It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A LOW-flying fireball lit up Melbourne skys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
For a second time with in a week a fireball has lit up melbournes sky/ Anything to it?

Article

A LOW-flying fireball has lit up Melbourne's sky sparking speculation as to what the object was.

Twitter went into overdrive shortly after the object was seen across Victoria about 8.40pm.

Herald Sun reader Yvonne Greig said she saw the firey object go across the sky in Scoresby.

“It was very low in the sky, going from west to east, had a large burning ball at the front with a thin trail behind it,” she said.

Paul Zuegn from Roxburgh Park said he thought the object was “heading for earth.”

“I was looking out towards the city and I saw a comet, it was white in colour had a very big trail behind it … I was waiting for it to hit earth, it seemed to be that close,” he said.

“It wasn’t a UFO or anything like that, it was on a straight trajectory and I was just waiting for a big bang.

“I’ve seen shooting stars, everything like that, this was very different."

Michelle Lena said the object split in two as it passed her Blackburn home.

“I was amazed, I couldn’t believe it,” she said. “It was very quick, it was over in seconds.”

Astronomical Society of Victoria spokesman Perry Vlahos said the International Space Station was passing overhead about the time the fireball was sighted.

But he said while he didn’t see the object, its description meant it was most likely a meteor.

“Despite what people saw in reality it is something quite small, and was probably no bigger than a marble.”

He said the meteor posed no threat.

“It is certainly not something for people to be concerned about, ” he said.

“If it was much larger it would have lit up the sky and cast a significant shadow on the ground.”

Last Monday a similar fireball roared through the sky leaving many thinking a plane had crashed.

The meteor was seen across Victoria at about 10.45pm last Monday.

The fireball even caused a sensation in the UK with police inundated with emergency phone calls.

The control tower in Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport was also flooded with calls from locals fearing there had been a plane crash.

edit on 12-3-2012 by gate13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Use the

[
e
x
]

tags if you're going to quote the article.

Just a suggestion.
edit on 12-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Oh man! Missed it again! I'm going to go sit outside for a while in case there's a few more to come!

Here's the thread from the other one last week. Meteor Shower Melbourne

edit:

Spent a good 40 mins outside, observed 2 more meteors (about 10 minutes apart) both coming from approx S.S.E to N.N.W. Very brief, but quite a thrill to see the end of a billion year journey.

edit on 12-3-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
This event sounds very similar to the "near miss" of an object in the Northwestern U S several years ago.

I have seen the film taken of it several times and it looks kind of scarry to think about a hit from one of these things.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
bluebeam test

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
The sky was quite active here this past Saturday also. Nothing compared to what you guys are seeing.
I saw 4 shooting star type and one that was a small fireball. More than usual for this time of year.
I wonder what is causing the disturbance?
edit on 3/12/2012 by mugger because: sp.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

image taken of the firball

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by gate13

That is the fireball that was sucking energy from the sun not too long along I bet.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I think it was a plane.

Planes have been appearing like this for the last month or so.

High altitude sun still going down over the horizon reflects on the plane, makes object flying appear like its ball of light.

I have video of the exact same thing occurring.
coming from the south going north.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by amraks
I think it was a plane.

Planes have been appearing like this for the last month or so.

High altitude sun still going down over the horizon reflects on the plane, makes object flying appear like its ball of light.

I have video of the exact same thing occurring.
coming from the south going north.

Hmmm. Well, I think your completely off base here. Firstly, I know what your talking about, looks pretty awesome as well... BUT
in this case I don't think its anyway near close to what was witnessed.

The streaking tail (which may be fuel dump/contrail in setting sunlight as you say, but)
It was over in seconds! Planes don't take seconds to go from horizon to horizon in straight lines! Also, it was seen to SPLIT in two! Which does occur with our incoming space travelling rocky friends, NOT with planes.

Also, keep in mind the event had multiple witnesses, and a almost identical event happened the week earlier (with decent photo - I linked to it).

top topics

join