It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Has Become a Hotbed of Ignorance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
**I want to preface this by saying that per the rules of the Rant forum I am going to attempt to refrain from naming any names of members or threads**

As we all know the motto of ATS is "Deny Ignorance." In the past the members have done a pretty good job of living up to this motto. However, over the past year or so threads on here seem to have moved away from espousing "Deny Ignorance" and instead fall more in line with "Embrace Sensationalism." No longer is the well-researched thread the one that sparks the most heated debate, receives the most flags, and inevitably represents ATS as a whole on the main page. Instead it is the thread that makes the most wild claims and has a YouTube video to back it up.

Right now there are a number of threads that exemplify this perfectly. They present an out there theory backed up by a YouTube video and now have close to 20 pages of posts and over 100 flags. This is despite the fact that these threads were unequivocally debunked in the first few pages. Now some of this could simply be the result of people being too lazy to actually read a thread before commenting (of course that topic deserves a rant unto itself). However, from reading threads like these it's clear that most people have read the entire thread and are simply closing their mind to the truth because it doesn't fit their worldview. In other words they are embracing ignorance. It's quite common to see responses to posts that disprove a theory like "Just because it looks and behaves exactly like a known phenomena doesn't mean that's what it is," or "Just because the author lied about crucial aspects regarding their research doesn't mean their wrong."

Using logic like that is no different than saying "Just because my parents told me that they were Santa and that Santa doesn't really exist doesn't mean there really isn't a Santa." Yet not a single member of ATS is running out to defend the existence of Santa. Why? Because it would be silly to defend something that is clearly not true. However, ATS members also don't base their entire perception of the world around the existence of Santa. They do however base their worldview topics like aliens visiting Earth and doomsday/ascension occurring on December 21, 2012. As a result they become blinded when certain aspects of these topics are proven false.

Now I'm sure there are some out there right now thinking I'm close minded. That's not the case though. In the past ATS was represented by topics like undo's Stargate thread, Internos' research threads, or MikeSingh's lengthy posts on Moon and Mars anomalies. It was also represented by threads like the ones debunking the SERPO hoax. These threads didn't become popular because they presented sensational theories or attempted to add support to something like AAT. They were popular because they were well researched and people actually took the time to read through them, synthesized the information they read, did some research of their own, and then replied with their own research. Now however it seems like these threads would fall by the way side while a thread that doesn't say much more than "Ancient Aliens is great," rockets to the front page.

What ATS has become reminds me of this:

So members of ATS do you want this site to be represented by a butt flag? If not maybe you should think twice about clicking the Flag button just because an OP says something that agrees with your worldview.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
A butt flag may not be totally inappropriate since, it seems, every other thread these days is something about the SHTF.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I agree with you. And you put it extremely well. But you're not going to stop these silly threads that some posters make. You'll just have to weed through them and look for threads titles that look to have some value in them. If not, just keep looking around.

I am waiting for a MOD to come around though. Rant already posted here. Please continue the discussion.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 15-3-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Frustrating, isn't it? I'm reminded of a quote though, "Be the change you want to see". Make those threads that are important. Same with posts AND don't be taken in by the trolls. You want better, make it better. ATS is user driven. It's what the members want to discuss. If you think I'm talking out of my butt, check my post count.
Yes I get frustrated as well but that means I have to do something about this, not sit back and wait for it to happen. Does that make sense?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I was actually going to include something about this in my post but deleted it at the last minute as I thought it would make it sound like I was simply complaining about not getting flags. I have produced a number of well researched threads complete with citations. These simply get ignored for the most part and those that do seem to read them are people who already thought the same way I did. It's disheartening to put hours into researching and writing a proper thread only to have it ignored or at least not receive feedback from the people it was targeted towards.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Welcome to the ATS 1%. The Occupy Ignorance movement started pitching their tents months ago. Soon after, common sense and critical thinking were hog tied and sacrificed on the alter of YouTube.

The minions of madness now run amok, while we dwindling few are left floating up WTF creek without a paddle.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I joined ATS because of the spot on research and exciting threads I read as a lurker. However, when I try to post my own research or opinions its "YOUR STUPID AND ALL OF YOU NOWLEGES ARE LAME."

I wonder if a bunch of 12 year olds got together and decided to storm this site and make a mockery of it.

Star and Flag for saying what I feel

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

The very basis for you thread is a construct of sensationalism...

"Some tactics include being deliberately obtuse,[2] appealing to emotions,[3] being controversial, intentionally omitting facts and information,[4] being loud, self-centered and acting to obtain attention.[3] Trivial information and events are sometimes misrepresented and exaggerated as important or significant, and often includes stories about the actions of individuals and small groups of people,[1] the content of which is often insignificant and irrelevant relative to the macro-level day-to-day events that occur globally. "
en.wikipedia.org...

I truly hope that I don't have to explain this any further. Keep on keepin on...

Gotta love trivial information in regards to exaggerated denotations of already subjective topics... consider that the truth, in which may be derived through conversing and sifting through conjecture is shrouded in deciete, mis or dis information, and what you define as truth may have little relevance to others. Lets all start speaking in extremes, like we are all infaliable, we might deny eachothers ignorance, but only in a sense of denying anothers weight in value. Good luck trying to find a balance, with nothing sitting on the other side of the scale....

Should we all sit in the corner of a carpenters square, while one encompass' our worldview... You can have that spot, I can be found in the middle of it all.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more. The most highly flagged threads are the ones that are all about sensationalism and popular opinion instead of the search for the truth.

Then there are those threads with hate topics that keep popping up. They have absolutely nothing to offer in toerms of the search for the truth or offer any conspiracy.

When you I try and offer rational arguments these days, I find that my voice is usually lost in the rush to be the most popular and the hunt for stars.

Such a shame because I like this site and I like some of the forums on here.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm observing...
"Embrace Sensationalism." indeed correct. You're largely ignored if it's not sensational! Take for example one topic as of late which won't be named: I found that if people want to believe it, they will! When that is not even the fact of the matter, even the main sources state that. The reply of the people who believe what was not even read and researched by them; was a berating comment. Last years amidst many, one that stuck out was a testament to ignorance.
"Deny Ignorance, while not to say it is horrible, as it does help. Though, seems to have attracted the very cynical crowd, that only post in cynicism.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Sign o' the times? Time really is speeding up. It must be the "Ascension."

top topics

join