It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airlines Told to Turn Over Passenger Data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

The Transportation Security Administration announced on Tuesday that it will order domestic airlines to turn over personal information about passengers to test a system that will compare their names to those on terrorist watch lists.

The system, called Secure Flight, replaces a previous plan that would have checked passenger names against commercial databases and assigned a risk level to each. That plan, which cost $103 million, was abandoned because of privacy concerns and technological issues.

The airlines will have 30 days to comment on the proposed order, which Congress gave the TSA authority to issue. Air carriers will then have 10 days to turn over data that it gathered in June, called passenger name records.

The amount of data in passenger name records varies by airline, but it typically includes name, flight origin, flight destination, flight time, duration of flight and form of payment. It can also include credit card numbers, address, telephone number and meal requests, which can indicate a person's ethnicity.

More: story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040921/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/passenger_screening

Hello security, goodbye freedom!

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with this proposal. Wouldn't you want to know that your safety is being secured by scrutinizing the passengers who may have the potential to cause a catastrophic incident? If there's no one doing any wrong, then they should have no problem with this. The government aren't after people who has a record/profile to commit atrocities. We must all endure a little inconvenience in our lives for security's sake unless we want to repeat what happened on Sept 11, 2001.

[edit on 21/9/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

The amount of data in passenger name records varies by airline, but it typically includes name, flight origin, flight destination, flight time, duration of flight and form of payment. It can also include credit card numbers, address, telephone number and meal requests, which can indicate a person's ethnicity.

Perhaps you trust our illustrious government, but I do not.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I don't really have a problem with it, but do they honestly think terrorists use their actual names?

"Here's your ticket Mr. Bin Laden..."

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

I don't either. Besides the government has had this capability for many years IMO to see who all is on the passenger manifest of airlines. Haven't they? Now they are just making it publicly known.

We must all endure a little inconvenience in our lives for security's sake unless we want to repeat what happened on Sept 11, 2001.

I'm not willing to endure any inconvenience. That right there takes away my freedoms. What's the point in having freedom if Big Brother has to watch everyone's move in this country. I'm not willing to give up my freedoms just to be safe.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

Do you trust terrorists over a government that is elected by it's people?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Considering the sitting president WASN'T elected by it's people, but by an archaic institution called the Electoral College? We actually voted for the other guy, hehe....

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I don't really have a problem with it, but do they honestly think terrorists use their actual names?

"Here's your ticket Mr. Bin Laden..."

The government would have instant access to run passengers photos with facial-recognition software. Alias's and related information would be a help in thwarting a hijackers motive. Like I said, If a person isn't doing anything wrong, they have nothing to worry about. Only the criminals will quiver at such a proposal.

[edit on 21/9/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Considering the sitting president WASN'T elected by it's people, but by an archaic institution called the Electoral College? We actually voted for the other guy, hehe....

Exactly and don't forget that Congress stopped the ballot count giving Bush the presidency when Gore could've won in the end.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder

Exactly and don't forget that Congress stopped the ballot count giving Bush the presidency when Gore could've won in the end.

The Supreme Court stopped the ballot count and even after the fact, it was found out that Bush won the popular vote. The ballot count was continued by independant sources.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Originally posted by mrmulder

The Supreme Court stopped the ballot count and even after the fact, it was found out that Bush won the popular vote. The ballot count was continued by independant sources.

Uh, no. On October 9th, the Miami Herald published the results of the final, and universally recognized as the most accurate, recount of Florida votes in the 2000 election. The BDO Seidman manual recount established that Al Gore won the state of Florida by 662 votes.

democrats.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

The BDO Seidman manual recount established that Al Gore won the state of Florida by 662 votes.

That was my understanding as well..

Regardless, I really don't have a problem with it, as it's info already in a database anyhow... I just doubt it will be effective. The government can already tap into such databases, so it's kind of a moot point...this just makes it faster, and more effective is all.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
There is nothing wrong with this proposal. Wouldn't you want to know that your safety is being secured by scrutinizing the passengers who may have the potential to cause a catastrophic incident? If there's no one doing any wrong, then they should have no problem with this. The government aren't after people who has a record/profile to commit atrocities. We must all endure a little inconvenience in our lives for security's sake unless we want to repeat what happened on Sept 11, 2001.

Insert popular quote regarding freedoms by Benjamin Franklin here

insert comment on NAZI government and taking people away by Christian priest here

Soooooooo ... is anyone checking the 4000+ illegal alien crossings that occur every day? It's estimated that there may be up to 15,000,000 illegals in the united states now. ( Time Magazine online )

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson
Soooooooo ... is anyone checking the 4000+ illegal alien crossings that occur every day? It's estimated that there may be up to 15,000,000 illegals in the united states now.

I read the same article. The illegals coming in don't scare me as much as the ease in which they are getting in. I wonder how much more secure we would be if we were spending 220 billion on border security instead of creating terrorist havens in Iraq.

They won't need to get in on airlines anymore, just fly into Mexico and drag some WMD's across the border.

new topics

top topics

join