It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**BREAKING** Chevron executives barred from leaving Brazil over spill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
worldnews.msnbc.msn.com...

Seventeen executives from Chevron and Transocean have been barred from leaving Brazil pending criminal charges related to a high-profile oil spill last November. A federal judge in Rio de Janeiro state granted a request from prosecutors who are pressing for charges against both firms, a spokesman for prosecutor Eduardo Oliveira said in a phone interview. George Buck, who heads Chevron's Brazil unit, and the other 16 executives must turn in their passports to the police within 24 hours, the spokesman said.

We have all seen the BP spill and how no one is held accountable and that everyone is shielded by their lawyers. That is the double edged sword in America. If you have enough money you can use the laws on the books and lawyer up. Not so much in Brazil where these executives are being held to answer for their pollution of the seas. Excellent

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This is an interesting turn of events. I'll have to read the article, but thanks for bringing it up.

Ok read it. So this spill may not have anything to do with the Frade thing and is about the size of natural ones that led them to know their was oil in them thar waters.

I smell political reasons behind this, but considering "big oil" is seen as evil, people will be all up in arms on this.
edit on 18-3-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Great to hear about this kind of action. This has to be done at every opportunity. Suddenly we'll find decision makers making sensible instead of greedy decisions when they know they're going to be held accountable.

I'm not trying to hijack your excellent thread but I want to hold those responsible accountable before the disaster.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I have to agree with the other posts.

It is time people accept responsibility for their actions. Everyone is sooooo worried about making the all mighty dollar they don't care who or what they destroy along the way.

Politically motivated or not I think it's time we all start playing by the same rules!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

never heard of a natural "spill", care to elaborate?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Brazil is no different
than any other country
when it comes to corruption.

They just want to make
sure the Chev Exec's don't
split before they get their cut

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tired
reply to post by calnorak

never heard of a natural "spill", care to elaborate?

OK so my wording may be off, however if you read the article here is a quote from the msnbc source:

"Until there is some proof, there is a good chance that this leak is a natural occurrence, not something to do with Chevron," he said. "Leaks of this size are common, and are how people realized there was oil in the area in the first place."'

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
While I applaud accountability I do know oil execs and they are not all the boogy monster. In fact many of these executives take it very hard when there is an accident or spill. You have to remember a company is an organism with many parts and while you can mitigate risk you will never have 0 risk. Accountability should require the company to fit the cost for any damage it incurs.
The executives being held accountable while sitting in the big boy chair don't necessarily control every thing on the ground with an IRON fist.
This is something I have come to understand in the last few years. I am not excusing negligence just offering a different angled perspective.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender
Brazil is no different
than any other country

They just want to make

This. Chevron probably didn't pay up what the brazilian authorities asked for. And when I say "pay up" I really mean wire transfers to their personal accounts in the Caymman Islands. Brazil is probably the slimiest, most disgustingly corrupt place in the Universe. I should know, I live in this mudhole.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

Its ok, at this point even msnbc isn't placing blame directly (only indirectly by briefly mentioning it at the end of the article).

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The execs will say they had nothing to do with the issue: corporations were created to insulate them from any wrong doing. The idea is that everything is the company's fault and the company is a fiction, ergo that is no one person responsible, ergo they can leave.

This of course is the problem with corporations, should Brazil hold these men and try them, a new precedent could be set. Truthfully, involvement might be the threshold, all Chevron employees are responsible because they all benefit from the money taken in, so all should be responsible for the failures too.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by craziedaze
I have to agree with the other posts.

It is time people accept responsibility for their actions. Everyone is sooooo worried about making the all mighty dollar they don't care who or what they destroy along the way.

Politically motivated or not I think it's time we all start playing by the same rules!

Ah..but they do care. They calculate destruction of property and life right into their model. It is just sometimes the calculations are off and the damage is greater than the cost analysis. But they also build that into the model..payoff.. payoff... payoff..If that doesn't work..find a low level nobody to be the scapegoat.

Peace

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Sounds like kidnapping, but then again, Brazil isn't too big on due process of law.

Second.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Spoonbender and Deny777 are right. I know that because i also live here.

Brazil is one of the most corrupted places in the world. While i think it's good to make Chrevon "learn a lesson", these executives are being held here probably because our "leaders" want their share of the business.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
If Brazil follows Maritime Regulations closely, all parties involved, from the Ships Owners, to the Charterers, can be proscuted.

Regulations were changed a few years back so that all parties involved can be charged, from acts like Oil Spills, to illegally dumping ballast.

Will be interesting to see what happens though.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deny777

Originally posted by spoonbender
Brazil is no different
than any other country

They just want to make

This. Chevron probably didn't pay up what the brazilian authorities asked for. And when I say "pay up" I really mean wire transfers to their personal accounts in the Caymman Islands. Brazil is probably the slimiest, most disgustingly corrupt place in the Universe. I should know, I live in this mudhole.

You guys are never happy with anything. Why does the Brazilian government must be corrupt simply for doing what's is right?

The point is, they did # in a country it's not theirs, so they must be held accountable following that countries laws period.

Last time in a similar case a American Pilot collided with a Brazilian Aircraft with hundreds of civilians on it, everybody died except the ones which were on the American aircraft. The pilot and remaining US crew simply bailed leaving the country to never return or even face their charges. It was a crime since he was flying with it's transponder turned off, way off course and hundred plus have payed with their lives.

Why the government should let such thing repeat?

Corrupted or not I like the attitude of the judge. At least it puts companies like Chevron on the spotlight and shows that there are consequences when you do # while playing in someone else's territory.

Corruption? Show me one country that has no corruption and I will prove to you that the sun is in fact black.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
There is always a bigger fish in the sea. While there is no evidence that the Brazalian government wants a cut of the oil money, this is great news. These seas are a great source of food for our generation. Water covers 70% of the earth. We can only have so much farmland. Where will we get good protein in our diets besides water?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Something seems fishy here...

17 exces barred from leaving Brazil?

The other day I saw a post that the Elite are retreating from public before our eyes. Could this be another excuse for the rich and powerful to stay out of the US?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thomas_

Here's the thing, like any other place in the world, there *are* more than a few decent people in Brazil. But most of the one who want positions in the government are probably among the worst scum to ever crawl the surface of the planet, lots of judges included. That said, occasionally an honest judge stands for what's right and rules sentences like the one the Chevron executives faced. If that's the case, that judge is often silenced with money or bullets, lots of them.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Wow!

This is what it looks like when a Government is not owned by corporations!

For all it's shortcomings -- it looks like Brazil at least can hold Oil companies to account.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join