It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moroccan girl commits suicide after being forced to marry her rapist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

A 16-year-old Moroccan girl has committed suicide after a judge ordered her to marry her rapist, according to Moroccan media reports. Last year Amina’s parents filed charges against their daughter’s rapist, a man 10 years older than her but it was only recently that a judge in the northern city of Tangier decided that instead of punishing him, the two must be married.

Traumatized by the painful experience of rape, Amina decided to end her life by consuming rat poison in the house of her husband’s family, according to the Moroccan daily al-Massae. According to the newspaper, this type of forced marriage is rooted in local rural traditions to safeguard the honor of girls who are raped.

Source

Unbelievable in this day and age that this kind of thing still goes on.

She had to marry this guy to protect "her" honor. What about her family's honor to beat the ever loving crap out of this guy, and then... well use your imagination.

This is wrong on so many levels.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

edit on 3/14/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

in all fairness the bible has a very similar rule.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Edit to add - both are equally disgusting.

edit on 14-3-2012 by underduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

She had to marry this guy to protect "her" honor. What about her family's honor to beat the ever loving crap out of this guy, and then... well use your imagination.

This is wrong on so many levels.

This is disgusting and unbelievable. However, you do raise a good point. I don't think there is any dishonor in being a widow. Marry the guy to save her honor, and then let the guy wind up dead shortly thereafter and all debts are settled, even in their backwards culture!

This is said partially in jest of course, because I don't think she should be forced to marry him at all, and he should be dead or in jail, BUT, to comply with their customs, if I were a father in that culture, then maybe I'd decide to think outside the box a little, save my daughter's honor and seek out justice of my own all in one fell swoop. I think you're onto something there OP!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

it's a shame she did not take the judge with her , in my opinion the judge was as guilty as the rapist

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck

Actually no, it's not a similar rule at all.

It is evident in other parts of Deutoronomy (and elsewhere) that if the woman/girl was being raped and she resisted, her rapist was to be stoned. If she did not resist, that was akin to committing fornication, and they both could be stoned.

However, there was a provision out, as you quoted, that they could agree to be married to each other, preserve their lives. Again, this would apply to a more consensual sex between unmarried people, and certainly not rape.

Here is the content from the same chapter:

23 “In case there happened to be a virgin girl engaged to a man, and a man actually found her in the city and lay down with her, 24 YOU must also bring them both out to the gate of that city and pelt them with stones, and they must die, the girl for the reason that she did not scream in the city, and the man for the reason that he humiliated the wife of his fellowman. So you must clear away what is evil from your midst.

But what do you know, it's easier to remain either ignorant or willfully bashful.
edit on 14/3/2012 by gandalph because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is EXACTLY what our "holy" bible demands of raped women.

Bet they dont go over that one in church on Sundays. They probably dont go over where the bible demands that women keep their mouths SHUT in church also.

Some "holy" book there... packed with sexism to the EXTREME. Can anyone tell that it was written by MAN and not some higher power?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gandalph

I would argue that they are at least very similar. If the rape was not resisted? That means it isnt rape. This is just one of many lines in the bible (much like other texts of the time) that show women to be nothing more than brood mares for a civilization.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
All the translations of the Bible verse about "rape"....

I add that to the list of many issues I have with and how Christians (which I am one - yeah, I know confusing) pick and chose what they follow and believe in the Bible.... that rant is a whole 'nother topic

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Doesn't that judge got a daughter, guess not, otherwise how in the world could he give this sentence? Or he must hate his daughter if he has one.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandalph

Actually no, it's not a similar rule at all.

It is evident in other parts of Deutoronomy (and elsewhere) that if the woman/girl was being raped and she resisted, her rapist was to be stoned. If she did not resist, that was akin to committing fornication, and they both could be stoned.

However, there was a provision out, as you quoted, that they could agree to be married to each other, preserve their lives. Again, this would apply to a more consensual sex between unmarried people, and certainly not rape.

Here is the content from the same chapter:

23 “In case there happened to be a virgin girl engaged to a man, and a man actually found her in the city and lay down with her, 24 YOU must also bring them both out to the gate of that city and pelt them with stones, and they must die, the girl for the reason that she did not scream in the city, and the man for the reason that he humiliated the wife of his fellowman. So you must clear away what is evil from your midst.

But what do you know, it's easier to remain either ignorant or willfully bashful.
edit on 14/3/2012 by gandalph because: (no reason given)

Honestly, as a woman, your interpretation does not make it any better. But that is your interpretation and not fact. That is the thing with the Bible...everyone just interprets how they see fit.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I would argue that they are at least very similar. If the rape was not resisted? That means it isnt rape. This is just one of many lines in the bible (much like other texts of the time) that show women to be nothing more than brood mares for a civilization.

And I wouldn't argue, I would simply look at the book and texts you quoted - it's pretty direct. Both would be stoned for the act of fornication, where's the "favouritism" toward men?

The Israelite laws and Islamic laws are nothing alike. I'm a practicer of neither, by the way, but I do wish to speak in facts as opposed to conjecture which the rest of the texts clearly disprove.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plugin
Doesn't that judge got a daughter, guess not, otherwise how in the world could he give this sentence? Or he must hate his daughter if he has one.

It is what they believe in their religion and it is their laws...
One cannot compare what they would do with a culture they are not part of....

Just like they cant comprehend our culture....

....'tis the way it is....

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Honestly, as a woman, your interpretation does not make it any better. But that is your interpretation and not fact. That is the thing with the Bible...everyone just interprets how they see fit.

What interpretation? I quoted from the book, how many ways can you interpret that consensual premarital sex in Israelite society was punishable by death for both the man and the woman?

There was a provision that would safeguard the lives of the couple if they agreed to marry each other after consensual sex.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Of course he hates his own daughter. Many times it is the fathers and brothers that carry out the stoning death sentences. Other times they just bind the girl outside and let their friends and neighbors do the deeds. There is no value to a female life in these backward ass cultures. China and India have problems with entirely male communities, because the female children are immediately discarded. The Muslim communities let the girls live, but anything that goes wrong is immediately the female's fault and they pay the price while the males just move on to another victim.

Religion is holding back humanity from being all that it could be. I strongly believe in our creator. There is no doubt in my mind about the existence of God, and I have to think that nobody hates religion more than that creator! There is just no way God created us and then immediately implemented a bunch of irrational rules to hold us back from our true potential.

link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Agreed ... that is another topic altogether. The bible is best to be used as a guideline and not a word for word translation. Be good to others and try you best to turn the other cheek when youve been wronged. If you fail it is ok as long as you know it was a failure and that you promise to try harder next time.

Using that to tie back into the OPs post. This is a shame and nobody involved should feel good about their part in it. Perhaps it is time to revisit some of these traditions.

link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Sure, but those in charge of religion, surely should change their thinking?
So is it religion really or people who are to blaim?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by underduck

True, for me believing in god, is believing in something good. So no way a god would come up with such a rule, if he would love us.

I hope this girl can change their thinking, with her action. Not that I have much faith in that, but at least the judge would/should think twice the next time! if not, he's not human.
edit on 14-3-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

reply to post by DarthMuerte

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Edit to add - both are equally disgusting.

We don't practice those primitive 2000 year old crimes against humanity, none of the churches do this, this is the year 2012.

But its not their fault either.

Research the very small minority, fringe Brotherhood fanaticals, under Banna, and the Nazi's and see NWO tools.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

It is what they believe in their religion and it is their laws...
One cannot compare what they would do with a culture they are not part of....

Just like they cant comprehend our culture....

....'tis the way it is....

That is not true. Its the way certain elite like it, and its also going to change. This world IS going to be freed, and everyone living equally. That is something I know, in my soul, is the whole purpose of the tests. To Change The World And Stop Voting For These Criminals And Get World Laws To Protect People, But Not NWO World Laws.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join