It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avatar upload: Step by step instructions with pictures (2012)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I've been seeing a lot of new members having problems with their avatars and asking for help.

So I thought it would be a good idea to make an up to date thread with step by step instructions and pictures to make the process easier. (I thought it'd be good to have it in a thread of its own instead of having to post this as a reply in every thread)

First:

Size requirements:

Avatars Maximum pixel dimensions: 170 pixels wide by 240 pixels high.
Maximum file size: Remains 75k

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds

When you go to TOOLS+, ATS Uploads, you see the uploader (and the images, if you have previously uploaded any):

To upload, you click the "select image file" button and choose one from your computer. Now you can see the image you uploaded:

Click on the image you want and you'll see this open up in another window:

Here you can choose what you want to use it for.

If you click on Avatar, it will take you to your profile, where you can change the settings:

Scroll down and you'll find the Avatar option:

Choose submit (remember about the size rules) and it should show the avatar:

I hope it helps

The 5/3 Upgrade Avatar upload thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on Sun Jan 5 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
thanks alot pal it worked a treat.......... ive been trying 4 ages

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by nofear39

You're welcome

I remember when I was uploading my avatar for the first time, the system was different then but I still had problems. Sometimes you follow instructions and they don't show up anyway, that happens when the avatar is too big, so you always have to make sure the size requirements are met.

edit on 5-3-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

and my pic must be the wrong size because its only showing the top half
can ya explain plz pal

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nofear39

It was too big, try with this one:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

all i can say is thanks alot pal ... i appriciate it

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Oh thank you, OP! I have such a pathetic success rate with uploading graphics over the last year. But this thread presents a challenge for me which I'll take on again, with your most welcomed assistance. So I can't tell you how much I appreciate this thread.

I do have two questions I hope someone can answer:
1. I found a picture on a weather site where people were invited to upload their photos. I'm not confident about the copyright laws anymore. I know who took the photo I'd like, but I don't have contact info to ask for permission to use it as an avatar. Would it be ok to use it and credit the person in the signature line?
2. On my account page, I have clicked on the option to hide avatars. Does this mean others cannot see my avatar next to my posts too, or just me?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Nice one, your thread is a great help to new members

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I'm not sure about your first question, so I can't say if it'd be ok or not. But the "hide avatar" option works just for you, so you won't be seeing other member's avatars, but they will be able to see yours.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Thanks for your reply, I just had to make sure.
So much for the premiss in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that if we can't see them, they can't see us, eh?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Ahhhh, success finally! I discovered that my problem lies with Paint and not with the upload feature. Hope you like the new avatar.

My gratitude goes to Kat Shroeder for the photograph of a redtail hawk.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Thank you very much!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Mini Profile Background

If the size limitations seem a bit small to you, you can use a background image instead. You upload an "empty" image so the text in the profile is pushed down and you can use the whole space.

Size requirements:

Pixel Space: 180 pixels wide and 400-480 pixels tall

Maximum Pixel Dimensions: 200 pixels wide by 700 pixels tall.

Maximum File Size: 100k if you're using a clear-GIF as your avatar, if not, the combined file size of your avatar and background image cannot exceed 150k.

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds

Instructions:

1) Put this link: files.abovetopsecret.com... in the "Avatar" section on your profile. (The size is 170X240)

2) Upload the image you want as background:

Click on it and (when the new window opens up) select "Profile Background". It will take you to your profile, scroll down until you see the "Your Background Image" option and click submit:

3) Make sure your username is readable. You can choose the font color:

Now you have a background image

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'm sorry if this bothers anyone, but I'm a bit new to this and I didn't know any other way to check and see if my signature quote was appearing or not unless I posted. This is merely just to see if it appears. If there's an easier way to know, then don't hesitate to tell me. I need all the help I can get.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
This, as much or more than anything else, is what keeps me coming back and spending time on ATS

Community

What an outstanding thread from an outstanding Member

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by XxForgottenLegendxX

It's ok. When I wanted to check if my signature was working, I'd open in a new tab an old post (I see you're new, so maybe one on your introduction thread) and refresh it when I made any changes to the signature, to see if it looked the way I wanted it too.

I did the same when I was testing this avatar / background image method to see if it worked as I wrote it, I'd refresh and old post to see how it looked.

I must have looked like a lunatic changing my mini profile every 2 minutes

I don't think it would be wrong if members posted here their doubts, it's what the thread is for, to try and help each other

reply to post by semperfortis

edit on 20-3-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

appreciate the thread casandra.
still struggling with re-sizing an image for avatar/background. folders don't seem to want to delete existing mess-ups. any tips? btw the image is jpg and well under required kb limit.
regards fakedirt.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

To delete an uploaded image, click on the red X at the bottom:

You could post the image here, if you want, like nofear39 did some posts above.

I'll re-size it, try it and if it works I'll post it back here

edit on 20-3-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

i've attempted to delete images not needed and it seems the system freezes during the process. it's the same with the upload. i am in no particular hurry on this so i will satisfy the problem is not on my end first.
thanks for the response casandra.

f

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Signature

Size requirements:

No larger than 600 pixels wide by 70 pixels tall.
Maximum file size of 50kb.

Signature Guidelines

Ok, for this there's a long way and a short way.

Short way:

1) Upload the image, click on it and when the options appear, select "Use in a Post" and copy the link.

2) Go to your Account Settings and scroll down until you find the option "Your Signature" and paste the link there:

Click "submit".

Long way:

1) Upload the image, click on it and when the options appear, select "Signature".

2) It will take you to "Your Signature" options on your profile. Now, here you get the whole link but you only need the image name:

3) Delete the rest and click submit:

And now you have a signature image:

I know the long way doesn't really seem that long, I just put it here so we can see what happens when you click on the "Signature" option, and why you don't really have to.

edit on 29-3-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join