It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Rice made simple and perfect, ANY pot, every time.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This is the knowledge I learned from an amazing Korean woman on how to make rice the top secret way
The need for a rice cooker is simply one extra pan in the kitchen to me, and not a 'survivalist' approach.

What you will need:
1) Any pot with a tight fitting lid that is at least 2" deeper than the finished volume of rice will fill (I'm single and I use a typical nonstick 1 qt saucepan to make 4 cups total of cooked rice [2 c uncooked])
2) Water
3) Stove
4) One normal and proportionate human hand (you must not be missing digits or have a club or flipper hand)
5) White Rice: I recommend buying good quality, more expensive brands like Kokuho Rose. I use that brand simply because it's versatile; I can use it for sushi, chinese, korean, fried rice, rice soup, you name it.

First step is to decide if you want sticky or fluffy, dry rice. If you want sticky, simply rinse once. If you want very fluffy dry rice rinse it until you no longer see cloudy white in the water. I use tap water while stirring the rice with my fingers.

Next is to add enough water that it covers to the top the last 2 segments of your 4 fingers as they rest flat against the surface of the rice. It's like a gentle knuckle punch to the surface of the rice, the volume of rice to pan always works with this measurement, ALWAYS.

Then bring to a boil uncovered, once boiling turn stove to low and stir for 5 minutes until it comes down in heat a bit. Then cover it and set a timer for 25 minutes. That's it!

Troubleshooting/suggestions:
Q: My rice tastes stale
A: Buy better rice, look for the dates and where it was grown (in the US i prefer CA grown high quality short grain. Nikko Nikko sucks by the way.

Q: Does this work with any rice?
A: Only white varieties of rice, like short grain, long grain, jasmine, and basmati.

Q: Really, ANY pan with a lid?
A: Yes, providing its not too porous (cast iron) or corrosive (I'm not fond of aluminum, but it will work).

Q: How do I store my extra cooked rice?
A: Simply get a CLEAN wooden spoon, and (providing you don't live in too humid or dry of a house) simply leave the rice covered on the stovetop and it should keep for almost a week. Just NEVER use a spoon with any other food particles on it and just microwave or reheat the rice on low for 10 minutes. One trick is to invest in a cheap bamboo rice spoon and leave in a jar of clean water when you have cooked rice ready.

Rice is a great source of starch and energy for hard working types, and has less fattening qualities than wheat and potatoes. If you are overweight I'd suggest try replacing your breads, pastas, taters and starches with rice for a month or two and check the difference, you might be surprised.

Happy cooking friends!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Thanks. Sometimes rice can be tricky and intimidating.

When I was first married, we lived with my in-laws who were from Columbia. My mother in law always used to toast the uncooked, dry rice at the bottom of a hot pot, and then add water. I had never seen rice made that way before.

When I lived in Hawaii, the rice always had to rinsed. Growing up, my mom never rinsed the rice, so this was new to me. I made a lot of gummy rice, before I was told it needed to be rinsed.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
you should clarify the water level part. is it half an inch of water covering the rice, less or more.

using your method, the second segment of your finger would be your middle knuckle. that's about an inch laying your hand flat on the rice

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
OUCH!

Help OP, my hand is getting really really hot in here!

Great rice tips! So, you just leave your leftovers on the stove covered?? Not the fridge??? Can I ask why a wooden spoon and not metal? And are you leaving the spoon in there when its covered? *thinking now* My brain now says "perhaps its a wooden spoon in there to soak up moisture?". Would that be right?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
you should clarify the water level part. is it half an inch of water covering the rice, less or more.

using your method, the second segment of your finger would be your middle knuckle. that's about an inch laying your hand flat on the rice

Yes the typical human finger is roughly 1/2" thick, but you actually use your finger ends directly in the COLD water, bent at the middle knuckle, that is correct.

The bamboo rice spoon is cool in that it has a flat blade to break apart your rice with. Also it wont scratch a teflon or aluminum pan
Leaving it in a jar of water helps if you are eating off that pot of rice for a few days (also helps to change to water in the jar daily). Yes I leave mine out at room temp for about 3-4 days until it's used up.

Some recipes, like red beans and rice, or other creole style rice dishes, you can brown the rice in butter or the meat fat before adding a measured amount of liquids. But that is an entirely different technique. This is just your plain and simple steamed white rice.

new topics

top topics

join