It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Criticize the Government – Get Time in Jail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
After discovering this week that congress was moving to repeal portions of NDAA to remove the ability of the government to detain American citizens on US soil, I posed the question “I wonder what the government will come up with next?”

Well, it only took one day to find out!

Now, in a self-serving move aimed more at insulating government officials from discontent voters than protecting their hides, Congress has overwhelmingly approved legislation that will keep the public not just at arms’ length distance but a football field away by making it a federal crime to protest or assemble in the vicinity of protected government officials.

Specifically, the bill, which now awaits President Obama’s signature, levies a fine and up to a year in prison against anyone found in violation, and if the person violating the statute is carrying a “dangerous weapon,” the prison sentence is bumped up to no more than ten years. Thus, a person eating in a diner while a presidential candidate is trying to score political points with the locals could be arrested if government agents determine that he is acting “disorderly.” Mind you, depending on who’s making the assessment, anything can be considered disorderly, including someone exercising his right to free speech by muttering to himself about a government official. And if that person happens to have a pocketknife or nail clippers in his possession (or any other innocuous item that could be interpreted by the police as “dangerous”), he could face up to ten years in prison.
www.rutherford.org...

This stems from an incident with former VP Dick Cheney discussed a few years ago in this thread.

What ever happened to the first amendment? I thought “Congress shall make no law … abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances?”

If the president signs this law, say good bye to peacefully protesting or even holding a sign in the presence of an elected official. The egregious usurpation of power is escalating under this administration at an alarming rate.

How will this law affect OWS and the Tea Party?? Will you DARE protest with the knowledge that you could be arrested and spend up to 10 years in jail??

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
This has already been posted, but I wholeheartedly agree with you.

This country is going to crap, and the process speeds up every day. First they try and take away our 1st Amendment rights What's next? Our 2nd?

I'd love to see them try that one...
edit on 3/11/2012 by ArrowsNV because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

Whoops...I searched but couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
You know what really pushed this over
is those glitter bombing morons!

Free speech stops at physically
touching/throwing things on someone, be it with glitter, or throwing
a glass of water on them..

This bill is going to get signed so fast
by Obama it would make your head spin.

This is trickle up tyranny!!

Little by little, any reason these government shills
can gain more control they will.

Look at the demonetization of Rush Limbaugh
for using his free speech...
Wanting to press charges against him
for what he said..

People this is a slippery slope,
Left or Right of the aisle,
your going to regret calling
to be-head someone because
you disagree with them, your going to
regret it all when it is YOU in the cuffs
for simply speaking your mind..

edit on 11-3-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I hope Congress floors the gas pedal on legislation like this, it will crash the system much faster than their slow boiling frog technique.

Make it illegal to say anything negative about the POTUS, with 1000 year sentences.
Make eating live foods illegal.
Make clean air filters illegal.
Make hugs illegal.
Make laughter over age 6 illegal.
Make cursing warrant the death penalty.
Make home schooling & vaccine evading illegal.
Tax people per the hour spent outdoors.
Tax people for jogging and putting out too much CO2.
Tax people for NOT watching TV.
Tax natural spring water $100 a bottle.

Just some of my suggestions for Congress to consider.
Some of those aren't that far fetched in comparison to the type of legislation being passed and/or considered.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Thank God I don't go out and protest. I do it on forums like this.

If they start outlawing this I'm probably due for about 100 life sentences.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Actually, isn’t that part of what SOPA is about??

We’re screwed!! It’s just amazing that the media refuse to give things like this the attention it deserves. I didn’t realize just how many are completely OWNED by their corporate overlords.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I could see this backfire if we got 10-20 thousand protesters in washington. Would love to see them try and pull that one off. Biggest arrest in US history, the publicity would be astounding.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Thing is, this bill doesn't mean anything until cops/law enforcement decide to ignore the constitution they swore to uphold, and go out and enforce a law in direct conflict with our constitutional rights.

Obama won't be the person in the streets enforcing such a bill. It's law enforcement once again ignoring the oath they once made. Could make the argument anyone caught enforcing such a bill is a traitor, and a criminal in their own right. Of course they won't see it this way, and will just say they're following orders, but that's just a sorry excuse for not knowing the constitution, and not taking accountability for the oath they made prior.

Anyone enforcing such laws, just as cops enforce laws which violate our rights, is in reality a midget of a man. If cops/law enforcement are as intelligent as they say they are, and are scholars of the constitution as they act they are, we should be hearing an uproar coast to coast later this week about how this violates our constitutional rights. Doubt we'll hear a thing.
edit on 11-3-2012 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Thing is, this bill doesn't mean anything until cops/law enforcement decide to ignore the constitution they swore to uphold, and go out and enforce a law in direct conflict with our constitutional rights.

Obama won't be the person in the streets enforcing such a bill. It's law enforcement once again ignoring the oath they once made. Could make the argument anyone caught enforcing such a bill is a traitor, and a criminal in their own right. Of course they won't see it this way, and will just say they're following orders, but that's just a sorry excuse for not knowing the constitution, and not taking accountability for the oath they made prior.

Yes, but laws like this gives these men justification for actions against the people, does it not? This is opening a door and we don't exactly know what's on the other side (nor were we ever supposed to find out).

Anyone enforcing such laws, just as cops enforce laws which violate our rights, is in reality a midget of a man. If cops/law enforcement are as intelligent as they say they are, and are scholars of the constitution as they act they are, we should be hearing an uproar coast to coast later this week about how this violates our constitutional rights. Doubt we'll hear a thing.

There have been many oath keepers speaking out and taking action. I documented some in this thread and also this thread but haven’t followed up recently.

edit on 11-3-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Double Post
edit on 11-3-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
it is happening all over the world now. it was wrong when it happened in communist countries and countries with dictators. but in the us? this is sh** hitting the fan.

new topics

top topics

join