It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Madrid Fault Region: Area Residents Noticing Sulfur Smells In Arkansas And Missouri

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+45 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Over the past year or so, there have been several reports of people in towns in Arkansas and Missouri, near the New Madrid fault region, that are smelling a foul odor in the air. Some compare it to dead animals or bodies, and some to sulfur.

These reports have been increasing over the last few months, and people reported noticing the smell before a recent earthquake in the region, in Missouri.

The smell of sulfur would indicate that the volcanoes in the region are beginning to activate, and that the water in-flow from the affected North American plate area (along with the pressure from the Caribbean plate), due to the destabilizing of the Gulf of Mexico sea bed, is now near to completion.

This combined with the flooding of the New Madrid rift area (which happened with the great floods earlier in the region), means that the magma chamber can now move and begin to force its way up, as the Gulf of Mexico sea floor begins to collapse, and that the necessary destabilizing of the fault area has occurred (best way to cause a quake is to flood a fault). The pressure would be actually placed also in areas like Atlantic coast and Kansas-Oklahoma for example.

Around the time of the 1811-12 New Madrid earthquakes, people in the area where the quakes occurred, noted the smell of sulfur, and especially after the quakes hit, many eyewitness accounts described a stench of sulfur in the air. This was due to the releasing of fumes from the magma chamber, up through cracks, with the pressure pushing it from the eruption sequence.

These smells are near to the area where some of the mass bird die offs recently happened in Arkansas as well.

The sulfur smell is a bad sign. It has probably taken this long just for the underground rift to flood with sea water. The fault line river areas were also already bombed and filled with river water as well, thanks to the corps of engineers.

So, the only thing missing now would be a trigger. If a trigger comes, then there will be an eruption of the fault line, which could also allow for the Gulf of Mexico sea floor to collapse and sink, thus lowering the sea level of the New Madrid fault region. This would cause massive flooding, which would also include tsunamis caused by the enormous earthquakes that would occur.

It may not be imminent, as sulfur smells were reported in the region quite awhile before the first quake in 1811. However, since the sulfur smells have now been reported for quite awhile in the current time, and since the reports of sulfur smells increased before the recent earthquake in Missouri - this would seem to imply that a quake is near. With the recent Missouri quake perhaps even being a fore quake.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Sources please, such as a local news channel. Surely they would be covering something like this.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Excellent post. I thought it was well written, so don't let the trolls bother you.

Is there a link, perhaps from a local newspaper or TV station, which can substantiate the claims of people smelling sulfur?

Also, if the Gulf of Mexico is to sink, are we talking inches or feet?

I personally agree with Edgar Cayce's prediction that the Great Lakes will one day drain directly into the Gulf of Mexico, and the only way for that to happen is through a New Madrid-area mega quake that basically bisects the United States.

Fascinating, but frightening, stuff!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bright821
reply to post by Red Cloak

did a 2 year old write this

Dunno, but my 3-year old sister easily imitated your post.

As for the OP, any sources you an link to, making it easier? I have some right here:

Missouri Sulfur Monitoring

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

This is a worry, my sister and family live in Arkansas and they have also had weird smells, next time I talk to her will ask her what is going on presently.

Hope this isn't a precursor to a quake or volcano.

Thank you for posting this.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bright821

I don't see anything wrong with the OP's post. They are just simplly conveying the fact that there has been an increase in the sulfer smell in the regeon of the New Madrid Fault zone.

Here is a video on the New Madrid quakes of the 1800's. There is alot of talk of these smells in here.

OP. Unfortunately I believe the New Madrid is closing in on a big one and it will probablty happen within the next 100 years. I believe the science puts the cycle at about 300 years or so. With all the dreams people are having and other things who knows what will happen. We can only wait and see.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I am no where near the areas, but I have smelled sulfur outside, sometimes at night. And that's in NC. I don't know if we have any volcanoes though. Could be pollen, but I don't know.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Good reasoning. Makes sense. I am interested in subscribing to your newsletter.

Hopefully it's faulty reasoning but the correlations (especially with the aspect of last years flooding that I didn't consider) are strong.

Good call. Be safe AR and MO.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Oddly enough, I remember smelling sulfur a few days ago. I'm in Kentucky, but pretty much smack dab in the middle of the state, so not close to the New Madrid. Just thought I'd mention it though. I remember thinking it was odd at the time, because I didn't know where the smell was coming from. Still don't.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

There was actually a movie about that, but I forgot what it was called.

New Madrid, something like that.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Interesting post, OP. I hadn't heard anthing about the Gulf of Mexico sinking. Can you provide a link for this info? I would like to study this more.

Sulfur smell can also be associated with a leaky gas pipeline. They run in sulfur just so that a leak can be detected. Has that been checked out?
edit on 13-3-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Nice post, well written. I am sure I'm not the only one curious about the sources of the 1811-12 witness accounts.

Also one quick ?.....
If the sea bed collapses in the gulf of Mexico it would lower the sea level and flood the area? How does that work exactly. Water ALWAYS goes for the lowest lying area. So how would making more room for water to the south cause flooding in a more elevated area to the north?

Maybe I'm not visualizing it right...

Cheers

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I did some searching and found this about foul odors in the air.

October 26, 2011

Odd odor wafts through the Ozarks

Reports of an unpleasant odor wafted into the Springfield-Greene County Health Department throughout the day Tuesday.

A department spokeswoman said nose-pinching reports came in from across the city and county. Katie Towns-Jeter also said media outlets told her the stench stretched as far away as Rolla.

The above article says the odor may be from a cold front coming through, or poultry waste, or wind. Im not sure if they ever found the source of the odor.

Im looking for more articles, but am having trouble finding much. Ill post more if I find any

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This is an interesting idea.
However, being from the "Show Me" state, I would prefer you to use sources for your ideas.
For instance the sinking of the gulf - source?
Volcano/magma chamber - source?
Sulfer smells - source?

This could be a very good thread anywhere else, but this is ATS and to deny ignorance you need to back up your theories and ideas. Or move this thread to skunk works.

So - Show Me.

edit on 13-3-2012 by MissPoovey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
OSLEEPING GIANT | New Madrid Fault | Pt 1 of 2

SLEEPING GIANT | New Madrid Fault | Pt 2 of 2

The New Madrid Fault Zone is located in the TN Valley Region, The Heartland of America...the "Bible Belt". Experts are saying this Sleeping Giant may be showing signs of waking up

I don't know about a movie but here is some more information on the New Madrid Fault, what is so scary is that it covers a very large area.

edit on 3/13/2012 by Aquarius1 because: fixed link

edit on 3/13/2012 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Sorry I'm not from US but someone just made a thread about 'Rainbow Clouds' in MA -Lancaster??? Is that anywhere near?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
Sorry I'm not from US but someone just made a thread about 'Rainbow Clouds' in MA -Lancaster??? Is that anywhere near?

Lancaster is in the state of Massachusetts on the East Coast of the U.S.

Not anywhere near Arksnsas or Missouri.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

No, Lancaster MA is in the northeast but they have been having some wicked weather up there I believe. I know we had wicked storms yesterday and last night and that should be working its way twoard that direction.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join