It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Rid Of The Drop Down Ad On The Home Page !!!!! Plz.. Thx You !!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
as the titles states..the 'crest' ad is completely a turn off ..

but, i'm just a member.. WT* do i know..

edit on 3/17/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--All Caps

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Just saying...

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
Just saying...

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

exactly.. but, i do appreciate the others members input as well..I just wish the board members of this corp would use a TAD more discretion on the layout of the website ..............

ESPECIALLY when it comes to it's members. i.e. ......when is enough enough.. ? I would donate to this website if i had the means to do so.. if it meant to keep the ads off the site to those who are not a member...kinda like guild hosting sites do.. they they do a pretty damm good job at it .. not sure why ATS can't do the same thing..

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Using ad blockers violates the Terms & Conditions of ATS.

Members found to be using them, or suggesting the option to others may lead to immediate account termination.

Ads are the means by which ATS provides this venue for members. Putting up with a few annoying ads every now and then is pretty good trade off for being able to enjoy this place, free of charge.

It's really a 1st world problem.

~Tenth
ATS Moderator

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I would also donate to ATS if it meant cutting back on the ads a bit. Some of them are just down-right annoying, and when they impede on the function of the website it has gone too far. Plus, I love ATS.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectBlue

Having members provide donations or to pay for ATS is against the ATS Business moto and against what the owners of ATS want to have for this place.

SkepticOverlord has said on many occassions that he along with the other owners are utterly dis-interested in making anybody pay for the content that is on ATS.

After all it's member generated, and it would be silly to charge those members for access to their own content.

Furthermore, the ammount of money required to keep this place up and running is quite a lot, considering the equipment costs and various other companies that ATS no doubt employs in order to keep this place running smoothly.

Donations alone would never cover the costs. So then you'd have paid membership & ads; that's a lose lose.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree, and it's amazing to me that ATS can remain running at all by ad power alone. The sheer volume and not just daily, but surge capacity when a MAJOR story breaks and the great masses descend must be very costly indeed.

A few ads have been obnoxious.....like that tank game ad a few months ago. Grr.. Please no more ads that EVER activate sound without asking.
I digress though....... I'm just happy as heck to have a service at this level which doesn't have a business model that includes money from my pocket.

I too would donate, by the way. I do to a few sites I use on a daily basis....even if it isn't much. If they ever change their mind about unsolicited donation options, I think they may be surprised at the response. Regardless of whether credit were publicly noted or anything were given for the donation, I think the numbers would be higher than some think.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't think that member would not contribute, I'm sure we'd get very much in the ammount of money that could provide, but we could not do it with Subscriptions and donations alone.

Thanks for your understanding Wrabbit

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I would simply encourage members to use the recent posts page as an 'entry point' if they're concerned about ads.

A mere banner and a few 'sidebar ads', yet .. and still .. the most up-to-date and current 'pulse' of what's happening on the boards.

Yes ... there may be the occasional rollover that sneaks its way through the various ad networks, but ... on the whole, and when logged in as a member, you really shouldn't be 'seeing' much more than the Content itself. (?)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I truly dislike the ads when they 'Float' out into the middle of the screen, obstructing the topics. This seems to happen weekly.

I also dislike the fact that the new topics page has two enlarged, and highlighted topics. Who chooses what goes there?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Oh and I also strongly dislike ATS recap being given the front page, it's lame. Is basically making fun of articles and posts on ATS, making it look ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

the content may be user generated but once posted it becomes property of ATS so it's no longer the users content . . . just saying

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I just got an in-your-face Voice Five pop up that appeared just as I was about to click on on thread on the New Topics page. Before that there was a Cruise adverstisement that hid the real-time hot titled Threads so that I couldn't read the headlines in their entirety and definitetly couldn't click on them without opening up this ad.

I mean, come on! Its one thing to put up with these advertisements to enjoy being able to be a part of ATS but there should be guidelines to just how intrusive they are when they try to "set you up" to click on them.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Just saying...

yeeeaaahhh, the ads put on here could be a little better than a real annoying, obnoxious, drop down ad, I see where the OP is coming from. I know you're just trying to be a kiss @SS to the ATS staff, and all, so c'mon.
just saying...

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by lurker007

the content may be user generated but once posted it becomes property of ATS so it's no longer the users content . . . just saying

sarcasm at its finest yet again on ATS!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

So you subtracted 500 ATS Points for posting a link to ad blocking plugin? LOL

Can I ask what are ATS Poiints? And why would I care if I have a negative balance? Also you can subtract 10,000 stars and 22,000 flags while you're at it. I know the real reason why ATS implemented the pointless point system, its psychology 101 but that's a topic that deserves its own thread.

On Topic Suggestion: If ATS doesn't want people to block their ads maybe they should implement a paid section. Something like if I pay $50 a year then I won't have to be subjected to annoying ads and the free members can suffer. Even though I don't see ads right now anyway I would still pay up to a $100 a year just because I like 10% of the info presented on this site and would like to do my part in supporting it.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter

Just saying...

yeeeaaahhh, the ads put on here could be a little better than a real annoying, obnoxious, drop down ad, I see where the OP is coming from. I know you're just trying to be a kiss @SS to the ATS staff, and all, so c'mon.
just saying...

I dont kiss anyones anything, the above response was to the two posters that suggested using add blockers not to the OP. get your facts straight, or not but if not, then keep your trap shut.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join