It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hell no! City will not rehire cop convicted of DUI and hit and run

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well this is a victory for the sane people across America.

City Council member votes "hell no" on Thoma settlement

The Spokane City Council voted on Monday night against a settlement in which a Spokane police officer fired in 2009 after a DUI and hit and run, would have been rehired and received $275,000.

Public testimony on the matter was accepted.

In a settlement mediated by the Washington State Human Rights Commission, Brad Thoma was set to be rehired March 1 in a demoted position of detective, if the Spokane City Council agreed to the deal on Monday.

Councilmember Mike Fagan said during the City Council meeting, "I not only say no, but I say hell no."

Councilwoman Amber Waldref says before the detective was fired the city offered him a desk job where he wouldn’t have to drive.

Thoma will not be rehired; will not receive $275,000 in back pay.

And they wanted to give him back pay...

Good thing to see not everyone is a 24/7/365 bad cops boot licker.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

24/7/365

What does this mean?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The cop made $90000 a year or more??? Thats a little out of line if you ask me

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It shocks me that this is in the news, this should be a given. No one should be re-hired to the police force after a Hit'n'run/DUI.

It Should be news if anyone with these Were re-hired.

Just makes me think, if they made a news story of someone not getting re-hired, how many are getting re-hired with no coverage?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

It means 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days of the year. I find it appalling that the thought of back pay would even be considered, and they even prior offered him a desk job. I feel if as a citizen you injure or attack a cop your sentence is more harsh it should be the same when the police themselves break the law.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

24/7/365

What does this mean?

It means 24 hours a day , 7 days a week and 365 days a year. But they do have today off being Febuary 29th so once every four years the boot lockers get a rest.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I hope this is the beginning of the end of cops covering for bad cops. It makes them all look like bad cops when that happens. The good old boy status quo syndrome, needs a good old fashioned shaking up.

Kudos to this city for taking back the reins of control.....

top topics

join