It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conclusive evidence that the system is broken.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Peter Joseph speaks at TEDx about how and why the system is currently broken. He uses common sense and makes very valid points in a very accessible way.

An analogy he uses

If you lived on an Island with a small group of people and you had a finite amount of resources with a natural generation of growth and a very simplified society, would you deside to make an economic system that would try to use that up as fast as possible. No, I'm afraid the earth is an isolated Island in a cosmic Sea and is alot smaller than you think.

I think this is a very valid and serious discussion that we as a human species needs to make sooner rather than later. Given the state of the economy, ecology and society in generals I think it refreshing that he not only points out the flaws but also offers solutions.

I would like to see both for and against opinions regarding the obvious problems and logical solutions that are given in this presentation.

I look forward to your comments.

edit on 13-3-2012 by MouldyCrumpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I very much liked Peter Joseph's manner, here. I think it was the most humble I've ever seen him, in this talk. He seemed subdued, and almost a little nervous at times.

I have a feeling that we're going to find that the loss of the Zeitgeist Movement was probably the best thing that could have happened to Mr. Joseph. I think it and TVP were a stone around his neck, in the end. I think his experience there has removed a lot of his former arrogance, as well; which will clear the way for him to make contributions that will be even more valuable than those he has already made.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
I very much liked Peter Joseph's manner, here. I think it was the most humble I've ever seen him, in this talk. He seemed subdued, and almost a little nervous at times.

I have a feeling that we're going to find that the loss of the Zeitgeist Movement was probably the best thing that could have happened to Mr. Joseph. I think it and TVP were a stone around his neck, in the end. I think his experience there has removed a lot of his former arrogance, as well; which will clear the way for him to make contributions that will be even more valuable than those he has already made.

Excellent observation, indeed he seemed more down to earth and is addressing issues that people can grasp and understand.

I was never a fan of the way the venus project attacked the issue it was too pie in the sky for the average joe to eat, I understand the issues they had with society but the way they went about preaching it seemed doomed to failure from the beginning.

It's got to be a majority vote and we have to get the majority to see this is a sinking ship and the idiots at the helm keep pumping water INTO the ship instead of OUT of it.

You dont have to be a genius to figure out the system is broken just look around.

It all stems back to greed and fear of loss. These are all archaic archetypes that need to be abandoned if the majority are to survive. I hear so many people denying that we are up sh!t creek. I wonder do they wake up with their head up their collective arses??

Either that or they have a death wish....

We cants keep going the way we are going, that much should be obvious to even the most dimwitted individual.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
Excellent observation, indeed he seemed more down to earth and is addressing issues that people can grasp and understand.

I don't think actually understanding Jacque's model is really necessary, because truthfully I have issues myself.

The point is a perspective on technology, which differs fundamentally from transhumanism in an important way. The transhumanist perspective tends to be that technological advancement is going to come inevitably, and we have no choice in the matter. I believe (and I think Jacque also did) that we absolutely do have a choice in how we interact with it, and that we need to make sure that we do it with integrity.

I was never a fan of the way the venus project attacked the issue it was too pie in the sky for the average joe to eat, I understand the issues they had with society but the way they went about preaching it seemed doomed to failure from the beginning.

In technical terms, the single biggest problem that TVP had was that it didn't scale down far enough. Jacque wanted to build an entire city straight out of the gate; it was never going to happen. I think incremental automation within the individual home is going to have to come first. Jacque may not like that, (in fact I know he wouldn't) because he wants to build the entire thing as a completely integrated system; but ideally, integrated systems actually get built from the smallest point to the largest, not the other way around. The UNIX design philosophy taught me that.

We cants keep going the way we are going, that much should be obvious to even the most dimwitted individual.

Unfortunately, it isn't. You only need to observe the adherents of the political/economic Right on this forum, to see that. People keep saying, don't play the left/right game, but that is dishonest in my mind. The two major defining characteristics of the Right, as far as I am concerned, are a complete incapacity for compassion, and a refusal to change irrespective of whether said refusal leads to our extinction. The latter in particular is what the word conservative means.

new topics

top topics

join