It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

john lear: What is fact, and which is fiction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
First, let me offer to you my sincerest gratitude (as an individual interested in these topics for some time) for taking the time to come here and discuss your thoughts with us.

That being said, I'm not going to make you happy with my questions. I apologize in advance if they may make you uncomfortable.

Originally posted by John Lear
There is not a shred of evidence for any of this, but it sure is interesting speculation.

(question 1)
In the previous thread (sorry for not contributing), you also made the point that these thoughts of yours are merely your opinion. Well, if that's the case, how are we to know which of the items you discuss are fact, and which are fiction?

Certainly your previous statement of a lunar atmosphere is a fiction.

Are we to treat every utterance in this "special event" of yours as a work of fiction? If not, how do we tell which concepts and thoughts you feel are not fictional?

(question 2)
And if everything you're relating is indeed a fictional flight of fancy, then what is the point of this "special event"? Did you express that your comments would be purely fictional with the owners of this site before beginning?

Again, I'm sorry of these questions make you uncomfortable. But they certainly beg to be asked.

Thank you.

dp

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Certainly your previous statement of a lunar atmosphere is a fiction.

Really? Have you been there? (I haven't been there either.) What are you basing your opinion on? Books? 'Scientific fact'? How do you know that is really 'fact'? Did you ever wonder what Neil Armstrong meant in his speech on the 25th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing? The one where he speculated what we would 'discover' when the 'layers of secrecy were removed'? Did you ever wonder why Neil, in the 25 years since Apollo 11 landed on the moon has given less than 5 interviews? Did you ever wonder why one of the Apollo astronauts stated in a book he wrote that all he could remember about being on the moon was a "shiny pair of black shoes"? Did you ever wonder why the LOM of every Apollo mission orbited at 70 miles above the moon? I mean, thats awfully high for a moon that is supposed to have only 1/6th the earths gravity. Did you ever wonder why NASA photo 69-HC-431 published in the 1971 Encyclopedia of Discoveryand Exploration (page 131 of the 17th volume, The Moon and Beyond by Fred Apel) can't be found by NASA, and has never again been released by NASA? Thats the photo where the moon's atmosphere appears as a dense band of blue on the lunar horizon. You know, the one taken when Neil says, "I can see the sky all around the moon, even on the rim of it, where there's no earthshine or sunshine". I always wondered why. Thats why I state that my claims are fiction. Sheer fiction. I have never been to the moon, but I speculate, without a shred of evidence, not a shred, that I could stand in the middle of the Mare Tranquillitatis, in the middle of a moon day and look up into a clear blue sky.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnlear
Really? Have you been there? (I haven't been there either.) What are you basing your opinion on? Books? 'Scientific fact'? How do you know that is really 'fact'? Did you ever wonder what Neil Armstrong meant in his speech on the 25th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing? The one where he speculated what we would 'discover' when the 'layers of secrecy were removed'? Did you ever wonder why Neil, in the 25 years since Apollo 11 landed on the moon has given less than 5 interviews? Did you ever wonder why one of the Apollo astronauts stated in a book he wrote that all he could remember about being on the moon was a "shiny pair of black shoes"? Did you ever wonder why the LOM of every Apollo mission orbited at 70 miles above the moon? I mean, thats awfully high for a moon that is supposed to have only 1/6th the earths gravity. Did you ever wonder why NASA photo 69-HC-431 published in the 1971 Encyclopedia of Discoveryand Exploration (page 131 of the 17th volume, The Moon and Beyond by Fred Apel) can't be found by NASA, and has never again been released by NASA? Thats the photo where the moon's atmosphere appears as a dense band of blue on the lunar horizon. You know, the one taken when Neil says, "I can see the sky all around the moon, even on the rim of it, where there's no earthshine or sunshine". I always wondered why. Thats why I state that my claims are fiction. Sheer fiction. I have never been to the moon, but I speculate, without a shred of evidence, not a shred, that I could stand in the middle of the Mare Tranquillitatis, in the middle of a moon day and look up into a clear blue sky.

No, I have not been to the moon. And I'm confused as to why you would ask.

However, I recall a certain event:
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

At the end of the last Apollo 15 moon walk, Commander David Scott (pictured above) performed a live demonstration for the television cameras. He held out a geologic hammer and a feather and dropped them at the same time. Because they were essentially in a vacuum, there was no air resistance and the feather fell at the same rate as the hammer, as Galileo had concluded hundreds of years before - all objects released together fall at the same rate regardless of mass.

How do you explain that? It appears that facts are against you.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
[
No, I have not been to the moon. And I'm confused as to why you would ask.

However, I recall a certain event:
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

At the end of the last Apollo 15 moon walk, Commander David Scott (pictured above) performed a live demonstration for the television cameras. He held out a geologic hammer and a feather and dropped them at the same time. Because they were essentially in a vacuum, there was no air resistance and the feather fell at the same rate as the hammer, as Galileo had concluded hundreds of years before - all objects released together fall at the same rate regardless of mass.

How do you explain that? It appears that facts are against you.

With all due respect to you and your belief systems, I asked if you had been to the moon as a way of pointing out that neither of us is likely to be able to prove his point.

With regard to the feather and hammer hat trick, my 3 year old grandson can do that.

Threatening anothers 'facts' is a hazard for truthseekers.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

With regard to the feather and hammer hat trick, my 3 year old grandson can do that.

Would you mind explaining how?

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DramaticPause

Would you mind explaining how? [/quote

The feather is weighted.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The feather is weighted.

Have you seen the demonstration video? What "very small" unseen weight could be added to the feather that would ensure it fell at the exact same rate as the larger and heavier hammer?

Also, if there was the resistance of an atmosphere, a weighted feather (wide and flat) would have adjusted to a more aerodynamic attitude during the fall. It did not, it remained parallel to the lunar surface and fell at the same rate as the hammer.

One more point.

If there is a lunar atmosphere, where are the burn-marks on the Lunar Lander from the friction of entry?

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join