It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Island of 26,000 missing for 2 days now - (La Tortue, Haiti)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The last I heard the death toll from Jeanne in Haiti has topped 2400 and I can find nothing about La Tortue disappearing.

Haiti flood death toll rises to 2,400

Reuters in Gonaives
Wednesday September 29, 2004
The Guardian

More than a week after devastating floods hit northern Haiti, aid workers are still struggling to feed thousands of people and the death toll continues to rise as reports come in from outlying areas.
The estimated toll from the floods triggered by tropical storm Jeanne rose to about 2,400 after a parish priest reported a "total disaster" in small towns in Poteau, a region outside Gonaives.

In Gonaives, young men grabbed food from an aid convoy and others robbed women for bags of rice.

Aid workers, backed by armed UN peacekeepers, increased the number of distribution points for emergency supplies in the port city of 200,000 people, but still faced tense crowds.
www.guardian.co.uk...

www.google.com...

[edit on 04/9/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson
This says it all!
Rebels!

Good point.
There was an earthquake as we know,
causing a tsunami which drowned the island.
And if rebels were controlling the island...
However, it seems like the island had a population over 50.000.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Listen...I'm a bit worried here...The hurricane in Ha�ti is a VERY big DISASTER o.k! This is something that every country should show on the news...there are like more than 2000 persons who are dead and everything is completely ruined. Ha�ti is the poorest country in America and now they are in deep problems. Who helps them?!! Where I come from QU�BEC, they made a big fund raising to help them, special reports on t.v, it's something everybody talks about here! Americans don't give a crap about poor little ''nobodys'' who live in Ha�ti. Why?! In America there was a hurrican and it was like a major catastrophy but in Ha�ti, it's 10X worst! I'm so glad I live in a country that CARES for poor countries!!!!

Send love to ha�tians
Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
this story has completely bewildered me because of the lack of coverage. Anyways, I emailed every news organization I could think of with a request to investigate this, let's see if anything changes and anyone mentions La Tortue in the next day or so.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
OK, well it's still there. Sorry to disappoint everyone. It's still been a hell of a hurricane season.

These storms just keep finding their way to Florida, even when they shouldn't. Since when does a storm in the gulf hook for Florida? It should have hit the southern coast or Texas. Ivan did a big friggin circle and hit twice! Jeanne started to drift away, it did a circle out at sea, crossed it's own path, and came back in on exactly the same place that Ivan hit.
Who wants to make a wager? I'm starting to think that Florida will get ALL of the hurricanes that hit the US this season- I'm guessing at least 1 more, maybe 2 or who knows how many.
Something has changed. Is it the Atlantic Current? Global Warming? HAARP? I dunno. I just know that this feels like the virtual reality release of "The Day After Tomorrow".

Isn't it obvious? God must be tired of George W. saying that God is on his side in everything that he does and God has decided to back the Democrats by destroying Florida and eliminating the possibility of Jeb giving his brother a second term.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amelia
Listen...I'm a bit worried here...The hurricane in Ha�ti is a VERY big DISASTER o.k! This is something that every country should show on the news...there are like more than 2000 persons who are dead and everything is completely ruined. Ha�ti is the poorest country in America and now they are in deep problems. Who helps them?!! Where I come from QU�BEC, they made a big fund raising to help them, special reports on t.v, it's something everybody talks about here! Americans don't give a crap about poor little ''nobodys'' who live in Ha�ti. Why?! In America there was a hurrican and it was like a major catastrophy but in Ha�ti, it's 10X worst! I'm so glad I live in a country that CARES for poor countries!!!!

Send love to ha�tians

Amelia,

Not living in the US, how can you say that we don't give a crap about this situation. Consider the fact that parts of our own population have been devastated by this disaster. Isn't it logical that the US news coverage would focus on the US tragedies? I'm sure the Haitian news isn't talking about how bad things are in Florida.

I'll even go so far as to say if a huge blizzard devastaed the North-Eastern portion of North America, the Canadian news wouldn't focus on how bad things were in America. I think you being too judgemental.

BTW - Thought you might want to do some research before continuing to judge people....
Floridians working to help Carribean hurricane victims
other organizations across the US trying to help

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Listen, I'm Sorry, I never judge nobody, I'm judging governments, not people individually, I would NEVER do that!

They always say on T.V here, that we are the only one helping that much...we are very into it right now, it's like the big thing goin on...like first page in the news and so on...We have a lot of Haitians here..a LOT LOT that might be the answer

I'M really sorry if I offended you babe, thanks for the link

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr No One

Americans don't give a crap about poor little ''nobodys'' who live in Ha�ti. Why?! In America there was a hurrican and it was like a major catastrophy but in Ha�ti, it's 10X worst! I'm so glad I live in a country that CARES for

Not living in the US, how can you say that we don't give a crap about this situation.

I'm getting just a little sick of snot-nosed, self-righteous Canadians bashing the US at every opportunity.

Here, Amelia, do some research and you will learn that the US has been bailing Haiti out of trouble for the better part of a hundred years, if not longer.

www.google.com...

Check out these statistics on what the US puts out in Foreign Aid.
www.google.com...

www.google.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by Mr No One

Americans don't give a crap about poor little ''nobodys'' who live in Ha�ti. Why?! In America there was a hurrican and it was like a major catastrophy but in Ha�ti, it's 10X worst! I'm so glad I live in a country that CARES for

Not living in the US, how can you say that we don't give a crap about this situation.

I'm getting just a little sick of snot-nosed, self-righteous Canadians bashing the US at every opportunity.

Here, Amelia, do some research and you will learn that the US has been bailing Haiti out of trouble for the better part of a hundred years, if not longer.

www.google.com...

Check out these statistics on what the US puts out in Foreign Aid.
www.google.com...

www.google.com...

I SAID I'M SORRY....I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are goin to forgive me???? I'm just over devastated by the world misery

Please don't hate canadians (I'm french canadian actually)

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I SAID I'M SORRY....I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are goin to forgive me???? I'm just over devastated by the world misery

Please don't hate canadians (I'm french canadian actually)

I forgive you. Actually, I've been very fond of all the Canadians I've known personally.

America is a government of the people, by the people and for the people.

www.loc.gov...

You cannot bash our government without bashing our people--the loyal ones, that is.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I believe Haiti is deserving of more news coverage here in the US. I heard a visiting priest from Haiti say that if you think you know poverty here in the US, you don't really know what poverty is. In Haiti the word destitute has a special meaning. The country has no resources except foreign aid I believe I heard.

It is normal in Haiti during good times to have no power and right now it is a struggle to even find drinking water I heard. Stories of dogs eating corpses lying on the streets sounds pretty bad too.

I was a bit surprised that instead of asking for donations that much, the priest gave thanks to the people who were donating to FOOD FOR THE POOR. I believe he said something like 96 cents out of every dollar was going to the poor to provide beans, rice, and milk and some other basic necessities.

[edit on 29-9-2004 by orionthehunter]

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Okay I finally got a reply regarding this story from Don Noe, Local10 meteorologist.
www.local10.com...

here's his reply:
From what I can gather, if there was an earthquake around the time of the
tropical storm, it was minor and would not have caused any damage, let
alonge a tsunami. Believe me, if something drastic happened, the news media
would have been all over it!

dn

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Okay I finally got a reply regarding this story from Don Noe, Local10 meteorologist.
www.local10.com...

here's his reply:
From what I can gather, if there was an earthquake around the time of the
tropical storm, it was minor and would not have caused any damage, let
alonge a tsunami. Believe me, if something drastic happened, the news media
would have been all over it!

dn

Sorry, but I�m not buying it.

This article says : "Fears were growing for remote L'iles de la Tortue, which was was hit by a tsunami."

And what about this earthquake:

USGS: Magnitude 5.7 - NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN
2004 September 18 07:07:48 UTC

The fact that USGS now have removed this earthquake doesn�t make me change my mind.
They�re hiding something...

EDIT: I found the quake. It has a new link instead of the old one.
They even had a better zoomed picture (below) :
neic.usgs.gov...

[edit on 2004/9/30 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Hellmutt you don't have to buy, because I am not selling it

It's just rather strange that there isn't any additional coverage of this story on any major news source.

I recommend that if you interested in finding out the truth, you too should contact all media sources you know and ask them. If enough people hound them, maybe they will send cameras out to La Tortue to prove definitely what happened once and for all.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
does anyone speak french???

this article mentions La Tortue but I haven't a clue what it says:

www.haiti-news.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
i can't believe i actually found something:

haitisupport.gn.apc.org...
21 September - The government delegate for the North-West, Henry Max T�lus, has denied rumours going round Port-au-Prince that the island of La Tortue is submerged by flood-waters. He said that La Tortue was not hit by floods and that only bodies washed up on the shore from the mainland had been found. The delegate took the opportunity to deplore the fact that he had no means to help those effected by the disaster, adding that only one lorry carrying food had reached the department. (AHP)

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
You are going to have to search a little deeper to find out the magnatude of the human tragedy taking place right now in Haiti. The same must be said for finding out what is currently being done to relieve the suffering in Bangladesh, Florida, India, and all the other complicated disasters.

My first search was to the Red Cross-Red Cresent website where I found their most recent assessment of the problems in Haiti is dated Sept 24, 2004, a week ago.

Here's the link to the pdf file.
www.ifrc.org.../220401.pdf

As of the 24th the Red Cross had airlifted 32 tons of rice, beans and oil to be distributed where it is needed the most.

Since that date I have seen the rioting at distribution centers in Gonavies (spelling?) and the hasty retreat back to the armed and steel door armed fortress warehouse and the poigniant video clip of red cross rice, beans and oil for sale on the local black market for three and four times the normal price.

Hence the Chinese have been deputized by the UN to go to Haiti and manage the distribution of food stores under the almighty blue beret.

I, personally, can't bear watching much televised news these days.

No one seems to be able to act with human compassion or caring. Sad times.

The Salvation Army, and the plethora of charities are in place, or moving goods to the scene, helping alleve the suffering. It will take more than plastic tarps and a few pounds of dry foods to heal these wounds.

So far I haven't found any believable reporting regarding the missing inhabitants of Tortuga. I fear for the worst and hope for the best.

And I sincerely doubt there were any last minute dramatic rescues that removed that many people from Tortuga to Haiti. The logistics of such an endeavor appears to exceed the capababilities of those in power in Haiti.

rad

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
www.networkforgood.org...

www.catholicnews.com... - 13k

Art work by Haitian Artists that have been donated to help build the relief funds for this descimated country. See this link for pages of paintings and drawings that the purchase of makes a contribution to Haitian relief.

www.medalia.net...

www.medalia.net...

Hurricane Jeanne
"Tropical storm Jeanne hit Haiti between 17 and 19 September with torrential rains causing severe flooding and landslides in the north of the country. The most affected departments include l'Artibonite, Plateau Central, Sud and the Nord-Ouest. The town of Gona�ves, with a population of around 200,000 people, and its surrounding area has been hardest hit. ...

Today, 24 September, only some 30 per cent of roads are accessible, complicating access for aid to be brought in to the town. 95 per cent of Gona�ves has been affected and only houses on the side of the hills have been spared...The death toll has risen to over 1,000 in Gona�ves alone and the number of missing and feared dead has been placed at around 1,250..."

*excerpted from recent Red Cross/Red Crescent Update

For those wishing to make a donation to help the people of Haiti we recommend the following:

American Red Cross - donate funds online for international disaster relief
International Red Cross/Red Crescent - donate online and earmark donation for Haiti
International Red Cross/Red Crescent - donate to Haiti (or general fund) via bank transfer
Haitian National Red Cross Society - contact information for Haitian branch of the Red Cross
CARE - contribute to the emergency appeal for $3 million to provide assistance flood survivors in northwestern Haiti.
UNICEF - supporting Hurricane Relief in the Caribbean
For those of you who are interested in sending tangible goods such as food and clothing to haiti we urge you to read this article from the Red Cross.

www.buzzle.com...

How You Can Help Haiti's Flood Victims
As the full extent of the devastation wreaked by tropical storm Jeanne emerges, George Wright reports on aid agencies' relief efforts and how you can contribute.
By Guardian Newspapers, 9/24/2004

Jeanne has claimed at least 700 lives in Haiti and destroyed homes and farms, but its impact has been greatly exacerbated by the underlying problems of deforestation and poverty.

The Red Cross is sending a plane carrying 5,000 blankets, 1,100 hygiene kits and 900 kitchen sets to meet the immediate needs of people on the island, many of whom have been made homeless. It has also launched a £1.8m emergency appeal to provide further support for Jeanne's victims.

"Many people have lost everything and we urgently need to provide food, shelter and clean water. Thousands of families have had their homes ruined or destroyed and the floodwaters have contaminated the water supply," said British Red Cross expert on the region Philippe Puyo-Tschanz.

"It's vital that clean water is provided to prevent this disaster becoming a public health crisis."

The British Red Cross is also running a Caribbean appeal to assist people in the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Haiti, Grenada and Cuba who have been affected by the recent hurricanes.

People can donate by calling 0870 169 9191, or by writing to Caribbean Hurricane Appeal, British Red Cross, FREEPOST, London, SW1X 7BR.

Oxfam is concentrating efforts on setting up supplies of clean water for survivors whose homes and livelihoods have been destroyed by the storm.

Let's not just talk about this, people. Let's do something to help.

Find a charity of your choice and make a donation. Or start a rice bag collection in your office, school, or church. Make helping others a part of your life. With the way things are going right now on star ship earth, the next person in need might be you.

rad

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
[I found the quake. It has a new link instead of the old one.
neic.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MattMarriott

Originally posted by Hellmutt
[I found the quake. It has a new link instead of the old one.
neic.usgs.gov...

Have you ever experienced a 5.7 magnitude earthquake?

I have. I lived in Vancouver BC for 8 years and then in Los Angeles for 2 years. A 5.7 earthquake is about as disasterous as a large semi truck rumbling on by beside your house. Sure, some dishes rattle, and maybe something gets broken because it falls down - but it sure as heck doesn't cause loss of life (unless a picture frame falls on your head) and it certainly doesn't cause any disaster (unless that picture was a Rembrant and it fell in your pool).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join