It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I have been diagnosed as epileptic. :(

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
anyways Shark_Feeder, i really hope you have someone close by who can call in and check on you, or come to you if need be.... i wish you luck and send positive vibes to thee

Yeah I am living with my parents, and my brother. So I am not alone. Just scared.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I know how you feel man i was pursuing a career in boxing and was a few weeks away from my first match when i collapsed and wound up in the ER and a week later was diagnosed as an epileptic. Before that i was in perfect health all through out life.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Why do I know so many people this happens to?
The people I know diagnosed in their late 20s -30s ate lots of microwaved foods, junk foods, HFCS, diet sodas, and played a lot of video games. Do any of these apply to you?

Listening to unproven garbage like this and the first post in the thread may well prove your undoing. They literally have no idea what they are talking about because they are talking about literally nothing.

Microwaved foods are perfectly fine, though not exactly healthy. Same for junk foods and soda. The one that make the least amount of sense is video games part. As if the video game physically changes your brain.

Of course you notice none of their statements are backed up with evidence of any kind. This is a very bad sign and warning to those who read it.

Listen to your Doctor. They study for years to learn the medical sciences and a, quite frankly retarded, post on the internet will never change that.

Be safe and be smart.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

ok cool, glad to hear you have people around you... dont be too scared, the doctors will be doing all they can to help you out, and its definitely worth a look into certain alternative/herbal remedies.... you dont have to go through with it, but its worth some research for sure

think positive.... i know its a scary condition, but they are far more worse things it could be.... yes its going to be a pain in the arse, but keep your head up, look to your future... plan things, keep healthy and happy, try not to let it get you down.... i can put you in touch with my friend heather who has stress induced epilepsy if you like, that way you have someone who you can talk to about it, and you can both relate....

much luck and positive vibes to thee

fluff xo

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by paganini
I know how you feel man i was pursuing a career in boxing and was a few weeks away from my first match when i collapsed and wound up in the ER and a week later was diagnosed as an epileptic. Before that i was in perfect health all through out life.

That is very close to me... I have never had serious health problems, and now at 28 I have to restructure parts of my life.

Thank you everyone for your support... I consider ATS extended family, and it helps.

I just hope the keppra works... I still want to swim with the Whites, and I really don't want to have to wear a helment.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
2000mg keppra daily - seizure free for 8 months
edit on 16-3-2012 by TrainDispatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I know it can be scary but you have a really great shot at living a perfectly normal life. My husband and one of my best friends are both epileptic, and both have grand mal seizures. The good news is that in MOST cases this can be treated with medication.

The scary part is the time it takes to find the right medicine and the right dosage for you. Until you get the meds right you are still at risk. But once you get the meds right you may seldom or maybe even never have seizures again. Once you find the right medicine (or combination) in the right dosage you have to take your medicine on time EVERY TIME. It only works if you have a constant amount in your system at all times. Also, you have to keep all doctor appointments, as they will have to do regular bloodwork to monitor your liver.

There are rare cases when medication does not achieve the proper effects. However, in those rare extreme cases there has been surgical techniques developed that seem to have been successful.

Until you have your seizures under control I would suggest abstaining from driving or other activities that could put yourself as well as others in danger. Keep your electolytes up ( drink plenty of Gatorade or similar), eat a healthy diet, get plenty of sleep, and if you should start to feel "funky" please go lay down on your side with a pillow under your head. Stay away from drugs and alcohol. Once you start seizure meds please consult with your doctor before taking any over the counter medicines as they could react with seizure meds.

Above all, let the people around you know what is going on- including at work. Let them know what to do in case you have a seizure when they're around. They should lay you on your side preferably with something soft (pillow, jacket, etc.) under your head. Tell them to abstain from trying to put anything in your mouth as they could lose fingers. Make sure they know CPR (my husband's seizures entailed expelling all air from his lungs and after a few minutes with no air loss of heartbeat so this was necessary- may not be like that with yours, but better safe than sorry). Also, set alarms on your cell phone to remind you to take your medicine, and make sure you always have some with you in case you get stuck out later than you plan.

You will be okay. Epilepsy is not the dirty secret it once was. You have probably interacted with many epileptics in your life and never even knew it. It doesn't have to stop you from doing anything you want to do. Doesn't slow my husband down AT ALL! Hope I've helped. The more you educate yourself the better you will feel.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Herbal Treatments

There are different types of herbal treatments available, for example, general herbal medications and Chinese herbal medicines. Herbal treatment uses plants as a cure to treat the whole person. Limited research has shown that herbal treatments may be helpful as a complementary treatment for epilepsy. However it is important to bear in mind that certain herbal remedies may trigger seizures for some people or interact with anti-epileptic medication. Therefore it is advisable to discuss any herbal remedies with your own doctor before starting treatment. You may also wish to ask your pharmacist or a herbalist for advice.

www.epilepsy.org.uk...

www.ice-epilepsy.org...

www.neurology.org...

pcs.hmc.washington.edu...

all these are online.... but if you like i can put you in touch with some friends who are fully qualified medical herbalists.....

they can work, they have worked and they DO work..... dont be so dam skeptical.... ever tried it for yourself?
obviously your herbalist and doctors should be in full communication should a person decide to use an alternative remedy rather than the western medicine.....

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If anyone wants to chat with me on facebook...I don't mind telling my real name is "Adam Tickle". Yeah that is my real name

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Herbal Treatments

There are different types of herbal treatments available, for example, general herbal medications and Chinese herbal medicines. Herbal treatment uses plants as a cure to treat the whole person. Limited research has shown that herbal treatments may be helpful as a complementary treatment for epilepsy. However it is important to bear in mind that certain herbal remedies may trigger seizures for some people or interact with anti-epileptic medication. Therefore it is advisable to discuss any herbal remedies with your own doctor before starting treatment. You may also wish to ask your pharmacist or a herbalist for advice.

www.epilepsy.org.uk...

www.ice-epilepsy.org...

www.neurology.org...

pcs.hmc.washington.edu...

all these are online.... but if you like i can put you in touch with some friends who are fully qualified medical herbalists.....

they can work, they have worked and they DO work..... dont be so dam skeptical.... ever tried it for yourself?
obviously your herbalist and doctors should be in full communication should a person decide to use an alternative remedy rather than the western medicine.....

I do not care about that. We have trained medical professionals who know what they are doing. If the reccomend a treatment like this, then that's fine. Because they would only do so for something they KNOW is effective.

I like how you added "western medicine" at the end. As if the rest of the word isn't using it as well. Listen, professional medical help is always better than "new age" stuff. Whenever compared, "western medicine" always wins 100% of the time. This is just fact.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Don't worry... I have no intention of stopping my Keppra.

At least not until a doc is ready to wean me off it.

I just feel like I'm weak now(I know that is in my head, please no offence to anyone else with this), like I can't take care of myself.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I know you're scared Adam, but you have a lot of support in here and surely at home as well. There are so many changes and challenges that we face through the years, many of which makes us stronger idividuals. HUGS!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

fairdoos.... you obviously do not have an open mind....
and LOL at the 'new age' thing.... how the hell is it new age?!?!?! the people's of earth have practised herbal medicine for thousands of years !!

all herbal/alternative medicine prescribed by herbalists is ALWAYS checked with the patient and the doctor informed.... there is NOTHING wrong with looking at anything alternative....

i have experienced first hand how it works and it DOES work !!!!! give it a go sometime.... open your mind to 'old age ' remedies and medicines.....

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

fairdoos.... you obviously do not have an open mind....
and LOL at the 'new age' thing.... how the hell is it new age?!?!?! the people's of earth have practised herbal medicine for thousands of years !!

all herbal/alternative medicine prescribed by herbalists is ALWAYS checked with the patient and the doctor informed.... there is NOTHING wrong with looking at anything alternative....

i have experienced first hand how it works and it DOES work !!!!! give it a go sometime.... open your mind to 'old age ' remedies and medicines.....

Hey, I watched my grandma slowly die cause of the BS you are spouting right now. It does NOT work or it would be medical science. It is not. When you have submitted the treatments for scrutiny under the scientific method and it come back as proven then you can say it works.

Your anecdotes mean nothing in the face of cold hard science.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I don't buy into the new age garbage as I'm sure there would be cures for many ailments that "modern medicine" has not been able to fix.
But how about old world medicines?
We have surely forgotten more than modern medicine will ever know.
For instance, years back 3 of my boys caught a terrible resistant staph infection that was going around the local high schools.
Five or so high schools were affected, as I helped coach, I got it too.
It was terrible and the only remedy the doctors could come up with was this extremely caustic soap scrub.
The instructions were to put on the body no more than 5 minutes and IMMEDIATELY wash off thouroghly.
This soap cost $50 for about 12 ounces, it was not covered under our prescription plan for some reason.
But as I had 3 boys and myself it got a bit more.
Over time the soap worked for some but the majority was an astounding failure.
You wanna know what the CURE finally was?
Old world medicine, just like foot fungus.
I got into the tub and took basically a shower with my own urine.
Guess what, the bad itching went away.
In short don't believe everything your doctor might tell you, there is a reason why they call it "practicing medicine".
I just wish I knew of an old world cure for epilepsy to give sharkbait, but I am sure it has been forgotten in the name of "progress".

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Don't worry... I have no intention of stopping my Keppra. At least not until a doc is ready to wean me off it.

Its important that you trust your doc and do not keep stuff from him. And again, stay positive. You are not "weak" and all in all you should be fine. Do not be afraid, be cautious.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I do not wish to nit-pick and argue anything in this post. I just feel it is necessary to address to certain things you have said. For one, your choice of words is worrisome to say the least. Second, about the whole food thing, people are just trying to give the best advice they can, any advice that is good for the person is good advice. If the person were to stop eating/drinking things names it would certainly be healthy. So I question why you feel the need to bash it (rhetorically). Third "new age" was a term you coined and there was no mention of those words or anything remotely similar. It is known that most of our medicines have come from in fact the plant kingdoms.It is also known that the drugs they have now seem to work.. Though, I am not recommending whether what path of medicine you should take. People are simply offering options that are not widely known, that is all. Last and most important, you say video game advice makes the least sense . That could not be farther from the truth. It is very well known the effects video games have on triggering seizures. It seems you are more into bashing any advice then helping the op. I know you may be good intentioned, however ill-played, your advice is,maybe you should choose your words more carefully. To the OP - Don't let anything deter you from overcoming this "diagnosis" whatever it may be.
edit on 16-3-2012 by jdftp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Microwaved foods are perfectly fine, though not exactly healthy. Same for junk foods and soda. The one that make the least amount of sense is video games part. As if the video game physically changes your brain.

LMAO, ok Shillasaurus, you keep eating those things and enjoy yourself.

There are more than enough resources out there that prove microwaved foods, sodas, too much video gaming, and most junk foods are deteriorating to the cells and overall health.

All I did was ask questions that had X factors in common with others I know also diagnosed. Many doctors have to leave the room and Google the symptoms to make a diagnosis these days, new diseases and viruses are coming out faster than doctors can keep up with them.

Always seek professional advice, but it never hurts to look into alternative solutions that have worked for others. One being, change of diet and habits. Give your body a chance to normalize itself, it doesn't have to be a life long ailment once you rid yourself of the causes.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jdftp

I do not wish to nit-pick and argue anything in this post.

Thats fine, i will go ahead and nitpick yours then.

For one, your choice of words is worrisome to say the least.

Which words were those?

Second, about the whole food thing, people are just trying to give the best advice they can, any advice that is good for the person is good advice.

Totally wrong. Or maybe I can tell you to not visit a doctor and instead stick your head in battery acid? Hey, any advice is good.

If the person were to stop eating/drinking things names it would certainly be healthy.

People and their misconceptions about health. Sorry, you are wrong. Eating junk foods is perfectly fine as long as you also eat food with sufficient nutrients as well. Its only "unhealthy" if you neglect other nutritious food in its favor.

So I question why you feel the need to bash it (though I don't want your answer). Third "new age" was a term you coined and there was no mention of those words or anything remotely similar.

Because trusting "some dude" who claims it works without any verifiable evidence is stupid. Go ahead and do it though, just dont confuse other people with your untested, unscientific nonsense.

. People are simply offering options that are not widely known, that is all.

Oh i see, and what credentials do they have to offer this advice? You NEVER take medical advice from the internet. Its just plain stupid.

Last and most important, you say video game advice makes the least sense . That could not be farther from the truth. It is very well known the effects video games have on triggering seizures.

Wrong again. It is known that flashing lights cause seizures not epilepsy.
edit on 16-3-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Eating junk foods is perfectly fine as long as you also eat food with sufficient nutrients as well. Its only "unhealthy" if you neglect other nutritious food in its favor.

What are your qualifications to claim such "facts" to be true? Do you have a degree? Are you out of your parent's basement yet? You really should check your facts before spouting them to others, it helps you not look like such a fool.

People are asking questions and giving helpful advice. You are spouting off facts you have no idea about, giving definite conclusions based on what exactly? And by the choice vernacular you use, I'd estimate your age somewhere in the teens.

Know it all teenager strikes again!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join