It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA Chief: We’ll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I think Mr. Wendel hit the nail on the head, in that these smart appliances will be for monitoring(and at some point controlling) energy usage. Then I'd imagine fines will be handed out and/or restrictions to water consumption.

spec
edit on 16-3-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It seems pretty obvious and easy with the smarter devices. Like anything on the TV cable or phone systems INCLUDING cell phones and computers. Oh and...

Is This a Camera In My TV box ???

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Peripheral Intelligence

I talked about a concept on Prisonplanet one or two years ago, which I named “Peripheral Intelligence”.

To define this term isn’t hard: “Peripheral Intelligence”, to me, means “knowledge which comes from many different, i.e. alternate, smaller, more ubiquitous, easy-to-miss and expected-to-work sources and devices, channels, et cetera”, ad nauseum.

That still sucks, as definitions go.

Dynamic Profiling

Here is a better one, more compact:

“Peripheral Intelligence”: A system of Vital knowledge gathering which employs the use of methods, channels, devices, sources, and compilation procedures other than one would find in a typical report or profile;
to include “Dynamic Profiling“, which I define as a “system of gathering information vital to understanding individuals or groups; which helps to define, isolate, monitor, or otherwise interact with these individual and groups in a non-intrusive, difficult-to-prove manner”.

Obvious sources of Peripheral intelligence are systems like OnStar, which records voices and updates a database containing the travel-logs of all customers. They know I am a bitch by the way.

Fusion Centers

Less obvious sources can likely be found in what citizens refer to as “Fusion Centers”. The bosses of fusion centers like to brag to each other over hot cups of gov’t-paid-for coffee about who has the most information storage space. That’s right, it’s no longer about access to nukes or who has permission to start what — Intelligence agencies now use a different yardstick to factor their worth, and we call it “square footage” of “information storage space”. There is a real term for the specific use of space for intelligence storage, but I can’t fg remember it.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed this small chitchat on peripheral intelligence, dynamic profiling, and Little Big Brother — or should I just call it “Beast”?

You can name him.

I wouldn’t care so much about Big Brother if everyone knew they were safe from spooks, you know, James Bond types who get around these kinds of rules. I know a few fs like that here and there, don’t you? Don’t they make your fg skin crawl?

Anyhow, another device that I once suspected as being super great for spying on the public is the Nintendo DSi. This handy, hand-held internet-connected video gaming machine is the size of one and a half bananas. It’s capable of taking your picture while taking video of your surroundings with audio and keystrokes while transmitting it away. Isn’t that super? It took my picture when I was on the pot. Can you believe my surprise? I wondered if someone in Tokyo could see my fat white ass sitting there while my machine woke up, looked around, and said “HELLO WORLD”! (first time it was out of the box i was crapping lol).

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Hell yeah! I don't have a dishwasher.

Will they come install one for me?

Took the words right outta my mouth.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
I think Mr. Wendel hit the nail, in that these smart appliances will be for monitoring(and at some point controlling) energy usage. Then I'd imagine fines will be handed out and/or restrictions to water consumption.

spec

I have no doubt that this is exactly what is about. And why not? Just think of what you can do with 10-20 years of this type of data. Just wait and see. In 20 years there will be a new bright eyed Politician who makes the argument that you must be limited in you access to water due to declining resources and increasing population. Instead of rolling blackouts with electricity, you will get rolling dry ups instead. Or perhaps one could even make an argument that each household should only be permitted a specific amount of water for use each month. Once you reach that limit, you should be cut off. All in the name of protecting natural resources.

It may sound crazy, but I think it is a highly probable future scenario. I doubt that in 1980 anyone would have thought rolling blackouts would happen 20 years later. I know I didn't.

Just look at what has come of data collected that tracked the use of electricity and the ideas that have come from it. Has anyone heard of the "Electricity Vending System"? No? Well read this....and then tell me if you think such a system could not be used for all resources, provided they are tracked.

Energy Efficient Singapore

How much more powerful would Government be if they had the power to control your consumption of electricity or water or oil? The whole point of tracking anything at all is to collect data. The only real question is why and what that data will be used for?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

I have mixed feelings on this issue. On one hand, I don't want anyone telling me how(or take over) to manage my own household. On the other hand, with the ongoing depletion of natural resources, coupled with laziness and wastefulness of many people, I can see how this may be beneficial in managing consumption. Hell people may actually like the savings when they get their bill. What is sad is trust lost, and how people have grown so suspicious in this brave new cyber world. I still sit on the fence for now, paying attention to unfolding actions and policies. I have come to realize that until the majority of people are able to take better care of themselves, which is getting tougher to do as slaves to economic servitude, and make better decisions, big brother will always be there to lend(force) a hand, for better or worse.

spec

ETA: You might like This thread.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well the next time lose my dishwasher, I will know who to call...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I sure am glad I moved to the country. May not escape the scensors forever but sure as heck for a bit longer. No DVR, never use the dishwasher. No free net around here. You have to dial up. Although my electricity meter now "sends" my usage date directly to the electricity provider.

Yeah, things are playing out just like they've been planned, years ago. I think there is no escape.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by reitze
It seems pretty obvious and easy with the smarter devices. Like anything on the TV cable or phone systems INCLUDING cell phones and computers. Oh and...

the timing couldnt be more perfect if it is, they recently installed Digital boxes in every home locally that wants to watch more then 29 channels.

around the same time as the smart meters, about a month ago.

big brother is watching

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I work for a cable co. and I've worked with all the different products and technologies that we cover (tv internet phone). There is no technology in your tv that monitors audio or video and has the capabilities to send that somewhere. Now, modern cable boxes have at least the potential to do such things, but currently do not have microphones or cameras installed, although I have heard that a comcast ceo was dreaming of such a technology, to be used to identify you when you walk in the room and display your favorite programming,but was torn apart by the public and media for suggesting such an intrusive technology.

xbox kinects and ps3s have the camera tech in place already too.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
It would be like the CIA comedy channel. Imagine what you would see! I guess I would do the same thing if I needed to lighten up.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Technically skilled people who toy with the hardware would find it if something like that was in place. the average person is not sufficiently interesting to warrant their attention.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by reitze

the timing couldnt be more perfect if it is, they recently installed Digital boxes in every home locally that wants to watch more then 29 channels.

around the same time as the smart meters, about a month ago.

big brother is watching

That is an infrared receiver for the remote control. IR receivers all look alike. I guess they kind of do look like a miniature camera. Go to wall mart and buy an IR receiver for a circuit board, it will look exactly the same.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
the real conspiracy, why doesn't barack obama's facebook page have all the "pamela wants to be your f-buddy" and the ten thousand other spams that pop up.

his page is ad and spam free.

edit on 17-3-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Imagine if the CIA spent half the time they did trying to watch our every move on something more productive, like:

1) Cheeper everything. From gas to food to even our recreation. You might say "bah! Impossible!" or call me a "commie", but that level of surveilance isn't cheep. Those resources could be easily deverted. But that would mean that instead of being CIA spies, they might actually have to get a real job that doesn't infringe on the personal freedoms of the citizenry it was swore to protect...

2) Hold banking pratices accountable. Sure, you got time to tell me how wrong it was to use my comp and drier after 2pm, and before 7, but heaven help us if you deverted that "we see all" mentality on the corrupt banking system.

3) Elections by the people for the people. If you know my grocery list, you can sure as heck give every citizen in this nation a vote (so long as the law applies they can. No more corpses voting in people. The dead don't care about who is president anymore. They're in a better place.)

4) Free wifi for all. Heck, it could only help monitor the populace, right?

And this is only the tip of the ice burg. But the American government is so scared of it's own people, that it doesn't realize the amount of good it could do if it's intelligence agencies acted intelligently.

By the people, for the people. - this is not rocket science.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
There is a whole other aspect to this that I'm surprised no one is talking about. The CIA is supposed to be banned from Domestic intelligence operations. How is this not made with domestic intelligence gathering in mind? Are they now allowed to make all the goodies and establish doctrine for using it but figure they're okay as long as the guys deploying it in the U.S. don't have CIA ID's in their wallets??

Or..Gee..we could imagine this is really for that enormous number of people in the 3rd world, where the U.S. has been predominately operating for the last 15-20 years, who have all manner of smart devices with the WiFi to support it. It must be everywhere...

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
What I don't understand about this is why go through these lengths when most people offer all their own dirt on social networks anyway? I could see where smart phones would be a target but the dishwasher?
All it would hear me talking about is ''Why can't anyone make their own damn sandwich!'' or ''Doesn't anyone know how to rinse a dish around here!''. With that in mind I'm all for that free dishwasher idea since I don't have one and do my dishes like a cave-woman.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Drew99GT

You have to understand that predictive algorithms have been around for a good many years. The only problem is a lack of information. If they knew everything that was going on it wouldn't be that hard to predict the future. Add in voice recognition software designed to spot key phrases and words... Well you get the idea..

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
The saddest aspect of this is, while the establishment has increased all means to monitor the public, they have also declared that those seeking to "live off the grid" are to be carefully watched as a potential threat.

I wonder how my great-great-grandfather would have reacted to all this...

Many jumped to conclusions when this administration ran on the "will be the most transparent", assuming it was the Administration and the government being referenced. LOL! Good one! They were talking about the citizens!

"The White House, Pentagon transperent.
No, no...so funny. No, we didn't mean WEEEEE would be transparent. Nah, we were saying that the citizens will be transparent"

Yeah, they totally got us. BTW, (Serious note here) People really do need to listen to BO's campaign speeches, actually all of his speeches. Really listen, to them. In fact, take notes. He very gifted at double speak. Plus, pay attention to what he leaves out, LEAVES OUT, of his statemtents. He is big, HUGE, on the choice of words he does NOT say.

Now, I get the reason for the teleprompters. I't deeper than just not knowing his speeches. They (the teleprompters) are there to keep his focus, keep his mind on the words (which, BTW, are quite often misquoted...remember "corpsmen", said as in 'corps' like 'dead body' corps....teehee). Yeah, he will never give any sort of important press release, statement, or speech without the prompts. Only very informal meet and greet and those situations he believes he can control.

Sorry, typing off topic.....

-Stacie

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
and this is why i will one day be living in a cabin in the woods.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join