It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teriyaki sauce made easy as 1 2 3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This is another trick I learned that Yoshida's and Kikkoman DON'T want you to know (not to mention your local Teriyaki joint). Since many people want to eat healthier and/or cheaper, I figured I'd share.

Basic Teriyaki Sauce
1 part rice wine (mirin)
2 parts soy sauce
3 parts white sugar

Add all ingredients to a saucepan on medium and bring to a slow simmer, stir until sugar is dissolved, let cool and store in refrigerator until needed.

For the health conscious and adventurous, here's some options:

Use organic and/or low sodium soy sauce
Use organic Sake instead of mirin (or sherry if you're in a jam)
Use organic or raw cane sugar instead of the normal white sugar
Add 3-4 1/4" slices of fresh ginger to the sauce while simmering, then remove before bottling/storing (aka hawaiian teriyaki)
Add a dash or two of pepper flakes (or Korean roasted chili powder) and you got spicy teriyaki sauce.

One of these days I want to figure out how to make an Agave nectar version, it has to be possible.

Happy cooking

edit on 7-3-2012 by Aliquandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

A tip for use of your home made sauce...use it to marinate thin sliced beef strips for making beef jerky. This way you can control the flavor and heat in your finished product.

Thanks for posting your recipe......

Des

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Thanks for the recipe.

For a little more of a sweet&sour taste, I also usually add a bit of crushed pineapple and a half teaspoon of white vinegar.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Nice! both great ideas, i love beef and sweet and sour, ok so I love most all food.

One trick if you want the best teriyaki beef, but it takes extra work and time; marinate beef overnight in pineapple juice first, then drain and add the teriyaki sauce an hour or two before cooking it. Why you might ask? Well salt is actually a toughener of beef (and pork, depending on how you use it), but sugar is a tenderizer (look at my bulgogi recipe for an example). I could guess you could also simply deconstruct the teriyaki into it's pieces, and marinate overnite in pineapple juice and mirin (3 parts and one part respectively) then add the 2 parts soy an hour before cooking?

One thing I do sometimes is take a pork loin, stab it in regular intervals with a paring knife, then marinate over night in pineapple juice, then push pineapple chunks into the slots you cut and grille, basting with a thickened teriyaki.

Dang I'm so hungry now!!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliquandro
This is another trick I learned that Yoshida's and Kikkoman DON'T want you to know (not to mention your local Teriyaki joint). Since many people want to eat healthier and/or cheaper, I figured I'd share.

Basic Teriyaki Sauce
1 part rice wine (mirin)
2 parts soy sauce
3 parts white sugar

Add all ingredients to a saucepan on medium and bring to a slow simmer, stir until sugar is dissolved, let cool and store in refrigerator until needed.

Uh...What is a part?

1/4 cup or Tablespoon? Or do either work.

Just wanna know for the cooking impaired.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Originally posted by Aliquandro

Basic Teriyaki Sauce
1 part rice wine (mirin)
2 parts soy sauce
3 parts white sugar

Uh...What is a part?

1/4 cup or Tablespoon? Or do either work.

Just wanna know for the cooking impaired.

I tried to make this simple and it backfired!

replace "part" with any measurement you desire, one cup, one tablespoon, one gallon , one swimming pool
It really doesn't matter, it's apparently so simple that it's also confusing.

I know better now. Thank you!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Aliquandro,

I want you to build a Ark. The length of the ark 300 cubits, its breadth 50 cubits, and its height 30 cubits.

I know, I know...whats a cubit?

Hang on a sec, I used to know this one...let me google it and send a JPEG to your Windows.

But thanks...I'm a bit of a mad scientist when it comes to cookin'.

edit on 7-3-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Aliquandro,

I want you to build a Ark. The length of the ark 300 cubits, its breadth 50 cubits, and its height 30 cubits.

I know, I know...whats a cubit?

Hang on a sec, I used to know this one...let me google it and send a JPEG to your Windows.

But thanks...I'm a bit of a mad scientist when it comes to cookin'.

edit on 7-3-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

Ok you so you got me
, thanks for the good humor mate, it goes a long ways around here I'm starting to think

new topics

top topics

join