It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptics....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Im a skeptic as you probably know...and in some cases despise
Im not saying i dont believe there is other life in the universe, just doubtful we have, or are being visited by ET's.

When are you guys and gals going to start taking your subject seriously? Im very disappointing in the evidence being presented of late.

It seems to me that us skeptics are doing all the work. We are the real Ufologists. You present the countless pieces of evidence you have found on Youtube and UFO forums, and we tear them apart. Thats what you are supposed to do before saying "PROOF" or "EVIDENCE" in the thread title.

Where has your pride gone? Its been a long time since ive seen anything remotely unidentifiable.

Please, save me a few hours a week by doing your own research before posting vids

Mods....i suppose this is a rant, but its about this forum...didnt know where best to post, so do your magic and move if needs be

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Im not saying i dont believe there is other life in the universe, just doubtful we have, or are being visited by ET's.

When are you guys and gals going to start taking your subject seriously? Im very disappointing in the evidence being presented of late.

It seems to me that us skeptics are doing all the work. We are the real Ufologists. You present the countless pieces of evidence you have found on Youtube and UFO forums, and we tear them apart. Thats what you are supposed to do before saying "PROOF" or "EVIDENCE" in the thread title.

Where has your pride gone? Its been a long time since ive seen anything remotely unidentifiable.

Please, save me a few hours a week by doing your own research before posting vids

Mods....i suppose this is a rant, but its about this forum...didnt know where best to post, so do your magic and move if needs be

A good skeptic has to be an educated skeptic in order to shoot down fraudelent claims. No forum exists where believers post evidence. If they could post evidence they would cease being believers. A skeptic is a natural person because believers are operating as mentally-conditioned individuals. They are not using their brain 100% because something or someone owns part of that 100%. As an example, you cannot be a skeptic and also be religious.

Not all skeptics educate themselves, they just don't accept believers' claims. Some skeptics, such as myself, educate themselves to see why believers believe. Learning how cults operate and how cult deprogramers have a hard road to hoe because they are dealing with the worst kind of control, mental control.

A skeptic doesn't accept claims because the concepts expressed in a claim violate common sense, logic, and reason. But on the other hand, not all skeptics know how to use common sense, logic, and reason. Believers accept that there is life outside of earth and that this life is flitting around in UFOs from x amount of galaxies away. Never mind the logistics of getting here from there. Einstein must be laughing his rear off!

You can't rail against believers and the questionable material they love to look for, find and then post here. They're doing the best they can and you, as a skeptic, have to realize this. You nor I are ever going to change their minds because that requires cult deprogramming and to be such requires training.

The best thing to do is point out the fallacy of the claims and hope something gets through. They'll still be believers but by pointing out how their claims are faulty perhaps a dent in the believers' armor can be breached.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by The Shrike

I have never understood this about skeptics.

The best thing to do is point out the fallacy of the claims and hope something gets through. They'll still be believers but by pointing out how their claims are faulty perhaps a dent in the believers' armor can be breached.

Why put a dent in their armor? Why is it so difficult for some "skeptics" to allow others to believe that Aliens have visited this planet? Almost every time a member posts a video or pic in this forum someone comes along and tries to make the OP look foolish. I agree that there are a lot of ridiculous videos and/or pictures that pop up on here, but why is it so important for some members(skeptics) to have to point the ridiculous out?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Forgive me for my stupidity and ignorance when I choose to believe the words of astronauts with PhDs and other higher ranking individuals from the higher realms of acadamia, and choose to dismiss your opinion and believe their professional experiences and the experiences their senses have garnered. I whole heartedly apologize if this somehow offends you and diminishes the quality of your ATS experiences. I can appreciate the bombastic hokum just as much as the next slub believer here on ATS, but I certainly am not a proponent of the floccinaucinihilipipification of anything imparticular.

As for my personal view, I am absolute in my belief we have been visited.

When are you guys and gals going to start taking your subject seriously?

yesterday.

Im very disappointing in the evidence being presented of late.

Yet you are comfortable discounting all events in the past and have no problems whatsoever implying all those who have witnessed such things as either being mistaken, or liars.

It seems to me that us skeptics are doing all the work.

Of course it does.

We are the real Ufologists.

Of course you are.

Where has your pride gone?

And how does pride factor in as a variable in the equation when seeking the truth? What does pride have to do with it at all? What is is, and what is not is not, whether I have feelings about it or not.

Its been a long time since ive seen anything remotely unidentifiable.

I first learned about compound words early in grade school and how they are words reduced to syllables and connected to form new words.

Are flying saucers low to the ground, low to the horizon? Yes or no?

sure.

Saucer low? Sure
Disc low? Sure

UFO buffs want full disclosure?
disc low sure
disc lo sure
disclosure.

This concludes my third grade remedial lesson on English.

Can do buddy!!

peace.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

The thing with blindly believing astronauts is some of them are absolultely CRAZY BONKERS COOKOOO....

Just because one has a bunch of letters after their name or was an astronaut does not automatically give them absolute credence, IMO.....

And with all the trashing of NASA around here....im shocked anyone would take the word of an astronaut as 100% truthful.
so ironic to me....
In one hand people are claiming NASA is nothing but cover ups....on the other hand people say "but this or that astronaut said this!".....

edit on March 9th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
reply to post by The Shrike

I have never understood this about skeptics.

Why put a dent in their armor? Why is it so difficult for some "skeptics" to allow others to believe that Aliens have visited this planet? Almost every time a member posts a video or pic in this forum someone comes along and tries to make the OP look foolish. I agree that there are a lot of ridiculous videos and/or pictures that pop up on here, but why is it so important for some members(skeptics) to have to point the ridiculous out?

Look, humans either improve their lot or they don't. Can you imagine what life on earth would be like if beliefs didn't exist? If the trillions of dollars that have been wasted on religion had been put to education instead? Prosaic education would result in a race of super-intelligent beings not tethered to ridiculous beliefs that control their lives? YouTube wouldn't have a single fake video of UFOs/ETs because everyone would have the ability to not need to fool anyone! Ponzi schemes would be history!

Of course, if beliefs didn't exist neither would this forum.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Indeed, the fact is there are people that believe in every walk of life. Just because an astronaut believes, doesnt mean they are any more credible than the next guy.

Most, if not all of these people making these claims also make a shed load of money off the back of them. That is motivation enough in my eyes for these people to talk in riddles and concoct stories. Can you imagine how many ufologists contact astronauts every year....of course they are going to cash in on it.

Im in the process of debunking half a dozen more UFO vids on Youtube....funny thing is, debunking videos dont get any views, no one wants to see their fantasy explained. Its evident from the amount of Youtube UFO channels that there is good money to be made from people posting vids on sites like this for discussion.

People blindly discuss a light in the sky, in there thousands. People like fantasy it seems over truth.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Are the same people that claim coverups, the same people that trust astronaut's words though? I certainly hope not

There are some people here that stick to a topic or two, and others like me who go all over the place

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Im in the process of debunking half a dozen more UFO vids on Youtube....funny thing is, debunking videos dont get any views, no one wants to see their fantasy explained. Its evident from the amount of Youtube UFO channels that there is good money to be made from people posting vids on sites like this for discussion.

People blindly discuss a light in the sky, in there thousands. People like fantasy it seems over truth.

Very true. in regards to the YT channels...notice how most of these uploads come with google ads layed over top of them? So for every view they are getting paid for each and every one of us to view these vids......

Sounds like a great way of making easy $$

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Are the same people that claim coverups, the same people that trust astronaut's words though? I certainly hope not

There are some people here that stick to a topic or two, and others like me who go all over the place

I have not done an official study....but Id bet it could be found to be true.....

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Its been a long time since ive seen anything remotely unidentifiable.

I first learned about compound words early in grade school and how they are words reduced to syllables and connected to form new words. Are flying saucers low to the ground, low to the horizon? Yes or no? sure. Saucer low? Sure Disc low? Sure UFO buffs want full disclosure? disc low sure disc lo sure disclosure. This concludes my third grade remedial lesson on English.

Very good

Though i am english, not everyone on here can speak the language as eloquently as you. We/i may not be over concerned because, we are not being graded on spelling and grammar, rather on our abilities to contribute meaningful posts to threads.

Your fascination at peoples grammar should be put to use on a language site, LiveMocha appreciate perfectionists like you

This is one thing i find, if you try and discuss things like this you will eventually be confronted by some smart ass remark which serves no purpose in the discussion.

*sigh*

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Sorry that didn't show up right. Will try again

edit on 3/9/2012 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

Never mind. Not sure why I decided to get caught up in this bait trap.
edit on 3/9/2012 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

A few thousand views per month, per video could equal £100s a month. If they are partners they also get paid per 1000 views (upto $3 per 1000). So a video with 1m views has earned the uploader $3000 from views, probably another $500 from clicking adverts.

Most of the UFO Youtubers dream of becoming partners. More subscribers, more advertizing, more money.

UFO channels with views in the millions are making a good $200-$2000 a month from the ads. I make about $18 per 10,000 views. (People clicking ads)

The more people blindly buy into this, the harder it will become for the true enthusiast.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

More than likely, you are a habitual debunker rather than a skeptic.

A true skeptic does their best to be objective about the "evidence" presented.
A true skeptic doesn't rely on their own preconceived notions.
A true skeptic is continually questioning their own beliefs and "facts".
A true skeptic is interested in getting as close as they can to the truth of a matter. Whether or not it matches their personal belief system.

There are very few skeptics on ATS. There are many debunkers.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

A true skeptic is interested in getting as close as they can to the truth of a matter. Whether or not it matches their personal belief system.

Well thank the aliens on Mars for debunkers....or else all those hoaxes and misidentifications would be proclaimed as truth and extraterrestrial stuff

de·bunk
verb (used with object)
to expose or excoriate (a claim, assertion, sentiment, etc.) as being pretentious, false, or exaggerated: to debunk advertising

edit on March 9th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

The thing with blindly believing astronauts is some of them are absolultely CRAZY BONKERS COOKOOO....

[color=ADD8E6] ★

Absolutely loved that story. Nope, although I'm not a pyschiatrist or psychologist I certainly cannot argue in favor of her mind being stable and her not being mentally compromised. I remember her first public statement through her lawyer and the part she was most upset about was that she didn't want people either knowing or thinking she wore the diapers the whole drive to where she was going.

But, there are many high ranking contractors with decades of experience and the job titles to suggest if there was something to know, that they may indeed know some pieces to the puzzle. And, most certainly, I do take the individuals into account when choosing to believe or disbelieve their accounts.

In the cases of Gordon Cooper, Edgar Mitchell, Buzz Aldrin, and my personal dealings with Steve Nagel, I believe these gentlemen believe what it is they have shared and that they personally are convinced their senses have garnerred such experiences. I neither choose to disregard or discredit their senses, nor do I choose to imply they are liars who are purposefully misrepresenting the truth.

Steven R. Nagel (Colonel, USAF, Ret.)
NASA Astronaut (former)

PERSONAL DATA: Born October 27, 1946, in Canton, Illinois.
www.jsc.nasa.gov...

Although I do not subscribe to all the information shared in Dan Aykroyd's Unplugged on ufos, there are very clear transmission referencing "unidentified flying objects" by astronauts aboard the space shuttles, and (albeit questionable) footage of ufos in high orbit as filmed from Earth's spacecrafts I choose to not totally disbelieve.

Lastly, and most importantly to me, is my own personal experiences with unidentified flying objects that behaved so unlike any aircraft I was familiar with after nearly a decade in the Air Force while stationed in Nevada, and I highly doubt were ours considering some of the circumstances surrounding the events.

In my mind there is more than sufficient evidence in the public domain to strongly suggest we have indeed been visited. There is also enough evidence in the form of misdirection and misinformation in the public domain to provide sufficient enough doubt as to not believe we have indeed been visited for the sake of national securities, for the sake of peoples' sanity, and for the sake of the privacy of the affairs of those who have visited. In other words it has been by design that people who are not prepared to deal with such possibilities that such possibilities are intentionally presented as impossible for the protection of those choosing to believe or be skeptical.

Just because one has a bunch of letters after their name or was an astronaut does not automatically give them absolute credence, IMO.....

And you and I agree on this point. But, how many are you prepared to not believe?

And with all the trashing of NASA around here....im shocked anyone would take the word of an astronaut as 100% truthful.

Not an astronaut. Astronauts, plural.

Hope we are good greeneyedleo.

It just so happens, I like you.

edit on 9-3-2012 by ILikeStars because: [color=ADD8E6] ★

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

A true skeptic says: "Take pictures"

A true skeptic is an astute picker of those pictures

For some a Conspiracy Theory can be a Hypnotic Sorcery.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

You may appreciate some of the topics of discussion in the link in my signature. The shortest distance between science fiction and reality. I need to post more examples sometime soon, but you might find it somewhat relevant.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on that post of mine.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Are the same people that claim coverups, the same people that trust astronaut's words though?

You do realize that it is the astronauts themselves who are screaming about coverups, right?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Absolutely totally agree 100%... There are far too many people looking at all the so called evidence through fantasy glasses! Gets a little tedious after a while when I see many reacting to new footage put forward with words like: 'oh yeah, i guess these are chinese lanterns or balloons with lights attached' etc etc--- when 9 times out of 10 it's bleeding obvious this is exactly what they are zzzzzzzzzzz!! Oh well, there ya go...

edit on 10-3-2012 by dejarmaX because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-3-2012 by dejarmaX because: spilling mistook

edit on 10-3-2012 by dejarmaX because: pc crashed

new topics

top topics

join