It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I have been diagnosed as epileptic. :(

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

Keppra is the brand name for levetiracetam. I find it amazing how these drugs are discovered and what little we really know about them.

The exact mechanism by which levetiracetam acts to treat epilepsy is unknown. However, the drug binds to a synaptic vesicle protein, SV2A,[25] which is believed to impede nerve conduction across synapses.

So they know it works somehow , but they don't exactly know how it works. When I went through all of this self education with my son, we were shocked at this aspect of the treatment. It's almost as scary as the disorder.

edit on 16-3-2012 by mark1167 because: typo

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

LMAO, ok Shillasaurus, you keep eating those things and enjoy yourself.

Lol, keeping living in fear of your microwave. In the meantime, don't spread false assertions. Its just bad form.

There are more than enough resources out there that prove microwaved foods, sodas, too much video gaming, and most junk foods are deteriorating to the cells and overall health.

Lol no, such things are only unhealthy if you neglect health for them. Moderation dude, learn some perspective.

ll I did was ask questions that had X factors in common with others I know also diagnosed. Many doctors have to leave the room and Google the symptoms to make a diagnosis these days, new diseases and viruses are coming out faster than doctors can keep up with them.

Common problem here. You were phrasing an assertion as a question. Common tactic to deflect responsibility. Of course, that doesn't matter to you.

Always seek professional advice, but it never hurts to look into alternative solutions that have worked for others. One being, change of diet and habits. Give your body a chance to normalize itself, it doesn't have to be a life long ailment once you rid yourself of the causes.

Changing diet habits and resting your body is not "Alternative" that's the exact thing a doctor would recommend.
edit on 16-3-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Thank you for posting the quotes it makes it easier to see the futility and invalidity of your argument. I'm sure you and the members of ATS will see this as well.I'm sure you could probably find something wrong with this post as well lol. To the OP: I'm sorry you had to see this. I did not mean to bring out certain traits in people.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Guys please don't argue... I have asked my Doc about the lights, and videos.

The main risk for me is watching things in the dark, my Dr. said that I will be ok if I keep the lights on when watching any videos.

Low blood sugar, and sleep depravation are the biggest triggers for my seizures she thinks.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

What are your qualifications to claim such "facts" to be true? Do you have a degree? Are you out of your parent's basement yet? You really should check your facts before spouting them to others, it helps you not look like such a fool.

My credentials are common sense, dude. That is not medical advice but a practice of moderation.

People are asking questions and giving helpful advice. You are spouting off facts you have no idea about, giving definite conclusions based on what exactly? And by the choice vernacular you use, I'd estimate your age somewhere in the teens.

My conclusions are based off of common sense and what I know about epilepsy. I did not claim to know how to cure it. I did not claim to know what caused it. What I did claim was that being cautios is ideal. Common sense, not medical advice.

My age matters not, rather people only attack that when they have nothing else to say.

P.S. I am old enough to be in training to be a paramedic.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder
Guys please don't argue... I have asked my Doc about the lights, and videos.

The main risk for me is watching things in the dark, my Dr. said that I will be ok if I keep the lights on when watching any videos.

Low blood sugar, and sleep deprivation are the biggest triggers for my seizures she thinks.

Out of respect for you I will not argue this anymore. I hope you stay well and safe. If you are still worried about taking baths and stuff then take showers or use a sponge. At least when you fall you wont drown.

Be well, man.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Out of respect for you I will not argue this anymore. I hope you stay well and safe. If you are still worried about taking baths and stuff then take showers or use a sponge. At least when you fall you wont drown.

Be well, man.

Thank you for the advice...I mean that for everyone. My parents are going to help me set up a shower stall...little safer that way.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mark1167
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

Keppra is the brand name for levetiracetam. I find it amazing how these drugs are discovered and what little we really know about them.

The exact mechanism by which levetiracetam acts to treat epilepsy is unknown. However, the drug binds to a synaptic vesicle protein, SV2A,[25] which is believed to impede nerve conduction across synapses.

So they know it works somehow , but they don't exactly know how it works. When I went through all of this self education with my son, we were shocked at this aspect of the treatment. It's almost as scary as the disorder.

edit on 16-3-2012 by mark1167 because: typo

As scary as it sounds...Keppra so far is helping me, the doc said as long as we monitor me for the negative side-effects I'll be ok.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If anything this is inspiration for people to change their ways.

A few years ago i was going down the wrong path, devouring hot pockets and microwave junk every day.
I am now the healthiest I've ever been, anyone can change. Get informed

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Here is a post of mine from 2006, the year I was diagnosed at age 26.

My Epilepsy Story. Strange, but true.

I hope you find it interesting and informative.

I'm on 3000mg of Sodium Valproate (Epilim) a day. I'm medicated up to my eye balls.

Stay cool, man.

It gets better.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Wow, interesting for me to see this thread at this time.

I actually had what I (and my doctor, he has no definitive proof at the moment, although he says what I described as what happened match) believe to be a Tonic-Clonic seizure on the 29th of Feb. I passed out in the shower and was found a minute or two later by my roommate who heard me fall and saw me babbling to myself with my eyes rolled in the back of my head.

From my perspective I don't remember much of the 28th or the 29th other than a dream world that just kept repeating the same thing over and over and over and over again until I remember waking up the next day. I was told that after I was pulled out of the shower I started vomiting and then once moved into my bed I just slept for the rest of the day.

The next 4-5 days were just hell, I felt like I had been working out for 5 days straight and I was just in a fog the whole time, my memory was screwy, and everything just seemed distant.

If anyone on here (OP?) has seizures and/or epilepsy I would love if you could tell me if that sounds familiar as I am trying to figure out what happened. (Yes I have seen a doctor, and I've had a Carotid ultrasound, full bloodwork, and a head CT scan. I'm just waiting on the results to be interpreted by a neurologist)

Any help is appreciated

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

Hey, do not under any circumstances take any advice that revolves around "alternative treatments". There is a reason it isnt used by medical professionals and that reason isn't "Big Pharma".

I am sorry to here this, best I can recommend is taking up reading instead of tv and dont travel down Broadway(or anywhere where there will be big flashing signs) at night. Stay positive as well.

Good luck.

What do you base this on? Its a pretty bold statement to state that alternative therapies dont work. I know many people who were treated by the medical establishment and ended up worse. Out of desperation they researched alternative therapies, then tried them. It worked for them and they are leading pretty normal lives.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArrowsNV
If anyone on here (OP?) has seizures and/or epilepsy I would love if you could tell me if that sounds familiar as I am trying to figure out what happened. (Yes I have seen a doctor, and I've had a Carotid ultrasound, full bloodwork, and a head CT scan. I'm just waiting on the results to be interpreted by a neurologist)

Any help is appreciated

That describes almost exactly what I have gone through this week...
"nightmare like" is how I describe it.

The EMTs were asking me what year it was, and who my parents were...I had no answers, only could say "I'm really sick" over and over. I had no idea I was even on planet earth in the 21st century.

Then the 4 days of muscle repair and soreness.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Any help is appreciated

That describes almost exactly what I have gone through this week...
"nightmare like" is how I describe it.

The EMTs were asking me what year it was, and who my parents were...I had no answers, only could say "I'm really sick" over and over. I had no idea I was even on planet earth in the 21st century.

Then the 4 days of muscle repair and soreness.
Thank you for the quick response. I've been trying to get to the bottom of this since it happened, and I've been pretty concerned.

All I remember was the repeating of whatever or wherever I was in my head, and it felt like something was ripping at my consciousness all over (hard to describe the feeling).

My roommate said that when she found me I just kept saying "Don't" over and over again until she got me out of the shower/tub, then once out I proceeded to vomit all over for the next hour or so, and then I just passed out until the next day.

After I woke up, like I said, it was like I had been lifting weights for 5 days. I couldn't move my upper body without it being incredibly sore for 4-5 more days.

I got a call from my GP today and all he told me, even after looking at all the results of my tests, was that I needed to see a neurologist ASAP. He wouldn't say any more which concerned me and has been bugging me all day. To the point where I think I might have had a Simple Partial or Complex Partial at dinner tonight; I had felt funny earlier in the night (forgot what day it was on multiple occasions & some other 'minor' mental issues) and shrugged it off (it's been happening a lot lately with no 'ill effect') and later I went to the bathroom and as I was walking out the door i was just hit with this intense wave of nausea and had to run back to the bathroom to throw up.

Again, thanks for sharing, I know what to talk about with the neurologist now...
edit on 3/16/2012 by ArrowsNV because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

I am no doc, but my gut is telling me that you have "might" have the same thing...many of your experiences sound very close to mine.

Especially the part about only repeating the first words in your head, and being trapped in a dream like state.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I am no doc, but my gut is telling me that you have "might" have the same thing...many of your experiences sound very close to mine.

Especially the part about only repeating the first words in your head, and being trapped in a dream like state.
Don't worry about the 'doc' thing. I'm mainly just trying to figure out what happened and I've pinned it down to two things based on the symptoms I remember; Seizure or Nicotine Poisoning (I use an E-cig that I fill myself, and thought I couldve spilled a decent amount of nicotine fluid on myself at some point. Main reason I think that might be an option is my best friend has one too and HAS gotten some on him without cleaning and reports having similar symptoms)

I'm leaning towards seizure, unfortunately, because I'm a Pharmacy Tech and trained in sterile procedure, so I highly doubt I would've: a) spilled enough to do anything, and b) not cleaned it off myself fast enough.

Plus more of the symptoms lean towards seizure than they do Nic poisoning

Hoping my Neurologist gives me a clean bill, but we'll see....

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

If it is indeed seizure trouble don't through in the towel... I am learning there are alot of us out there.

Hugo Weaving, Steven Hawking, Teddy Kennedy, and many more...they even think that Alexander the great, and Julius Ceasar had epilepsy.

Also worth note, in NV if you have epilepsy it qualifiies you for medicinal cannabis.

edit on 16-3-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

If it is indeed seizure trouble don't through in the towel... I am learning there are alot of us out there.

Hugo Weaving, Steven Hawking, Teddy Kennedy, and many more...they even think that Alexander the great, and Julius Ceasar had epilepsy.

Also worth note, in NV if you have epilepsy it qualifiies you for medicinal cannabis.

edit on 16-3-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)
Hahaha I was gonna say something along those lines, and I'm kinda stoked about that. I would love for the fuzz to get off my back about that, and oddly enough the episode happened during a 'dry spell' cuz I was broke. So who knows.

Unfortunately though I've moved in the past week to a state without MM laws

Although if I do get a confirmed diagnosis I think I'd move back there anyway for that reason. If it is Epilepsy then I'm pretty sure my self-medicating ways kept it at bay and it decided to rear its ugly head because I stopped. :/

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

If it is Epilepsy then I'm pretty sure my self-medicating ways kept it at bay and it decided to rear its ugly head because I stopped. :/

Without break T&C....I am in a similar situation all around.

Thinking about hopping over to either NM or NV for the MM laws.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I got Epilepsy ten years ago from a car accident. I took 5 different anti-epileptic meds over five years and had to quit taking all of them because I have a condition that is hereditary involving the Liver. I lost my teeth and almost lost my feet from the meds and epilepsy, one time I woke up with three broken teeth. I had 13 broken teeth in the end after just having six broken teeth repaired about seven months before. The dentist wanted to put 12 gold crowns on, I had them all pulled instead. If your body temp averages below 98 degrees you may have trouble with the meds. It's a metabolism problem.

I now eat Asparagus about three times a month and soup containing cabbage. The asparaganes in these two veggies and also in some meats keep it controlled. I have skullcap in case I get the aura and I haven't got the foods around. I replaced $2500.00 a month of meds with twelve bucks worth of veggies. The insurance company paid for the meds but won't pay for the veggies.
Oh well, gotta eat anyway. I found the relationship of asparagus to head trauma from the Ruins. "God Odin treated his warriors to the Asparagae dancers when they returned from war". My meds had asparaganes in them, way too much and my body responded to the drug by creating chemistry to digest the asparagus which wasn't there. All that stuff my body made poisoned me, pushing my teeth up so they broke when I had a seizure. I started studying what caused these things. Funny thing, I planted asparagus twice in that five years because I was craving it.

I hope you have it easier than I did..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join