It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicken Adobo recipe: the best Filipino dish I know, complete with condiment recipe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
This dish is one of my favorites, and once tried it quickly becomes all my friends/family favorite too. Something about the smell of slow cooked chicken, tons of garlic, and vinegar combined makes people hungry even after they just ate. This is not diet food, don't even try it with anything boneless or chicken breast, just forget it!

This is my version, it's not authentic but insanely delicious.

Chicken Adobo Recipe:

8-10 chicken drumsticks and/or thighs (bone in with skin on)
3/4 cup coconut vinegar (or apple cider or distilled white)
1/4 c brown sugar
2 Tb paprika
8-10 large cloves garlic crushed
1 large yellow or sweet onion diced roughly
4 bay leaves
1 Tb soy sauce
1/4 cup coconut milk (i use instant powdered from asian markets)
water enough to cover chicken
salt and pepper to taste

Start by bringing a large deep skillet (enough to fit the chicken with room for liquid) to medium high. An electric skillet or crockpot might work well too. Brown the chicken lightly on both sides, then add enough water and bring to a boil. As you wait for the stock to boil add your bay leaves, onions, garlic, soy, sugar, paprika, and coconut milk.

Once boiling, lower heat to a LOW simmer, lower the better and leave uncovered. With a pair of tongs turn your chicken every 20 minutes. After 30 minutes taste your stock to balance the sour/sweet/salt flavors. It should be very slightly sweet, fairly tart/sour, and also lightly salty. Add more salt, vinegar or sugar as your taste requires remembering the sauce will reduce some and the flavors will build. After 45-60 minutes check the chicken for doneness, it should be almost falling off the bone. Cook until its at this stage, then remove bay leaves and serve on steamed white rice (be sure to ladle the sauce on too), or with Pancit noodle (I'll post that recipe soon). Also if you like extra spicy or sour Adobo here's the traditional vinegar side dish recipe:

Filipino Vinegar side dish

3 cups coconut vinegar (or apple cider or distilled white)
8 cloves garlic roughly diced
1-2 tsp hot chili flakes

Grab a glass pickle jar or bottle that will hold 4 c liquid. Add the raw garlic and chili flakes to the jar. Bring the vinegar to a boil in a saucepan, then add immediately to jar with garlic and chili, allow to cool uncovered, then keep refrigerated.

Filipino food is very delicious but sometimes fattening or high sodium, so be warned. In my opinion this dish will convert most of those who dislike Asian food.

Happy cooking!

edit on 5-3-2012 by Aliquandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

What about the Magic Sarap (MSG)??? Even though it's not needed, the people use it here in whatever brand that has the fanciest packaging.. Adobo is good stuff though! Nice thread and recipe, though I prefer fresh sliced chili in the sauce =)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I've never even heard of Sarap (but I'll keep an eye out for it now). Where I live has almost no filipino restaurants and only ok Asian markets, plus I'm a white guy with a non-cultural, non-culinary upbringing.

I never tried a very spicy version yet, mostly since I thought it would conflict with the sour/sweet/salty balance, but I'll bet you're right and it's great. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll be trying it soon

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
A little pansit and some lumpias to go with that and you have one of the world's best meals.

Thanks for posting this recipe.

new topics

top topics

join