It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18-year-old Tampa girl gets three DUIs in less than three weeks.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MarlboroRedCowgirl

I think my problem as a co-dependent is that I never had children, and now that I have to deal with one on a daily basis, I just have to spoil her.
If that make me ruthless, so be it.
Least my niece doesn't drive. Thank gawd. I can just see how many accidents she'd be having in a day, playing bumper cars.
edit on 17-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
My old guitar player got 2 DUI's in under a week if I recall correctly. I forget how he got the first one, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't even drunk on the second one, but high, lol. I remember he said on the second one he drove for a couple hundred feet and was literally in his driveway when the cop showed up.

Like I said, I forget the first one, but I remember it being equally bull#. Some technicality like him being in the front seat with the keys in but not driving or something like that.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnySasaki

That does happen. Had a buddy that was sleeping in his car in the bar parkinglot and got nailed for a DWI. He was doing the right thing by trying to sleep it off and got busted.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by JohnnySasaki

That does happen. Had a buddy that was sleeping in his car in the bar parkinglot and got nailed for a DWI. He was doing the right thing by trying to sleep it off and got busted.
Yeah I've heard of that before they will nail you for it. I drink when I go fishing. If I've had too much I'll sleep in the passanger seat.

My buddy carries a breathalizer in his glovebox. He drinks and drives but only if he's under the limit. His sister is a cop and recomended he get one.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Thats true. Even if the car is parked, if there are keys in the ignition and you are high/drunk=DUI.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

On one hand, I think that is nuts! On the other hand, some people are so stupid they force such things on the rest of us.

My cousin was riding his motorcycle, minding his own business. He got tboned by a drunk, who ran a redlight. That was a major factor in my young life, it was my favorite cousin, used to give me rides on his bike. That is why I have never, and never will drive after even having one beer. I couldn't imagine causing that kind of pain to anyone.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarlboroRedCowgirl

Wow. Just, wow. This is who we would call a winner. Her first two arrests happened within two days, and the third "culminated with her crashing in to the back of a brand new car that had only been on the road a couple of weeks."

Makes you wonder what the parents are thinking? How on earth do you let your daughter get back on the road with two DUI charges pending? Negligence comes in many forms. And apparently shes free on $3000 bond, wonder if she'll be driving to her court date?

DUI's happen, its unfortunate in every case. For some it's a one time mistake and causes no property damage or bodily injury. But this girl? Ticking time bomb. I don't know the Florida law, but in California she would never see the laminated cover of a drivers licence for the rest of her life.

Is there a link to a news story or any kind of source info? I have several questions but I am hoping a source might be able to answer, but on teh surface, this seems insane.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

i posted the link about half way down the first page, here it is again. article

As to the guy who drives with a Breathalyzer? Smart.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If she is only doing weed, I do not see a problem. It probably makes her more careful.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I was due to get nailed many years ago but I never did get caught,
As far as sleeping goes in your vehicle you must make sure you do not have the keys anywhere near you.
Throw them suckers in the ditch and throw them as far as you can, therefor you do not have care and control of the said vehicle.

As far as the girl goes here in the OP she had it coming and there is no lawyer in this world whom is going to get her off on a sweet discharge.

The best defense against the cops is to just chuck the keys and get the hell away from your vehicle and as fast as you can too.

In this day and age I never and I mean never move my truck outside of my property if I have had more than one beer.

Here in Ontario now one beer can get you a 12 hour suspension and after that it gets real nasty for sure.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

reply to post by MrWendal

i posted the link about half way down the first page, here it is again. article

As to the guy who drives with a Breathalyzer? Smart.

Ok this makes some sense then...

If I were a betting man... I would suggest that her accident was alcohol related, but her previous two "DUI" charges were probably the result of some stupid traffic violation and she was either smoking in her car or they found weed in the car.

Charging potheads with DUI is very misleading. You never hear of anyone smoking pot and crashing into a bus full of kids... the reason why you don't hear about it is because it doesn't happen.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Sounds like someone needs rehabilitation. Or you could just throw her in jail where she won't get help, and possibly have to resort to doing far worse things to survive in the system. All the while making taxpayers pay the bill.

These people are sick. You don't throw people in jail for being sick. Alcoholism is a disease, and a treatable one at that. Its just easier to lock them up and be done with it.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal.

If I were a betting man... I would suggest that her accident was alcohol related, but her previous two "DUI" charges were probably the result of some stupid traffic violation and she was either smoking in her car or they found weed in the car.

Charging potheads with DUI is very misleading. You never hear of anyone smoking pot and crashing into a bus full of kids... the reason why you don't hear about it is because it doesn't happen.

I agree with you, I think it would take alot more than simply marijuana to cause a high-speed accident that totaled a car.

I have actually read articles that state that marijuana actually improved driving...I'm certainly not saying that I condone that behavior (I don't,) but people have been curious enough to look into it and actually fund a study on it. I really would like them to release this girls tox-results and she what she was really on instead of what she claimed to be on.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal.

I agree with you, I think it would take alot more than simply marijuana to cause a high-speed accident that totaled a car.

I have actually read articles that state that marijuana actually improved driving...I'm certainly not saying that I condone that behavior (I don't,) but people have been curious enough to look into it and actually fund a study on it. I really would like them to release this girls tox-results and she what she was really on instead of what she claimed to be on.

There was some a comedian on the tv not too long ago that said he drove better drunk. His logic was pretty sound. You don't speed, your hands are at 10 and 2 o'clock, and you are always checking all your mirrors and blind spots.

Not saying I condone it, but there are many different levels of being drunk. Of course if you are too wasted to stand up straight, you should not be driving. If you do its your own damn fault, and the fault of anyone else around you to let you drive in that state.

Then again I just don't see the point of drinking alcohol anymore. Nothing but problems and liver damage.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Well smoking weed, twice, she incurred no accidents. Drinking, once, she definitely crashed. What does that say?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Throw her into the slammer and she'd sober up. Community work will not do cos she needs something to jolt her to her senses. Obviously the earlier charges had no effect on her so something drastic should be considered. That is the trouble with spoiled brats. Send her to N Korea so she can feed on rats for a change.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
As a fully recovered addict (the "once an addict always an addict", recovering addict after 40 years bit is nothing but an idea instilled to keep one in the "addict" mindset) I would be willing to bet just about anything that this girl's problem is PHARMACEUTICAL narcotics.....opiates....possibly benzodiazepines.....
Her living in Florida makes this fairly apparent to me....(in south-west Virginia it is a well known fact that one can travel to Florida to visit the "pill-mill" docs and make a small fortune when they return with the pills....and considering one can get well over $100 EACH for some pills)

The article doesn't say she is doing narcotics LIKE marijuana....it says: "Most of what she's doing is narcotics, she's smoking marijuana." (I don't include marijuana in what I personally call "narcotics"...but I guess that is the "official" stance.....regardless, it never says ONLY marijuana)
Marijuana may cause the occasional car wreck......certain people don't handle the "high" as well and they tend to get a bit goofy....they get pulled over and catch a DUI (in VA it is DUID in that case)......but it doesn't cause one to get "caught up" 3 times in such a short amount of time.....now, those who are using opiates/benzos........it WILL cause such a thing.....time and time again....Once one is "using" those drugs things happen (I don't want to go into detail as I could speak on that all day....don't have the time or motivation really)

Just wanted to inject that into this conversation.....

Pharmaceutical narcotics are a growing problem (have been a HORRIBLE problem in my area for years now but it seems to be "spreading", as many knew it would) that are not spoke of enough......

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Also.....you WILL NOT cure these addicts (especially those using opiates/benzos) by stuffing them in jail. It only adds to the problem simply because they just develop more "contacts" in the jails and prisons.....they get out and while they may "stay straight" and "do good" for a while, those "contacts" will appear at some point and all will "go to hell" all over again......seen it over and over and over.....(lived it a few times as well, though I never went to jail/prison.....the "rehabs" are just as bad)

How do we help these addicts?
That I really don't have an answer for.....I see the problem....know MANY of this type addict......
I am not sure there is "help for" them.....the "help" seems to be rock bottom (and not a jail cell or forced rehab).....
From my experience, it seems that most who stay sober do it because something inside them "clicks" at some point.....It doesn't seem to be something anyone else can do........many never have this "click" happen.....many die first....many die PERIOD!

Those who "demonize" these people just don't understand because they have never been there....or they just lack compassion.....it is laughable really (to one who is a recovered addict)
Those who "enable" these addicts are just as bad sometimes......they are sometimes just as laughable as the ones who judge without knowing.....and sometimes just as sad and "bad off" as the addicts they enable/protect/LOVE and care for........the judgmental fail to see this as well.....but such is the nature of knee-jerk judgment.....

I could say....one solution to this problem, in my opinion, would be a better "control" over how these opiates/benzos are distributed.....but with the current "attempt" at that I see how many that these medicines were intended for are not able to get them........the guidelines are messed up. A patient suffering from genuine, life-altering PAIN is sometimes stripped of their medicines simply because they use marijuana and it shows up in a drug-test given by their doctor because he was instructed to do so by organizations like the DEA (if that isn't official and the doctor isn't being "told"....it is being implied....I KNOW that)

But at the same time.....notice the "ATTEMPT"....which really isn't an attempt to restrict access......just the illusion of such. FAR too much $$$ in the "street trade" of these drugs.......(I know how that "game" works....same as it does with the heroin/coc aine/etc trade) Big pharma makes SURE these drugs hit the streets......$$$$$$$$

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
There is probably a logical explanation. Like mine, I got a DUI the other night, but in my defense I didn't realize I was driving. So there you go, she probably didn't do it on purpose. I think the judge will understand.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This is the reason DUI stops and police checkpoints are necessary.

If she hadn't been caught it was only a matter of time before somebody would've been killed or seriously injured.

'Tyranny' alarmists stating that police checkpoints are wrong need their heads examined.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join