It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Madrid Fault Region: Area Residents Noticing Sulfur Smells In Arkansas And Missouri

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Katharos62191

This might help to explain your use of the word "sour".

Sulfur and Carbon Dioxide Removal In addition to water, oil, and NGL removal, one of the most important parts of gas processing involves the removal of sulfur and carbon dioxide. Natural gas from some wells contains significant amounts of sulfur and carbon dioxide. This natural gas, because of the rotten smell provided by its sulfur content, is commonly called 'sour gas'. Sour gas is undesirable because the sulfur compounds it contains can be extremely harmful, even lethal, to breathe. Sour gas can also be extremely corrosive. In addition, the sulfur that exists in the natural gas stream can be extracted and marketed on its own. In fact, according to the USGS, U.S. sulfur production from gas processing plants accounts for about 15 percent of the total U.S. production of sulfur. For information on the production of sulfur in the United States, visit the USGS here.

www.naturalgas.org...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Wildfires, grass fires, and controlled burns are well documented in the area over the last month. I live in an area that gets many BIG wildfires every year and the smoke can hang out for weeks on and and it stinks.

If you don't have any credible first hand sources as to large groups of people smelling "sulfur", then I'm calling bunk. Sorry, in this day and age with fraudsters such as Dutchsinse perpetuating crap information, the standard of proof has to rise.

If this was a noteworthy, media would have picked it up. The only thing they've picked up is all the fires in the area.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Abduct3d
reply to post by Red Cloak

Well you wanted sources here they are:

www.youtube.com...
possibility here:
www.youtube.com...
Maybe the BP disaster is going to cause a devastation beyond what we had calculated. Too much ground fissure and reflection in the central and southwestern american region that could give way.
did you know that there are 15 nuclear plants within a couple of miles of that fault?
endtimesrevelations.wordpress.com...
Guess that's why we have fixed a lot of bridges and roads along this region!
Next I couldn't help notice the Rossby wave effect I am seeing in the national forecast that's dipping from Canada all the way down to Baja California, please check out. en.wikipedia.org... Makes me wonder if the ripple effect from the Rossby wave could help influence earthquakes by its ripple effect on the Earth's surface!
edit on 13-3-2012 by Abduct3d because: trying to fix mistake so it will post

And that has WHAT to do with the New Madrid?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

well, here goes a story of mine. I am sure you may understand why I do not choose to tell others. But, in the way things are rolling, I do believe in what I saw, and I am estimated mid-July to end-August area, 2012.
Here goes: At the end of December, 2010, I had an awake vision. I was watching tv, and a very clear vision seemed to pop into my vision-of course it was not really in front of me-but the vision was so strong and clear, it was as if it were on the tv.
I have honestly, only had this type of vision twice, where I am wide awake and seeing clearly images that are not really there-the first one I had was over 10 years ago now. And, it was a major world event, and yes it did come true.
But, the vision I had in 2010, was a map being shown to me, it was the USA, but not as it is . It is hard to describe what I saw, but the right side- areas had curled up, and lowered areas some areas from like the LA Gulf area, and the Gulf was flowing up into this decline in the earth, the Mississippi River had flood, filling with the ocean water. There were a coupld of odd high points on the right side, that are not now inclines.
The left side had the "sinking and curling" on this side also. Ther was actually a point right at the CA, OR , NV that a high point had formed, and most of CA was under water.
Now, I cannot explain everything I saw. and I am not even going to touch the CA area with a "prediction", but I will say that I feel strongly that some of the activities I had a vision of for Arkansas side, and all the surrounding areas, I will say mid July to Mid August, 2012.
I don't thing it will be as extreme as my vision, I mean curling, I have no idea why I saw that. I do know me and you don't, so I am sure I sound like...well, you know -fill the blank with a crazy word. Somehow, I see things, feel things, and always have. But, only twice in my life, have I had these awake visions-which prob still means nothing. I don't know, It never hurts to be prepared, that's all.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Is this what you people are smelling?

SO2 is a colourless gas. It smells like burnt matches.

source:
www.airqualityontario.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I wonder if it has anything to do with the satellite images of all the venting gases in those areas from a thread a week or so ago. I can't fine the thread, but I'm sure a lot of you remember it.

Here is it: THREAD

edit on 14-3-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Link below is about a woman in who describes sulfur scented water is the first sign of a large earthquake, and it occurs several weeks before the event.

www.newson6.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Henley

Thank you. that was a very interesting article. Now thats not fear mongering. That human wisdom. As others have said and I tend to agree. We as humans have lost some of our fear reactions. But when the SHTF. we will all regress.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
"USGS says small earthquake rumbles Arkansas towns" (March 14, 2012)

LETONA, Ark. — The U.S. Geological Survey says a 2.3-magnitude earthquake was reported Wednesday morning north of Searcy.

No damages or injuries have been reported with the quake, which was centered about 10 miles north-northeast of Searcy. The USGS says the quake struck at 3:54 a.m. Wednesday and was closest to the White County towns of Letona, Pangburn and Judsonia.

www.thenewsstar.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Having relatives and being born in the Missouri Bootheel, I have always been around the area.
I have to say that the water in that area has Always had a rotten eggs or a chlorine taste and smell.
And I mean for atleast the fifty years I have been around.
This taste or smell of water in this area is not predicting anything new.

I am also worried... worried that people may not realize that if you are smelling a rotten egg, or sulfur smell, the First thing to do is to call the gas company for leaks! Not worry about earthquakes, worry about blowing yourself and others to h*ll and gone with a gas leak.

Otherwise, thanks OP for this very interesting thread. I will be watching this.
By the way... I did not know about the Gulf, thanks for giving me something to research.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissPoovey
Having relatives and being born in the Missouri Bootheel, I have always been around the area.
I have to say that the water in that area has Always had a rotten eggs or a chlorine taste and smell.
And I mean for atleast the fifty years I have been around.
This taste or smell of water in this area is not predicting anything new.

I am also worried... worried that people may not realize that if you are smelling a rotten egg, or sulfur smell, the First thing to do is to call the gas company for leaks! Not worry about earthquakes, worry about blowing yourself and others to h*ll and gone with a gas leak.

Otherwise, thanks OP for this very interesting thread. I will be watching this.
By the way... I did not know about the Gulf, thanks for giving me something to research.

I grew up in rural NY and we had well water on the property that was infused with a sulfur-smelling gas. We had to wait til the gas effervesced before drinking it, but when it did, it was really good. We had it tested and it was high-quality water with nothing harmful in it.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Here it is.

It's called MEAGFAULT Shows how the states split apart.

MegaFault was on SyFy

edit on 14-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Good theory and the sulfur smell could be an indicator.

As to "volcanoes" however, there are none. That formed in a different manner. Plutons may be there or forming, but no volcanoes.

There are lots of good sources for info on the New Madrid Fault on credible sites. Avoid the end of the world sites and go for sites that share real science. Nobody knows if and when another large quake can hit there, nobody.

I see someone used this as another excuse to dredge up the implausible ideas regarding the oil spill. When that was going on more junk science than on any other topic popped up here. People were posting illiterate nonsense on a scale almost unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The are no volcanoes in the New Madrid fault area. The sulfur smell can be a byproduct of fracking, which has been prevalent in that area. The New Madrid fault zone is part of the North American Plate. The reason for it being a seismic area is due to the fact that long long ago the are was compressed by a glacier during one of the previous ice ages. As the ground is decompressing you get earthquakes. Now how the destabilization of the sea bead in the Gulf of Mexico effects the New Madrid fault zone is unknown. To say one cause the other with out scientific proof and/or Data make that conjurer.

And as for the mass bird die offs, yes trapped gas in the earth strata can be released by geological activity. How ever they quickly dis-pate once release from the ground and are defused in the air. One such case from Yellowstone National Park killed several Bison, it was later determined that a release of trapped gases hung low to the ground and basically asphyxiated the Bison. Now for the release of gas to kill of birds in the numbers were talking about you would deferentially have many human fatalities, which there were none.

Most likely cause for the death of the birds is geomagnetic activity. Birds have magnetite in their brains (basically a biological compass) that allows them to navigate. Now if there is a major disruption to the magnetic field and the birds compass goes haywire well they can loose their bearings and crash into the ground (at least that my theory as to a cause).

The sulfur smell could be a tell tale sign that another major quake along the lime of the 1812-1813 New Madrid quakes my be fast approaching. The effects of such a quake would be utterly devastating. None of the building save the Auto Zone World Headquarters is built to survive seismic activity. There are over 100 major oil and gas pipe lines that run through that area. In the event of such an event were looking at a loss of just about every major bridge across the Mississippi in the area. And given the current economic conditions such a disaster would cripple the United States already beleaguered economy.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

I see someone used this as another excuse to dredge up the implausible ideas regarding the oil spill. When that was going on more junk science than on any other topic popped up here. People were posting illiterate nonsense on a scale almost unbelievable.

Please explain why the ideas are implausible. Also, using links to back up your statements would be helpful to everyone as well. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoEskiMo

well, here goes a story of mine. I am sure you may understand why I do not choose to tell others. But, in the way things are rolling, I do believe in what I saw, and I am estimated mid-July to end-August area, 2012.
Here goes: At the end of December, 2010, I had an awake vision. I was watching tv, and a very clear vision seemed to pop into my vision-of course it was not really in front of me-but the vision was so strong and clear, it was as if it were on the tv.
I have honestly, only had this type of vision twice, where I am wide awake and seeing clearly images that are not really there-the first one I had was over 10 years ago now. And, it was a major world event, and yes it did come true.
But, the vision I had in 2010, was a map being shown to me, it was the USA, but not as it is . It is hard to describe what I saw, but the right side- areas had curled up, and lowered areas some areas from like the LA Gulf area, and the Gulf was flowing up into this decline in the earth, the Mississippi River had flood, filling with the ocean water. There were a coupld of odd high points on the right side, that are not now inclines.
The left side had the "sinking and curling" on this side also. Ther was actually a point right at the CA, OR , NV that a high point had formed, and most of CA was under water.
Now, I cannot explain everything I saw. and I am not even going to touch the CA area with a "prediction", but I will say that I feel strongly that some of the activities I had a vision of for Arkansas side, and all the surrounding areas, I will say mid July to Mid August, 2012.
I don't thing it will be as extreme as my vision, I mean curling, I have no idea why I saw that. I do know me and you don't, so I am sure I sound like...well, you know -fill the blank with a crazy word. Somehow, I see things, feel things, and always have. But, only twice in my life, have I had these awake visions-which prob still means nothing. I don't know, It never hurts to be prepared, that's all.

This topic is very near and dear to me because all of my family lives in Illinois. Additionally, I lived in Louisiana for several years as a child, so anything that might happen due to the issue with the Gulf has me concerned as well.

Now, when I read your post, my skin turned cold. I, too, have had those "waking visions", quite sporadically, perhaps 3 times in the past 5 years. The last one I had was about 3 years ago and had to do with California and a very large quake. Well, I think it was a quake, anyway. At the time, I was cleaning my bedroom when all of a sudden, I felt a little dizzy and sat down. When I sat down, a "scene" played out in front of me, like I was watching a film. Moments into this, it was like being in the actual scene myself. I was standing on a beach that had a sidewalk between it and the street. It was quiet and early morning and cool outside. There was a jogger on the side of the street I was on and the beach was empty. Across the street was a guy on a bike. Across the street were buildings, like office buildings, but they weren't very tall, each between 5-10 stories. The noticeable thing about them was that they were white stucco. A moment later, there was a horrible cracking sound that seemed to emanate not too far from offshore, I mean, unreal how loud it was, kind of like a ripping sound. Suddenly, the white buildings across the street crumbled and crushed the guy on the bike and I found myself in the air over the city. This gave me the vantage point of being like a bird, as I could see the entire layout of the city. Water rushed in from the ocean so quickly and it just flooded everything in a matter of seconds. There will hilly streets in the city that the water climbed up like it was nothing. Then I "woke". My heart was pounding, it was so real to me. I was terrified because, at the time, I felt like it was really going to happen. I could not pinpoint a date or even a place. I felt SF, but the stucco buildings looked LAish to me. I have never been to CA, so I don't know where it was. It felt like the southern edge of a big city and the buildings were as described, with public beach access directly across from the buildings. And, I don't know why, but I feel there was also some sort of harbor area to the left (south) of that area. Initially, though, I felt it might be June or September of 2010 (I saw this in 2009). Yet, it came and went and nothing happened, thankfully.

Now, fast -forward. At the end of last year, I dreamt of seeing a USGS map of California and saw a big red box on the map. The size of the box, using the USGS key, it was at least a high 7-8. And now, this is what freaks me out about what you said, since a month or so ago, I've been unable to "see" past the end of August. I'm in CO

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MissPoovey

Sulfuric acid smells like rotten eggs.

Sulfur dioxide smells like burnt matches.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by MissPoovey

Sulfuric acid smells like rotten eggs.

Sulfur dioxide smells like burnt matches.

And your point is..?
I used the rotten egg and sulfur smell reference to include both smells. Are you saying that you should not call the gas company when smelling either of the smells? Or should one be particular on which smell to call the gas company about?
Or maybe you are saying the smells in the Bootheel water should be differenciated to the particular chemical compound?
While you are great at the one line info, you are not great at the topic at hand.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
There are no volcanoes on the area of the New Madrid fault. There might have been millions of years ago, but there are none there now.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
I wonder if it has anything to do with the satellite images of all the venting gases in those areas from a thread a week or so ago. I can't fine the thread, but I'm sure a lot of you remember it.

Here is it: THREAD

edit on 14-3-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

It has everything to do with that and it isn't venting gases. It's wild and grass fires.

Seriously? Volcanic venting in Arkansas? It's bull # like that that gives real conspiracies and conspiracy theorists a bad name.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join