and might set a president for the job market in the future.

edit on 20-3-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
This should be illegal. SOMEONE will jump on this at some point. ACLU?
It's just itch'n for a big public lawsuit. Betchya a box of donuts there will be lawsuits ...

I totally agree. The ACLU loves to do cases like this. If any of my potential employers asked me to turn in login info for a social media site, I'd tell them that it's private, and then tell them to get bent. Then I would proceed to the ACLU, file a complaint and retire at 28.

In all seriousness, they have no right to have access to these types of things, contrary to what a poster above has said. If it's private, it isn't public domain.

-TS
edit on 20-3-2012 by truthseeker1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Employers are completely out of hand today...especially now that job seekers are being forced to look for jobs online. Many times, you apply for a job now and aren't even given the courtesy of knowing the name of the damn company you're applying to. Not only do they want a cover letter, a resume, AND an application, many are requiring you to let them run a credit check. It's b.s. More employers will try to pull this stunt by asking for your Facebook password or requiring you to "friend" them. They won't stop doing it until some organization files a law suit to stop it. I'm sure there are enough people out there who will give their password if they are desperate for a job or just too spineless to say no. Anyone who is asked for such a thing should extend their middle finger to that employer and walk out the door.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I suppose the one upside to this kind of intrusion is that more and more people will simply attempt to give up working for the "man" and become self-employed.

Of course, that strategy will most likely not work for most...

Those who think this practice makes good public policy deserve the hell hole we are creating for ourselves.

A star for you!! Only slaves work for the man.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
As many people as I see who work more on their "fakebook" page than their actual WORK...
It is pretty disgusting when I go to buy something and my salesman is updating his "status".
Wait in line for 15 minutes, just to get another pause when the chime rings on his iphone.
It's those kind of workers I fire.

But I digress...
This is no surprise, as most companies do background checks, references, etc.
But to give away personal passwords for anything is a stupid thing to do.
Even for a job, why don't they ask, "What's you email password too?"

Some companies push too far.

Maybe if we knew the reason these companies need/want this info...
There has to be a good reason besides company policy.

I look at it this way, if you want privacy....don't use social networks.
Anyone can find out everything about you just by searching...especially if you socially network.

No wonder people go missing all the time...
At least try and make it harder for them!

(and no I don't have a fakebook...nor will I ever)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
An employer has every right to see your public profile because that demonstrates how you show yourself publicly. But asking for your username and password to see what you're up to privately is ridiculous, Expect a whole bunch of lawsuits coming from the ACLU.

But this belabors a bigger point: Facebook has become the wet dream of conspiracy theorists. Forget the government--there's a private company run by a 20-something kid that is becoming the largest warehouse of personal information on the planet.

Ditch Facebook and you avoid all these problems.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'd give them my password, user ID.

Then I'd ask them to feed my fish (I'm bad about that) as I tear the application into confetti.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Well how about you hand over your log in name and password for this site then. If you so believe in your statement. See if you like that. Better yet what if it gets to the point of were they ask for you login name and password for your home personal computer. I can tell you that is exactly where this will go. Hello "Minority report".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join